NIVO

Vinnie

I know there have been many threads on the subject of NIVO over the years, but I've not seen anyone mention an acrylic paint to do the job. All I can find is Hannants xtracolour. Anyone have any suggestions, please?

Vinnie,

Not an era that I have much information on, but I think AKAN did NIVO in acrylic in their RAF WW1 paint set; stock number 70056. They also list it in lacquer as 60056. IIRC, Linden Hill handles the AKAN paint line. I have no idea as to their current availability. Somebody will undoubtedly know more.

Mike

See if this link helps:

https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/c36/Main_Shop.html#/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

AKAN did one, I have a bottle but I've never used it (yet). there is some evidence that NIVO was quite close to Extra Dark Slate Grey, so using that is a possible alternative

Hi Dave. Yes I have seen a few references to the similarity of EDSG, but comparing them on screen with NIVO they don't appear to be that similar. May be it's the colour settings on my laptop.

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Vinnie,

Not an era that I have much information on, but I think AKAN did NIVO in acrylic in their RAF WW1 paint set; stock number 70056. They also list it in lacquer as 60056. IIRC, Linden Hill handles the AKAN paint line. I have no idea as to their current availability. Somebody will undoubtedly know more.

Mike

See if this link helps:

https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/c36/Main_Shop.html#/

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion and I thought I'd found my answer. 4 Dollars, great, but 25 Dollars shipping...........

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Hi Dave. Yes I have seen a few references to the similarity of EDSG, but comparing them on screen with NIVO they don't appear to be that similar. May be it's the colour settings on my laptop.

Beware that usually EDSG means Extra Dark SEA Grey (the very dark blue-grey with purplish hue) while Dave said Extra Dark SLATE Grey (similarly dark grey-green with brownish hue).

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 3

Vinnie,

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but looking at my paint references from various sources, I see NIVO listed as being a  match for FS34096 in three different references. Floquil lists it as FS34096 on their Military Modeling enamel series, 303159; Modelmaster also lists DSG in their enamel series, 2056; Humbrol lists DGS as 224 in their enamel line; AK lists DSG as RC294;  Hataka has it as HTK-B202, and Xtracolor has a listing for NIVO as X.X20. I have the Modelmaster DSG as well as  a handmixed bottle using Floquil enamels to the color chip from  the RAF WW2 aircraft camouflage reference, and my mix looks closer to that chip than the MM paint out of the bottle- for what that's worth! Wish I could be more helpful. Maybe someone who has also mixed this color or who has used one of the commercially available paints could lend assistance. It's hard to describe, but is a very dark grey with a substantial green cast.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used  Humbrol 224 Dark Slate Grey for the green on this Petlyakov

Petlyakov%20Pe-2%2C%2019s-M.jpg

and on this Boeing Clipper

Boeing%20314%20Clipper%2C%2026s-M.jpg

tbh I don't think its dark enough for NIVO

IPMS Stockholm gives a mix of Humbrol 116, 117 and 163 greens for NIVO, 

I think I have some Xtracolor NIVO.

I might paint a bit of plastic with it and do some other similar colours to see if any match or come close

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 3:25 PM, Vinnie said:

Thanks, Paul. Couldn't find it.

Vinnie, 

The company name is actually MisterKit.  Paul is right about needing some luck with them.  I placed an order 8-8-21, received it to east coast US (after a couple queries) on Oct 12.  

And based on what the recent interpretation of NIVO seems to be, it does seem to be a little light., almost a slightly darker, more olive Brit int green.  But overall, I do like their paints, in spite of the fact that I generally have stayed well away from truly water-based acrylics.

And Misterkit NIVO is #BC 04.

• 1 month later...

I have a Nivo paint done by Compucolour. It is sort of enamel so I use the tin lid to mix up Gunze acrylic into something that looks about right. I have had quite a bit of success with this method in the past.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I mixed this in Humbrol enamels; 3  pts H136 green + 1 pt H32 dark grey which is close to Methuen 29F2 according to the late Ian Huntley.  The resulting colour is a greyish blue-green with a sheen which is correct, the original colour had an eggshell finish when new.  It is is much darker than modellers generally perceive, darker than Dark Slate Grey which is yellow-green.   FS 34906 is correct in tone but too brown.  

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I have a Contrail Hendon which is finished in NIVO apparently,  as someone not brave enough to start mixing paints, I'll be putting it towards the back of the stash, until I can find a ready made one available. 

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have a Contrail Hendon which is finished in NIVO apparently,  as someone not brave enough to start mixing paints, I'll be putting it towards the back of the stash, until I can find a ready made one available. 

Xtracolor X020. Still not available as an acrylic though.

Paul.

• Thanks 1