Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB Chat

Looking at the instructions at scalemates, the wheels look fine.  Maybe it's the structure that they attach to that are finicky, or at least the construction may be.  Mind you the attachment points to the wheel rear is a shallow tab instead of the usual hole and axle type, might have to pin them?

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/4/3/581943-17-instructions.pdf

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackG said:

Looking at the instructions at scalemates, the wheels look fine.  Maybe it's the structure that they attach to that are finicky, or at least the construction may be.  Mind you the attachment points to the wheel rear is a shallow tab instead of the usual hole and axle type, might have to pin them?

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/9/4/3/581943-17-instructions.pdf

spacer.png

Seems.to.be that the inserts split the rims..... A few videos and.build reviews mention it...

But yes the whole assembly looks fiddly

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

Am I ok to build just them before GB start to see if I need after market ones?

25% rule Rob. 
Even with 3 parts each for eight wheels, I doubt they exceed the 25% mark.  Given your concern, go ahead.

• Like 1

Oh wow, you would think a model company would do a test run before going into full production.  Must be a very snug fit to split the plastic rim, but knowing this some steps can be taken to attempt to rectify it, hence the need to to do a partial build of the area in question. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackG said:

Ok, so 3 split, only one of which went through to outer surface.... Have used some sprue melted in glue to patch it so not lost at all.... The fit is very snug and you can almost see the stress line that the glue attacks.... Maybe using revell type rather than extra thin would've worked....

Anyway these are the 2 worst. Will stick with these and not splash on AM

IMG-20221004-190132.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/2/2022 at 3:38 PM, JackG said:

With the start date approaching, anyone else flopping around with their subject choice?  

Yes, I've changed mine. As I'm on a bit of an olive drab roll at the moment I've shelved the Kettenkrad and will be having a go at this one. Probably... 

spacer.png 

• Like 5

I thought I'd signed up to this but clearly hadn't. Nevermind, if there's room for one more I'd love to join in this GB. Just need to look for something which means a visit to a model shop, for shame.👍😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Just need to look for something which means a visit to a model shop, for shame.👍😀

It's always a pain when you have to do that. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, IanC said:

I've shelved the Kettenkrad and will be having a go at this one. Probably... 

That's looks good.

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

if there's room for one more I'd love to join in this GB.

Alway room for another, and we can always time for browsing a model shop.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:38 PM, JackG said:

With the start date approaching, anyone else flopping around with their subject choice?  

Indeed so. 

y4mOHdoXMIynjZNaI21qaSKSLCyixwWkGJsB_bNe

I'm going to start with the Sd.Kfz.254 because it's an easy build and it has such a good story behind it. (Teaser: I wont be building it as a nazi machine but something much more decent, especially now.)

Then if there's enough time left, the Roller, because it's British to the Corps, demmit! 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

The SOD gives me the opportunity for a zillion jokes but it's very complex and I doubt that I'll have the time for three builds so that's now an extremely unlikely build for me. Ever! 🤪

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

@here - that's not going to work, is it?

Everybody, this build is due to start on Saturday, 29th October.  That is just under a fortnight (two weeks).
Now is the time to check you have your kits, glues, decals and any AM stuff, organized.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Everybody, this build is due to start on Saturday, 29th October.  That is just under a fortnight (two weeks).
Now is the time to check you have your kits, glues, decals and any AM stuff, organized.

I've gone a step further and made a sneaky start on mine.

I finished my last model a couple of weeks ago and tried to hang on, but I couldn't resist.

Plus I'm going on holiday soon so didn't want to fall behind.

A poor excuse given the gb is the best part of 4 months duration, but I'm nowhere near the 25% mark so hopefully I won't get told off.

2 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I finished my last model a couple of weeks ago and tried to hang on, but I couldn't resist.

A poor excuse given the gb is the best part of 4 months duration, but I'm nowhere near the 25% mark so hopefully I won't get told off.

4 hours ago, Trevor L said:

4 hours ago, Trevor L said:

You must feel horribly guilty if you needed to confess twice over. 🤫

Just wondering if this thing counts as an armoured car?

It's a LAV AT - that bit on top is an anti-tank missile launcher.

Wiki photo:

LAV-AT.jpg

I got the Trumpeter 1/72 kit. No worries if it's not an armoured car...it'll fit into something someday!

• Like 1

Short answer, the LAV AT is fine.

Long answer
We are working out the rules at the moment.
The current proposed definition of an armoured car is:

An armoured car is an armoured ground vehicle that does not use tracks.
It must have an armoured compartment protecting crew, engine, or other significant areas.  This may be included in the initial construction, or have been applied later in the vehicle's life.

The LAV is an armoured ground vehicle that does not use tracks.

• Like 1

I may as well share the draft rules now.

===============================

Welcome to the Armoured Cars and Halftracks GB!
The hosts for this GB are Foxbat, Marklo and myself.

Thank you to everyone who's joining in or just following along. I'm looking forward to some interesting builds!

The rules for the GB are:

A group build to include Armoured Cars or Halftracks, held between 29 Oct 22 and 19 Feb 23.

Definitions for this build:

• An armoured car is an armoured ground vehicle that does not use tracks.
    It must have an armoured compartment protecting crew, engine, or other significant areas.  This may be included in the initial construction, or have been applied later in the vehicle's life.
  • To be a halftrack, a vehicle must be capable of travelling on tracks.  At least one wheel is useable for steering or propulsion.   See outliers, below.
    It need not be armoured.
  • No fully tracked vehicles.
  • Military or civilian types are acceptable.

Any scale of model is allowed, your model can be as big or as small as you like.

No buying or selling in the GB, there is a dedicated section of the forum for that.

All kits must not be any more than 25% complete at the start of your build thread.  If you are unsure then please ask Marklo or myself.

You must keep an updated thread with pictures going, no going from box art to finished model with nothing in between.

Be civil to each other, we all have our own techniques and ideas on what to do but don't go trying to force them on others.

And most importantly, HAVE FUN! That is what this is all about.

Enjoy the group build!

<signed>

p.s. Haven't signed up, but want to join the fun?  If you are confident your kit fits the constraints above, please feel free to start a thread.
You may start building on or after 29 Oct.

p.p.s.  This is a group build, please support each other's threads.  A friendly comment means a lot more than a like.

Outliers
For our purposes, a Kettenkrad is a halftrack
600px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-725-0184-22

As is an Sd.Kfz.254

y4mRLoL2CkwWAxuF7CxS-6WvpRZD00kQLYjytFaA

{edits}
Added "You may start building on or after 29 Oct." to the first p.s., thank-you @Bertie McBoatface
{/edits}

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Those are draft rules .. if they can be improved, or made better, we are open to suggestion.

Not a bad start. Specific but not overly so.

It is always near impossible to create a set a rules that match your vision and intent, and are letter perfect - perfection is unobtainable.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

p.s. Haven't signed up, but want to join the fun?  If you are confident your kit fits the constraints above, please feel free to start a thread.

But not quite yet. Just to clarify this for newer members, we'll have to wait until this topic gets moved from the Future GB Section to the Current GB Section before we can start our build threads. That usually happens during the weekend before building starts. 

• Thanks 1

Is time already for this GB, my, how time flies.  Had a rootle through the stash and found some contenders that meets the constraints.  Still not sure which one I'll start?

IMG_1938

The Bronco Staghound was bought so I could pinch the 60lb rockets and launchers for my Sherman 'tulip' build, which has been completed.  :winkgrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1