Panther Ausf D Befehlspanzer.

Stef N.

Here is the project I will be attempting for this group build. I was looking for something a little bit different and I saw this version in Trojca's Im Detail. It is a command tank seen in Italy in early 44 and the good people at Meng provide the extra bits to do this. Also as it looks like a complicated kit I wanted a simpler paint job and this comes in either plain DG or DG with a few green stripes.

p?i=5fb208f5ae76eef97cecfce83b5b2a4e

Some nice photo etch and plenty of sprues including two turrets and two sets of wheels.

p?i=4447c5825bfb965aa79632e403ed023dp?i=c59347aec4532a6a3f9f0a64a5ffa816

What fresh hell is this??😀

p?i=31caf2b99b33848b938025d4e36dc59f

Got these extras on the way. The one I will be doing is the I02. (E).

spacer.pngspacer.png

This is the best photo I have found so far. Got a book on the way so hopefully a bit more clarity.

spacer.png

I am still a novice when it comes to Panthers so any advice and tips are greatly appreciated. Good luck to you all and will enjoy looking in on your builds.👍

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Nice looking model but those tracks look like hard work. :unsure:

Yeah, they look a bit of a headache. I'm reasonably competent at individual links but whoever thought individual guide horns was a good idea? The sideguards are looking more useful by the minute.😀

• Like 2

Yeah, Meng Panther tracks.... I opted for Fruils on the Jagdpanther, lifes to short for the multipart indi links, imo!

Really beware of the poly caps to swinging arms....very very tight fit and once on they don't come off without risking breaking an arm!

Great project and good luck.

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a bit of research there is a case of good news, bad news. The good news is that I don't need to use those tracks. The bad news is that I will have to spend some more money on a later set. Fruils are tempting, if expensive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Fruils are tempting, if expensive.

As Eva Longoria says, because its worth it....

Fruils are nice aren't they, bath of fluid and they come out looking like the real thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Yeah, they look a bit of a headache. I'm reasonably competent at individual links but whoever thought individual guide horns was a good idea? The sideguards are looking more useful by the minute.😀

Tracks like those are a good example that brands seem to think that the more parts a kit has the better.

I'm not a panzer builder.

But if I build one in this GB it will be with vinyl tracks.Like those in the early Italeri kits.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

As Eva Longoria says, because its worth it....

Fruils are nice aren't they, bath of fluid and they come out looking like the real thing.

I haven't used the fluid on them yet, but looking at the recent Jagdtiger thread it certainly works an absolute treat.

I have some link and length tracks with a Das Werk A so I will give them a try first but if that is a failure then Historex are getting a nice order.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Tracks like those are a good example that brands seem to think that the more parts a kit has the better.

I'm not a panzer builder.

But if I build one in this GB it will be with vinyl tracks.Like those in the early Italeri kits.

There is a habit of excessive detail in some kits. Some of it is good, a lot is unnecessary.

Vinyl tracks aren't bad, some of the newer Tamiya ones are very well detailed, but personal preference means I will usually go for an hard plastic/metal set.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

It does look good. But I also have the "mustn't spend anymore money" mantra going through my head. That's normally a sign my paypal account is getting a good booting tomorrow.😀

Thank god for that.....thought it was just me!

I keep adding to the shopping cart, look at and think....hmmmm!:hmmm:

Trick is...wait till the evening of choice, have a beverage or two,  then pull the trigger!

Dont hurt as much then!!:frantic:

• Haha 2

An update for today. Some work got done. the wheels cleaned and semi assembled, ready for painting, and the base put together. So far so good. I must say Meng kits fit together really well, with no filling needed so far, no headaches or swearing and the detail is great without being OTT. And some great texturing on certain items.

I'm learning all the time about Panthers. I'd heard but completely forgotten about the 16 bolt/24 bolt wheels but luckily the producers had supplied both. Also the different hubs for the drive wheels. Loads of other little differences that can be easily missed. The copy of Achtung Panzer I bought about 20 odd years ago is turning up trumps.

p?i=cc461b816c69a8493fe20d763a65568f

p?i=9aa9cf293ca46542a35a59365fea033ep?i=a779dd3832e5850f3ba0e7d676f4dc58

• Like 10

On 10/10/2020 at 23:01, Jasper dog said:

Thank god for that.....thought it was just me!

I keep adding to the shopping cart, look at and think....hmmmm!:hmmm:

Trick is...wait till the evening of choice, have a beverage or two,  then pull the trigger!

Dont hurt as much then!!:frantic:

I crumbled eventually. My theory was that if I plundered from one kit then I would have to replace them eventually anyway so might as well bite the bullet now. And that is how I persuaded myself to spend £30.😳😀

Can you recommend some of that burnishing fluid. There are few types on the market just wondering what works best. Cheers.

As an aside I had a look on Amazon for Fruils and some companies were asking for £130?? Not sure what that pricing is about.

• Like 3

The fluid I used was AKs own which I believe is a rebrand of another one, if I remember which I'll let you know. It will melt the wire used to pin the track links together if left in the bath too long btw!. I used it neat but Steve @M3talpigrecommendeds diluting it which I haven't tried and unlike me don't bathe it for 4+hrs!

Sometimes when you see silly pricing on Amazon it will be a private seller just trying it on....

Atb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 21:08, Stef N. said:

16 bolt/24 bolt wheels

On late D's and early A's they were seen with a mix usually the front most station had a 24 bolt and the remaining stations had the 16 bolt...thought that was an interesting detail..... Lots of forward motion with the kit Stef and looking good. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I used it neat but Steve @M3talpigrecommendeds diluting it which I haven't tried and unlike me don't bathe it for 4+hrs!

Here's the thing with burnishing ..... first you must thoroughly wash the tracks.....next you have two option ...you can burnish at full strength and fast = unstable finish that is a micron thick and can be flaky

or thin the fluid 1:1 with water and burnish for several hours = stable burnish several microns deep and will not flake.......

But don't burnish for several hours with neat fluid because it is acid and it will eat your track pins

And as if i need to say this given the above info ...but wear gloves if you get this stuff on your fingers you will notice a slimy feeling when you rub your fingers together ...... that's your skin melting

• Thanks 2

Thank you very much for the info. I have some leftover tracks in the spares box so I will play around with the different options to see which works best for me. As was mentioned, I was impressd with the effect you got on the JT and Darryl's sample above so if I can get near I will be happy. 👍

• Like 2

Steve has made some very valid points. I can confirm I did melt a number of pins, thankfully no fingers mind, not sure I'll be leaving incriminating fingerprints anywhere anymore but silver linings and all that!

I did discover I could get an entire length rolled up into a ramekin, (the ones that come with the Gu deserts) tight fit but when using a bottle neat you don't have any fluid to spare for an oversize container. Once out of the fluid and dried I dusted with some suitable pigment and Hey-presto done!

Atb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SimonT said:

Pictures or it didn’t happen :wicked:

20200705-142345.jpg

Green hue on tracks is left over from the melted pins.

If you'd like a pic of the rolled track in the ramekin then I'm afraid you'll need to wait until the new ones arrive....Yes I've succumb and orderd some for the Ausf D....me bad!

Happy? 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2