Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB Chat

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Robert. Realised, during the poll, when I was voting for this GB, that I hadn’t got around to signing up. At the moment, I'm thinking of making both of these and perhaps doing a vignette with them, if they are okay?:

51683087545_cda19e930d_b.jpg

I haven’t done a comparison, dual build for a while…………..and yes, they look to result in the same sized vehicle, despite the difference in size of the boxes!

Kind regards,

Stix

Those look great Stix, welcome to the build.
That Tamiya kit ... I have built in the past, so it'll be interesting to see how the moulds have stood up (no p.e. back then, but a soft plastic net for the turret).
The HobbyBoss kit is new to me.

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Super... Otter or Greyhound (plus photo etch) for me.....

Either would be ... super ;)

Good choices Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I say this every year... :D  but I ientend to build from The Stash. 

I thought that this GB might cause me a problem stashwise, but I've just had a look at what is available.

In 1/48 I have a couple of Sd.Kfz.251s: one by Tamiya, one by AFV Club.  I also have a Tamiya Daimler Dingo.

In 1/35 I have a Bronco Humber Mk.II armoured car.

But then I noticed two kits by Accurate Armour, both in 1/35 scale, both in resin - a Saladin and a Ferret Mk 2/3.

Looks like I will be building from The Stash after all.   :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I'm really glad this GB got up. So many fascinating subjects and a little different to the norm. Even though we have a year to wait, the timing has worked well for me. One to look forward to. Well done to Robert for putting it up and with the necessary drive to make it happen.

Ray

• Like 2

Well, it'll probably be one of the Israeli improvised armoured cars, based on the Dodge weapons carrier, or one of the Israeli half tracks. But seeing as it's the best part of a year away, I'll probably change my mind a few times before then.

John.

• Like 2

question for mods - would a wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier count as and Armoured Car - have the IBG KTO Rossomak to add to the list of possibles if allowed (and if not that is fine - will be the Greyhound as the Otter has been hijacked for the Canadian GB):

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ibg-models-35032-kto-rosomak--581943

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

question for mods - would a wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier count as and Armoured Car - have the IBG KTO Rossomak to add to the list of possibles if allowed (and if not that is fine - will be the Greyhound as the Otter has been hijacked for the Canadian GB):

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ibg-models-35032-kto-rosomak--581943

That should be fine Rob, think we've drawn the line at fully tracked vehicles.

• Like 1

• Robert Stuart changed the title to Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB: Sat, 29 Oct 22 Sun, 19 Feb 23

I've just being checking the big list and from the stash I have 23 possible entries from nine countries in six scales covering about an 80 year span. No, I won't build them all but as co-host I will try a couple of interesting ones as a thank you for getting this one onto the calendar :)

Andy

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 5:55 PM, Robert Stuart said:

@Enzo Matrix You know what everybody else says that you say about a choice of kits?

One or two would be enough ...

BTW, the Ferret sounds tempting - I gather it is really fun to drive.

I drove the later mark ferret in the late 80's/early 90's - it had a small turret.. you are exposed to the elements in these, so winter driving is not much fun, no power steering, the turret made them top heavy and harder to handle off road, and as stated in the video, nowhere to sleep! We had a cage on the engine deck for our gear and recce equipment. However, it was fun or maybe 30 odd years later I have blanked out the bad bits!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

I'll be branching into 1/35th with a Canadian gun carrier from Copper State, maybe a Polish Ford...and some 1/72nd scale doodads too.

51726309444_ae65446daf_c_d.jpg

--John

that CSM kit looks really unusual... some of the Model T kits nearly ended in my stash but never pulled the trigger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robw_uk said:

some of the Model T kits nearly ended in my stash but never pulled the trigger

Try one.  The moulds are excellent and the instructions very clear and well drawn.  All of the ICM Model-T kits come from the same source I think, the Australian Model-T cars.  They just added assorted panels for the armour.  Nice work.

• Like 1

So in the 'is it an armoured car or not' question I have:

Defender XD Wolf WMIK (HobbyBoss 1/35), guessing it's pretty soft skinned, if you consider a complete lack of bodywork a 'skin', so I'm guessing that would probably be a no.

(So apparently there is some armour somewhere (fuel tank?) and some variants have half doors made of kevlar, not the kit I have though).

In that case hopefully a British Husky TSV would be OK? (I have the Meng 1/35 kit.) Described as a medium armoured, high mobility, tactical support vehicle.

See  https://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/protected-patrol-vehicles/ for some info on both (well the revised RWMIK).

I did fancy building a French EBR, since it's mad as a box of, erm... - bi directional, 8 wheels, 4 metal (or with metal grousers not sure if they're solid) and a turret, though I'm trying to thin the stash by building kits not buying more (though as ever that's not going well).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_EBR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scargsy said:

Defender XD Wolf WMIK (HobbyBoss 1/35), guessing it's pretty soft skinned, if you consider a complete lack of bodywork a 'skin', so I'm guessing that would probably be a no.

(So apparently there is some armour somewhere (fuel tank?) and some variants have half doors made of kevlar, not the kit I have though).

Think the kevlar doors would have helped, but no, like most Land Rovers, it is a truck :(

Your Husky TSV will be ideal :)

Love the look of that Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance, wonder what the highways people would say about those middle wheels?

• Like 1