Panther Ausf D Befehlspanzer.

Stef N.

A small update. Wheels painted and ready for a gloss coat. Tank painted in a base dark brown. A mix of Tamiya flat earth, brown, sg black and a touch of blue to cool it a bit. (Tamiya browns are always warm browns). I got to painting the side guards and my airbrush started playing up and I realised it needed a damn good clean. So cleaned and oiled and readied for the base, light base and camo stages.

Finally a photo of the remainders of the kit. Good value for money.The spares box is getting a bit filled now though.

p?i=c7892accc11478428c6e7b5463a28bd7

p?i=9adb671616ee85162d2e4d295fe10c8c

p?i=bb8b3c6c9265291d5aa02d9aa21eebb2

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Andy. It polishes up rather well.

Talking of polishing, the inner wheel rims rubbed against the track guide horns leaving them as shiny bare steel, if you are not muddying up your tracks and wheels look for this on Panther photos. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

On 21/10/2020 at 18:52, Jasper dog said:

Thanks for the heads up re burnishing fluid, I've three bottles coming from Poland but for future reference it would be handier getting it from the UK.

Let us know how it performs,  if you wouldn't mind?

Meng does do a great kit, I've there M4A3 on hold at the mo but it's like a well detailed Tamiya kit!

Good luck 

I gave the Ultimate burnishing fluid a trial tonight and it works rather well. The only problems with it were from my end as it was the first time using such a product. I hadn't dislodged some air bubbles like I had been told so there are a few silver areas left, but nothing that can't be covered up with mud/dust. Also, for personal preference, I should have left them in a bit longer to get a bit darker. I gave them a good half hour or so but a bit longer next time. (I was expecting a strong smell from the fluid but no smell at all.)

A product I'd recommend if you need an option in the future.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I gave the Ultimate burnishing fluid a trial tonight and it works rather well. The only problems with it were from my end as it was the first time using such a product. I hadn't dislodged some air bubbles like I had been told so there are a few silver areas left, but nothing that can't be covered up with mud/dust. Also, for personal preference, I should have left them in a bit longer to get a bit darker. I gave them a good half hour or so but a bit longer next time. (I was expecting a strong smell from the fluid but no smell at all.)

A product I'd recommend if you need an option in the future.

Cheers, always worth knowing!

Thanks 

• Like 1

Wow been a while since i checked in stef...this is comin on really well......wheels look fantastic and the nice neat tyre paint job looks the biz :like:.....did you hand paint the black or use rim masks

• Thanks 1

I think it was a Nashorn that finally put me off handpainting wheels so I bought a circle template and now use that. So much better and cleaner results.😀

I now have the hardest part so far to confront and that is the green stripes. A chance to see how far my airbrushing skills have progressed.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I think it was a Nashorn that finally put me off handpainting wheels so I bought a circle template and now use that. So much better and cleaner results.😀

I now have the hardest part so far to confront and that is the green stripes. A chance to see how far my airbrushing skills have progressed.

I have the Tamiya Nashorn sitting in the stash. 
That’s one of the future projects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

I have the Tamiya Nashorn sitting in the stash. 
That’s one of the future projects. 

I'd put that as one of the best Tamiya kits I have done. A brilliant kit to build and great looking model at the end. Plenty of room for extra detailing but not necessary. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought I'd knock up some of the tracks to see how they looked. 3 evening sessions later and I have nearly finished them. Time consuming but rather therapeutic. The colour is good but you can see a few spots I've missed by not clearing air bubbles properly. No biggie as they'll get covered in stuff of some sort.

p?i=bc015190fdd5d08f2d3e4f0e3b42ea6e

p?i=35d7a9248bb898f810c29c008f1872d8

p?i=4df9ec446f5346b4cd9adf6e41a19980

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Stef N. said:

I thought I'd knock up some of the tracks to see how they looked. 3 evening sessions later and I have nearly finished them. Time consuming but rather therapeutic. The colour is good but you can see a few spots I've missed by not clearing air bubbles properly. No biggie as they'll get covered in stuff of some sort.

p?i=bc015190fdd5d08f2d3e4f0e3b42ea6e

p?i=35d7a9248bb898f810c29c008f1872d8

p?i=4df9ec446f5346b4cd9adf6e41a19980

They look mighty fine to me Stef great work 👍 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks Andy, rather pleased with how they have turned out. A new technique for me but glad I listened to the tips I was given and gave it a try. Money and time well spent.👍

Good job the tips are free mate or id be bankrupt 😀🙂👍

• Haha 1

Another update. I smeared the tracks with a light coat of brown madder alizarin oil to darken/cover up some of the air bubble spots. Looks ok and with some extra pastels at the end should look good. I painted the body with Tamiya XF88 and highlights with a mix XF88+XF57+X2. I also had a first try at freehand camo, using XF58 (olive green) based on the Trojca paintings, and it went well. A couple of bits of heavy handedness in some areas and the green needs a bit of calming down but once filters etc are done it should blend in more, hopefully. Gloss coat and decals next. And because my weekends are going to be free for the next who knows how long, I may have this properly finished in a couple of weeks and try the other Panther in the stash.

p?i=55352a609e158f474c001d333321f4ac

p?i=3492ca02129fbb6eb94de486591bdcf8

p?i=f60e840eb010e0a2e68dfd52740db529

p?i=21813772fd905487dc3a9baf2d90193e

p?i=1634c5df6b9f68d0fecff12d0b151595

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Andy. The photos have highlighted one splodge in the middle of the side guard that I'll need to tweak but other than that I'm happy with the results.👍

I've already learnt that filters and weathering soon hide any imperfections mate, and having looked at the tracks again they really are superb well worth the effort 👏 👍 

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the positive words. Looking forward to getting this washed and filtered to make it less factory fresh. And I musn't forget the aerials and tools, hiding away there in the bottom of the box.😀👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Why do i get the feeling i'm gonna be the last person to finish in this GB ................comin on nicely Stef. :goodjob:

As a latecomer, I haven't even started yet, but there's an outside chance I can get something done before his oil paint dries 🙃

Looks good so far.  I'm taking notes for my D...  not sure how I'll get on with the camo.

Edited by Six97s
  • Haha 3