Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB Chat

Everybody, I've added some suggested definitions to the opening post:

Suggested Definitions
For the purpose of this build, an armoured car is a land vehicle with road wheels and one or more armoured compartments, usually for the protection of crew and engine.

For the purpose of this build, a half-track is a land vehicle that has road wheels and tracks.  It does not have to be armoured.

Fully tracked vehicles are not allowed.

Suggested means I'm open to changes, clarifications, and corrections.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Everybody, I've added some suggested definitions to the opening post:

Suggested means I'm open to changes, clarifications, and corrections.

Hi Robert,

Sounds reasonable to me. Obviously I hope the TLC GB gets through the bunfight, but if not the wider scope will allow a few more vehicles to be built in this GB, such as my Saladin. The purists might perhaps say that an "Armoured Car" should have offensive armament of some sort, but after all just about every "fighter" aircraft built has been capable of shooting up or bombing ground targets, and the same applies to vehicles with various "bolt on" weapons available - even the old "Universal Carrier" was fitted with Boyes A/T rifles at times whilst many early armoured cars just had a light mg for shooting up troops and soft skins!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Just remembered I bought this many years ago.

DSC07009-crop

The box art is a bit odd - perhaps the artist was smoking something a bit stronger than tobacco. I know that the Soviets did experiment with air-dropping light tanks from a TB-3 aircraft with either parachutes or wings (the flying tank) so I guess they could have done the same with armoured cars - must dig out my copy of Zaloga's book! I will build one OOB and maybe try and modify t'other - perhaps as a "half track" or a railway version. I believe the turret was from as T-26 or BT tank, which reminds me that I must get round to building one or both of my T-26 kits. I gather they switched to light tanks for recce work quite early in the war, which seems to have been how they used a fair few of their lend-lease Valentines I seem to remember.

Pete

• Like 1

I was planning to do an early Rolls-Royce armoured car using the Meng kit. The more I looked into it and the mods required (starting with the turret) and including building an interior, the more complex the project became. I even considered buying the Roden kit and mixing and matching as need be. Mmm ... time for a re-think. 🤔

So, change of tack, try to stick with a First World War theme and if I want complexity why not buy it in one box. Decision made. Money parted company.

Copper State Models Minerva. and, oh boy what a gorgeous kit it is. Now we are excited. 

Minerva WIP 1

Worth the admission price (and it is a pricey little beast) for the instruction booklet alone (or is it a novel) - 38 pages to study. History, images, instructions, and a bibliography.

Minerva WIP 2

This will be my entry in the GB. Really looking forward to the start date.

Ray

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning the Daimler suspension, a Missing-lynx member has redesigned this and 3D printed them in order to decrease the parts count, as well as make more accurate.  It includes reworked fenders as well.   It's not cheap, so it's a question to the individual of which is more important, saving money or saving time.   Not sure how you can contact him other than being a forum member over there:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/daimler-armoured-car-wheels-and-suspension-wip-t330711.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackG said:

Concerning the Daimler suspension, a Missing-lynx member has redesigned this and 3D printed them in order to decrease the parts count, as well as make more accurate.  It includes reworked fenders as well.   It's not cheap, so it's a question to the individual of which is more important, saving money or saving time.   Not sure how you can contact him other than being a forum member over there:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/daimler-armoured-car-wheels-and-suspension-wip-t330711.html

Thanks Jack, I am a forum member on missing lynx but haven’t been there in a while so not seen those. Interesting though, think I’ll stick to the kit parts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Just had this delivered, going to be my entry for this GB. Really nice looking kit, suspension  takes up quite a lot of the instructions and looks a bit intimidating!

Looks interesting, good luck with the build (IMO, Gecko can have a high parts count).

@Ned, that little fella would be a grand addition to the build.

2 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Alea iacta est!

I suppose it is, in that injection plastic is die-cast.*

The voyager extras look great, promising a stunning build.

*My Latin isn't up to the nuances of whether that is a correct interpretation.

• Haha 2

On 9/6/2022 at 5:20 PM, Robert Stuart said:

I suppose it is, in that injection plastic is die-cast.*

The voyager extras look great, promising a stunning build.

*My Latin isn't up to the nuances of whether that is a correct interpretation.

It's been almost 60 years since I did my Latin O level but it sounds right enough to me Robert, though in this case it does not involve crossing the Rubicon! The etch should indeed make it look stunning.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2

On 9/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, bigfoot said:

Just had this delivered, going to be my entry for this GB. Really nice looking kit, suspension  takes up quite a lot of the instructions and looks a bit intimidating!

eKIqwf0.jpg

I have a little SOD to build as well, time and energy permitting. I will probably simplify the build and reduce the parts count to something manageable in the time allowed.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, Robert Stuart said:

y4mRLoL2CkwWAxuF7CxS-6WvpRZD00kQLYjytFaA

That looks different, and should be an interesting build

Hi Rob, with your edit barring fully tracked vehicles in mind I thought I'd confirm that this... this.. this thing is still eligible.

It's fully tracked and/or fully wheeled, armoured but with no offensive weapons. It's designation as a Sonderkraftfahrzeug (Sd. Kfz.) or 'Special Purpose Vehicle' is little help. It was designed as an artillery tractor, used as a command/observation post and had it's greatest triumph in 1953 when some Czech refugees restored a scrapyard find and used it to drive through the border wire, and past the guards to freedom in West Germany. Apparently, the guards initially thought it was a Czech army waggon and when it crashed the barriers were too surprised to even shoot at it! The newspapers reported it as The Freedom Tank but without a turret, that's one thing that I think it ain't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Hi Rob, with your edit barring fully tracked vehicles in mind I thought I'd confirm that this... this.. this thing is still eligible.

It can run on tyres, it's got tracks, think that passes as either a half-track (stretching the definition) or an armoured car.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

It can run on tyres, it's got tracks, think that passes as either a half-track (stretching the definition) or an armoured car.

Brill. Thanks.

(I have a couple of more conventional ACs too. A Sawn Off Daimler and a Rolls-Royce.)

• Like 1

On 08/09/2022 at 12:41, PeterB said:

It's been almost 60 years since I did my Latin O level but it sounds right enough to me Robert, though in this case it does not involve crossing the Rubicon! The etch should indeed make it look stunning.

Pete

The build will probably test my nerves and dexterity a lot 🤪
The Dragon kit itself is already a fat thing, but the Voyager PE sets are not from this planet.
I thought one set would be enough, but 3 are needed.
Two of them could be ordered in Germany, one (for the hood) I ordered in a fit of insanity in Australia.
Hopefully the package will arrive by air freight in time.
The Rubicon I have exceeded with this action...

MD

• Like 2