Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB Chat

The goal is to have the option for an open set of slats as the kit part is designed fully shut.   Plus rebuilding the front piece would bring it more to scale thickness of 8mm - the kit part has the sides double that, while the front is 35mm. 

It is very noticeable because the top is open ended and easily displays the thickness of the sheet metal.  The hood ornament is sitting on the rad, but it's the shroud and louvers that are being considered for a remake...

image.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Robert Stuart said:

Thought I'd give a shout-out to a few people, in case you were unaware that the Armoured Cars & Half-tracks GB started this weekend.

Kit is on the workbench. Expecting to start my build thread this week. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

I know it started. Will start this week.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thought I'd give a shout-out to a few people, in case you were unaware that the Armoured Cars & Half-tracks GB started this weekend.

Oh well this means another "started" kit hitting the bench, now what to build?

AML-60

VCBI

VAB

Rosomak

Saladin

Panhard VBL

AMX-10

Type 16

:hmmm:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Im aware good sir, hoping I can find something in November as of right now too much on my desk and no options in the stash. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

still trying to figure out what I want to build. I'm really not feeling the German radiocar. Kind of in the mood for something British. I have that 1/48 Bronco Staghound, but you know, it's a Bronco kit, so it'll take 6 months to assemble one of the leaf-springs. 

I guess its time to buy another model. Oh no! :)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Love to, but mega-busy with work at the moment and getting very little modelling time. Maybe a bit later in November...😀

John 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diases said:

Yes or No.

Just asking for a friend ☺️

Yes

Definitions for this build:

An armoured car is an armoured ground vehicle that does not use tracks.
It must have an armoured compartment protecting crew, engine, or other significant areas.  This may be included in the initial construction, or have been applied later in the vehicle's life.

It's armoured, it is a ground vehicle, and it doesn't use tracks.

On 30/10/2022 at 17:49, JackG said:

. . .   The hood ornament is sitting on the rad, . . . 

The 'hood ornament' is the Calorimeter. Its is the radiator water temperature gauge. It is a moving needle sandwiched between two pieces of thick glass with a metal frame. It screws down into the radiator top tank and has a metal tube which is immersed in the water. The needle and its ' cold-----hot' range scale can be clearly seen by the vehicle driver

On 1/32 vehicles I make it out of a slice of round clear sprue

1905%20RollsRoyce,%2005s-S.jpg

Here you can see the calorimeter on my Austin 7 Ulster

021%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, was just googling images the other night to see better details. and Calorimeter did come up.   For the Kfz.15  it was kept simple, but on civilian cars it could become quite ornate, and doubled as a hood ornament  Could not find an Alder combo, but some other examples:

61839392-1-x.webp

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Julien said:

Oh well this means another "started" kit hitting the bench, now what to build?

AML-60

VCBI

VAB

Rosomak

Saladin

Panhard VBL

AMX-10

Type 16

:hmmm:

join me with the Rosomak (then again, knowing your building skills please don't)

• Like 1

I'd like to join this group build if I may. Got an Academy 1/72 M3A1 halftrack although I won't be starting it for a week or so, as I've just got a couple of builds to finish off in the Revell/Monogram group build.

• Like 2

Is anyone else getting urges to buy Hanomags and Staghounds because of this GB? I'm also feeling the call of Black Dog stowage...

CSM kits too. They look lovely.

Edited by Ned
CSM
  • Like 4