1/72 WW1 Male Tank : Master Box Or Emhar ?

fredsopwith

Hi All.

Title is probably pretty self explanatory, but as I'm expanding My interest from WW1 Aircraft to landships, which do you guys recommend, fully appreciating it's everyone's personal opinion.

Thanks for all input.  John.

mk1male.jpg

They are of two different versions. The Masterbox is a Mk.I (with or without tail wheels) and Emhar is a Mk.IV.

The main visible difference would be the guns and the sponson's ("side turets"). Emhar (on the right) made a misstake with their sponson's. On the Mk.IV they were pulled inward so the rear wall should be angered a little bit forward but the kit have them straight out like the Mk.I of Masterbox.  There are replacement resin sponson's to be found but I have tried to fix mine by cutting the rear wall off an alter the angle of it.

The grey things on the roof of my Mk.I is some kind of jibs used to remove the sponson of the Mk.I and should not be on the tank during action.

In my opinion the Emhar kit is a little bit trickier to assembly but not worse than that I have built four and started on number five.

Hi Orso.

Thank you for the info, seems like it's quite close between the two. The Master Box surface detail looks a bit better to my eye than the Emhar so will probably go for that.

Regards John.

There are good reviews of both kits (and a lot of others) on the Landships site. The sponsons on the Emhar Mk IV male are a bit of a disaster all round, as the review explains. I built the 1/35 version not long ago and found it a real chore trying to improve them. I've also seen it suggested that the whole shape of the Emhar model is slightly off, though it doesn't leap out at me.

• 4 months later...

Based upon the photos you kindly provided the Masterbox kit actually sits correctly.  Strange how neither manufacturer captured the correct rear of the sponsons.  Mind you, I've not seen any resin replacements.  I'll look for them.  Thanks.