Panther F Night Fighter

Soeren

Hey there, here is my contribution to the group build. Got this Panther F a while back, only to have a spare set of rubber rimmed wheels for another 2 in 1 kit. Not this one made me curious because of the night vision pieces and the air defence armour. Also the artwork really got me.

So I will do this in that style. For the brown I will try to achieve the look of the bare steel plates and paint the sand with a washable color. Got a commander figure for it and a full set of dio parts as well, but I guess trying to finish the build together with the figure should be enough for now.

spacer.png

Even though you get the easy to use dragon styrene tracks, there is a full set of magic tracks. Individual links for a nicer model :thumbsup:

spacer.png

There are plenty of parts inside the box. Two upper hulls as you can build the prototype and the final model. Also the PE for the air defence armour is thick. Should give a nice in scale appearance.

spacer.png

• Like 7

I bought a few Dragon Panther kits directly from China. And even though they don’t mention the IR stuff for those kits it is just on the sprues. Basically I could build all Panthers with that now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

I bought a few Dragon Panther kits directly from China. And even though they don’t mention the IR stuff for those kits it is just on the sprues. Basically I could build all Panthers with that now.

I bought an early Dragon kit (pre magic or DS tracks) of a night fighting Panther G.  Instructions were to paint it like this:

PZKW V

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I bought an early Dragon kit (pre magic or DS tracks) of a night fighting Panther G.  Instructions were to paint it like this: 

I've the very same kit, half considered it for the build. However that's the very old Dragon/Gunze Panther and i don't think it shares anything with the later ones we tend to see kicking around these days. When Dragon brought out the ausf D and A etc they made a new kit.

Not even how accurate or build able it actually is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Not even how accurate or build able it actually is.

It's one to scare the kids with, individual track links on sprues, lack of detail and no p/e for the intake mesh.  Typical AFV from that period, are we spoilt now or what. :nod:

7 hours ago, SimonT said:

That’s a lovely shot. Thanks for sharing.

I've been reading up on the IR optics used at the end of the war.  That picture shows option A, where only the commander has an IR light source and scope, option B has IR sources and scopes for the driver, gunner and commander.  They trialed option B using earlier variants, D and A because they had the moveable visor flap for the driver in the glacis panel which made the conversion easier.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It's one to scare the kids with, individual track links on sprues, lack of detail and no p/e for the intake mesh.  Typical AFV from that period, are we spoilt now or what. :nod:

Doing the Meng M4 at the moment with multipart working indi links and it's just as drag. However when it comes to Panthers....Fruil is our friend!

If that's the worst of it and it goes together without to much sweat and filler, happy days!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I've been reading up on the IR optics used at the end of the war.  That picture shows option A, where only the commander has an IR light source and scope, option B has IR sources and scopes for the driver, gunner and commander.  They trialed option B using earlier variants, D and A because they had the moveable visor flap for the driver in the glacis panel which made the conversion easier.  

Yup. 

Ausf. A fitted for IR

spacer.png

Ausf. D fitted for IR

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Darryl said he needed them back ;)

For the love of God and all that is holy how did my readers get over the pond!

What's more, surely BM can manage more than one pair of glasses between us all.....

Sure Lee's done this to nobble me, if my readers have to do 14days quarantine once back in the country then I'm going to be at least two weeks behind everyone else!

Lifes so unfair!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

What's more, surely BM can manage more than one pair of glasses between us all.....

I've got a spare pair of vari-focals if you're that desperate, bet you didn't see that coming. :whistle:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I've got a spare pair of vari-focals if you're that desperate, bet you didn't see that coming. :whistle:

As long as it's at range, no sweat...up close😳

• Haha 1

To get back to the topic, the lower hull is done now. It is perfectly standard and I really like to push those torsion bars through and the bump stops etc. 

We are left with a complete set of rubber rimmed wheels and a pair of spare idlers. This set has the additional larger late idler. So we have the standard pair for another build. There is also to sets of tools. One is with the molded on clamps and another set complete without that :thumbsup:

• Like 4

So here we go, the lower hullspacer.png

Back plate detailed

spacer.png

The night sight parts, as this sprue is included 4 times you obviously get 4 sets

spacer.png

Here is the commander, he looks really nicely detailed and refined.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Here we are with the next update. The kit is just nice. So nothing new for anyone who ever built a Dragon Panther kit. Now this is an F upgrade so there are all the older G parts on this kit, despite the G turret as this is on a separate sprue usually. But there are plenty of MG covers left and a spare ball mount as well. Speaking of the MG ball mount, the F was meant to use the self defence MP 44 instead of a MG 34. The MP was attached with a barrel elongation. As you will never see the MP on the inside anyway, why fit it at all? Another spare for another build.

One great stuff about this topic of a late war, semi blue print tank, you can use whatever part you like. This is cast echaust covers in my case, skid shoe instead of wheel and the latest type of sprocket that I bought a while back to have the 2in1 JP make a second JP. So here I get the free sprocket from the  F kit for that.

spacer.png

So here we go, front part done and started work on the engine deck. Drilled out barrel ist always nice to start with.

spacer.png

Also had another stash find, not sure if I manage to build these during the group build though. But these guys should go well hand in hand with the topic of the Night Fighter.

spacer.png

• Like 8