Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB Chat

20 hours ago, Ned said:

Is anyone else getting urges to buy Hanomags and Staghounds because of this GB? I'm also feeling the call of Black Dog stowage...

CSM kits too. They look lovely.

I'd certainly like to do one of the 1/35 Dragon SdKfz 234s but at over 60 quid a pop they're a bit too pricey for me. 

• Like 2

Hello all

ok so complete newby to the group build scene so in for a penny! I was thinking of the Tamiya 1/48 Dingo? I’m sure many of you have done this kit so I hope there’s lots of info out there. I’m only just getting back into modelling so don’t expect perfection!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mark Oddy said:

Hello all

ok so complete newby to the group build scene so in for a penny! I was thinking of the Tamiya 1/48 Dingo? I’m sure many of you have done this kit so I hope there’s lots of info out there. I’m only just getting back into modelling so don’t expect perfection!

Snap! I bought the same kit with the expectation that I’d be able to complete it along with current build (but in reality would be too much.) Good luck, great choice to have fun with! 😉

• Like 1

Hello all

31 minutes ago, Mark Oddy said:

Ok so it’s definitely the Dingo with maybe a few modifications. How do I sign up for the group build?

Hi Mark, welcome to the forums, and what better place to start than the group build area 🙂 

If you'd like to join, all you have to do is go over to the group build's main page here and press the large "Start new topic" button. Good luck and have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. I think I need a change from what I usually do. I thought of something simple and fast with armor and wheels/tracks. This GB seems to be perfect as a temporary return to things I haven't done in a few years.

I still have some 1:35 scale AFVs in my stash, two of them match the subject. Coincidence: both have "10" in the name 😉.

First is Dragon Sd.Kfz.10 Ausf.A (with PAK 38), second that's Zvezda BA-10. Dragon has a "magic track" which scares me a bit (I don't think I can put it together correctly), so I chose Zvezda, although it is a much lower quality model.

spacer.png

Few years ago I bought it for kitbash because it was cheap. I even glued the hatch, turet's roof and two parts of engine. And here is the question: is it not too much, and is the model still allowed at this stage? 

spacer.png

Cheers

Wiesiek.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, voozet said:

Few years ago I bought it for kitbash because it was cheap. I even glued the hatch, turet's roof and two parts of engine. And here is the question: is it not too much, and is the model still allowed at this stage? 

Hi Wiesiek.  The usual rule is less than 25% complete.   What you have done here is probably not even 1%...   I would say that this is good to go, but I'll let @Robert Stuart or @Marklo make the final call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking of joining this group build with 3 variations of the same basic 1/72 kit. This would be the Italeri AB40, AB41, and AB43 armored cars. I plan on building them at the same time. Would it be ok to have one build thread even though I would be building 3 separate models?

• Like 3

On 07/11/2022 at 12:49, IanC said:

I'd certainly like to do one of the 1/35 Dragon SdKfz 234s but at over 60 quid a pop they're a bit too pricey for me. 

Was looking out for any of the Dargon 234 variants myself at SMW Telford.  Cheapest one I saw was £69 🤔  and that was my least favourite choice; the Puma😟

Edited by Kelscale
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Kelscale said:

Was looking out for any of the Dragon 234 variants myself at SMW Telford.  Cheapest one I saw was £69 🤔  and that was my least favourite choice; the Puma😟

My choice would be the 234/4. Hannants has them in stock, along with some of the other variants, but they're all a penny shy of 70 quid. Not a cheap hobby, is it?  

PS. your avatar is frightening! 😄

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kelscale said:

Was looking out for any of the Dargon 234 variants myself at SMW Telford.  Cheapest one I saw was £69 🤔  and that was my least favourite choice; the Puma😟

Hattons pre-owned and One35Scale are good to check. A touch cheaper than anywhere else.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanC said:

My choice would be the 234/4. Hannants has them in stock, along with some of the other variants, but they're all a penny shy of 70 quid. Not a cheap hobby, is it?  

It certainly isn't, especially when it's Dragon related

It is a bit, I need to find a more disturbing one😉

28 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Hattons pre-owned and One35Scale are good to check. A touch cheaper than anywhere else.

Cheers Stef

Will have a nosy on both those sites👍

8 hours ago, IanC said:

Hi Ian

234/4 in stock and on 'offer' here https://tankmuseumshop.org/products/dragon-models-1-35-sd-kfz-234-4-panzerspahwagen?variant=41673392586943&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-10-18&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxPylo5y4-wIV5OjtCh3NzQi3EAQYASABEgJ3BPD_BwE

..and even better value here https://www.emodels.co.uk//dragon-1-35-german-sd-kfz-234-4-panzerspahwagen-6772.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxPylo5y4-wIV5OjtCh3NzQi3EAQYAyABEgLrivD_BwE

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:00 AM, IanC said:

Not a cheap hobby, is it? 

Divide the costs by the hours spent and it doesn't seem so bad. 🙂

My first armoured car/half track/whatever the hell it was, is finished. Huzzah! And the second one is already started. This could become addictive.

I know we are now well in to this group build, but if anyone needs any inspiration, I really recommend this book;

20221119_194733

As well as all the usual suspects (M8s/M20s, Daimlers, Pumas, Rolls Royces etc), there are some real oddities in there.

White M3A1 and SdKfz 222 in Chinese service for example;

20221119_194835

Or maybe one of the Home Guard's improvised armoured vehicles;

20221119_195951

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1