1/48 Eduard Hawker Tempest Mk. V

Last years Christmas present finished! 1/48 Eduard Hawker Tempest of No. 3 Sqn RAF flown by Sqn Ldr Charles H. Macfie, late 1947, Germany. Thanks for looking

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

That's a great looking Tempest! 😀  It really looks like a hard-worked warbird.   Super result!  :clap2:

Agree

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, 

Is that Alclad II?  Nice finish! 

No it is Mr Paint Silver representing RAF High Speed Silver

Thanks

John

• Thanks 1

That does look beautiful and thanks for the heads up on the Mr Paint Silver, definitely going to have to try that. Really like the shading you have got along the panel lines as well, its a lovely subtly worn look, what did you use, oils?

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1

The silver was pre-shaded in Mr Paint RLM 81 being the only medium brown from Mr Paint that I had! Artist oil paint Raw umber was seeped into the working panels/control surfaces followed by some black only in a few places so as not to over-power it in 1/48. Some Florys grime was added to places but most of it removed and some AK dark earth dust applied to the wheels. The exhausts are black primer then Alclad Jet Exhaust then AK exhaust stain

Edited by Aims
  • Like 1

I’m sorry but to me the weathering is rather over done.

The RAF was in the throes of introducing High Speed Silver as an overall finish for day fighters in 1947 so the RAF Germany Tempests would not have seen a great deal of flying, let alone action, after adopting the colour scheme.  Gunnery would be limited to the occasional range sortie or Armament Practice Camp and wouldn’t be a day-to-day occurrence.  Also the aeroplane appears to have been that of the Squadron CO, who almost certainly would not have wanted to be seen by his peers in an aeroplane that grubby and, despite post-war demobbing, manpower would have been readily available to keep the boss’s aeroplane looking smart (especially after a defaulters’ parade).

I’m not doubting your skills or abilities, but I think that maybe this wasn’t the right canvas for them.

• Like 1

Something weird keeps happening to me - every time I buy a new model for the stash someone posts a RFI of the very same model, expertly done and far above what I can manage....

I really like this model and think it looks great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

I’m sorry but to me the weathering is rather over done.

The RAF was in the throes of introducing High Speed Silver as an overall finish for day fighters in 1947 so the RAF Germany Tempests would not have seen a great deal of flying, let alone action, after adopting the colour scheme.  Gunnery would be limited to the occasional range sortie or Armament Practice Camp and wouldn’t be a day-to-day occurrence.  Also the aeroplane appears to have been that of the Squadron CO, who almost certainly would not have wanted to be seen by his peers in an aeroplane that grubby and, despite post-war demobbing, manpower would have been readily available to keep the boss’s aeroplane looking smart (especially after a defaulters’ parade).

I’m not doubting your skills or abilities, but I think that maybe this wasn’t the right canvas for them.

I think the weathering is fine. It’s like the acropolis, with irregular columns. The irregular Colums make for a more pleasant viewing experience. 

• Like 1

I have never said this model was  'in action' anywhere in my introduction but No 3 Sqn were up getting dirty over the firing ranges of what became West Germany on a regular bases as they were 'heavily involved' for 1 year perfecting the use of the Tempest as a platform for delivering RP. I tried to get the No.3 Sqn daily record of events log from the National achieves in the UK but it is only available up to the end of 1945 at the moment. High Speed Silver Tempests started to appear as early as the beginning of 1946 - not 1947 but yes No. 3 Sqn received them like this in 1947 but the majority of photos of High Speed Silver Tempests based in Germany show them dirty - as is Macfie's aircraft in the photo. I hope that helps.

Edited by Aims
  • Like 5

It looks very nice in this sceme. All British planes with high speed silver are looking amazing. Concerning weathering: on the first look I also thought that the weathering is a little bit overdone. But I detected a picture in the www.  RAF- Sylt. The first picture is showing much more weathered Tempest out there. 
Best regards

Andy 

• Like 1

Beautiful. Whether or not the real aircraft would of been weathered to this degree, we are all entitled to a choice of how we finish our builds and I love what you've done here. It makes it far more interesting IMO :)

• Like 3