Panther F Night Fighter

Soeren

45 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Looking good, It is said that you can buy 3 Dragon kits and build a fourth with all the spares.

That's just a modellers myth, there is always only one significant part in each kit to prevent that from happening. :nod:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

That's just a modellers myth, there is always only one significant part in each kit to prevent that from happening. :nod:

Well, it actually works in this case almost. The JP with ZIM 2in1 has 2 complete lower and upper hulls. There are enough torsion bar relft overs from my 4 Panther kits, I now have two complete rubber rimmed wheel sets, spare idlers and sprockets. The late 2in1 kit also has two casemate roof and the early and late engine deck details. The engine door is missing, but I have one after market engine set. The only parts missing are the casemate roof details and all the doors. But this will be covered with tarps unless I am able to get some aftermarket for that as well.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking nice Soeren.......I have aPanther night fighter part built. Started a build blog, but just needs final bits and bobs done to it. If you need, I have all the wiring set up somewhere for the IR equipment if you need it.

Simon.

Hey there and thanks Simon. Dragon has some cable in the kit for some of the basic wiring and I will stick with that for now. But I would be happy if you had a nice picture for referance to share.

As real life has me for now, progress is really slow.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I'll try and dig it up from my digital archive.........and post some pics for you. I was surprised that the Dragon kit I built didn't have some of the obvious parts needed for a complete set up, and it wouldn't have taken much for them to put it in the kit.

Let me look later this week.

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys,

I got completely distracted, but will now try to finish this one.

So it got a basecoat of Vallejo HullRed:BurntUmber and then mottled in some Highlights with Vallejo Tan Earth. Followed by varnish, then Stippled and brushed some Abt. 502 Ochre on and gave it a coat of Revell Matt clear. That is a bit dusty, but adds to what I am looking for. Some stages before the camo still to come though.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Here we go. Washes and more rusttones of pegments, oil paints and enamel products later, I am happy now. So let it cure and follow with Ammo of MIG Washable Sand for the camo pattern.

Placed a rusted shovel in for color reference

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Thak you @Stef N.

I wanna get this off the table now. Washedout Sand color applied and gave it an overall Filter/Wash with burned umber. Will do the AK dust and dirt deposits enamels for weathering. Did them on the lower hull already and liked them.

Horrible weather today, so no rich daylight shot.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Good Morning,

wheels are on and some part of the Airdefense armour. I decided to go with grey pant on the latter to add some contrast and interest. The Wheels and lower hulls are wethered with the AK dust and dirt deposits set. Looks like an enamel pigment soup that can be reactivated with mineral spirits and gives the look that is absolutely to my taste. Good buy it is.

The PE AAArmour is a bit complicated though. The stacked pieces on the back were manufactured missmeasured. The board that goes inside is way too narrow. The outer part has grooves cut into it and I guess the kit designers didnt take that into account, so you will have a 1mm gap if you place the board inside. You cant see that at a distance though. The rooftop armour gets stepped sockets but the two armour plates have identical hole sizes. So those dont work as intended and you have to find another solution to have the two plates evenly apart. For the rond air vent covers you have two plates but only one set of stands, yo youe will have the plate only on one side. IT does work for the look I am goig for, but still a bit odd it is.

I will only add the NV device for the driver here, as there wont be enough space for a commander figure in the cupola otherwise.

Thx for watching.

spacer.png

• Like 6