Lotus 107B Ford (Tamiya 1:20)

Hi All,

This will probably be a slow burn as I already have a GB on the bench (Heller Blower) but I'm keen to get a start on it. Anyhow, here goes; I'm off to open the bags and wash the sprues.

2jR1BX2%5D

2jR5ag6%5D

2jR1BYK%5D

2jR5afQ%5D

2jR5aeh%5D

2jR5adW%5D

2jR5afz%5D

2jR64TG%5D

• Like 5

It's washed and dried so once the chassis and steering is complete on the Bentley (lots of fiddly bits) I'll get going. I'm tempted to start with the body but will have a good look at the instructions to see if its possible :wonder:

• 3 weeks later...

It is a nice kit but beware those Tamiya decals, for the light green areas especially. There are some curves that their thickness doesn’t like.  I would suggest some strong Daco setting solution or alternatively paint those areas (the suggested Tamiya green doesn’t match the decals). https://www.zero-paints.com/Lotus_107B_Paint_Set_5x30ml--product--7650.html
might be an idea.

But the main thing is enjoy the build!

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 10:16 PM, Stickframe said:

Another F1 model builder here, looking forward to your build!

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick, Nice to have you along!

On 10/30/2020 at 10:52 PM, Vicarage Vee said:

It is a nice kit but beware those Tamiya decals, for the light green areas especially. There are some curves that their thickness doesn’t like.  I would suggest some strong Daco setting solution or alternatively paint those areas (the suggested Tamiya green doesn’t match the decals). https://www.zero-paints.com/Lotus_107B_Paint_Set_5x30ml--product--7650.html
might be an idea.

But the main thing is enjoy the build!

Hi VV, Thanks for the heads up. I chose the build for Tamiya's connection to the real car (and the fact that Johnny Herbert is such a great character) so hopefully the decals will behave!! 🤞

• Like 1

Good choice.  It's a very attractive car, and Johnny H was a brilliant driver, who knows what he might have achieved had he ever been fully fit in F1.  

The troublesome decals are particularly on the engine cover.  This isn't helped by there being a build up of ink at the edges of each so that there is a darker green line.  The one I've completed was a long-stalled build that my wife started many, many years ago.  I needed a second set of decals to complete it after stripping down, and both sets had the ink border issue.  The other main problem area is forward of the cockpit .  this is really not helped by the 'scuttle plate' over the front dampers.  This is  the worst-fitting part I've ever found in a Tamiya kit, possibly the only one!  I would suggest not fitting it at the stage suggested in the instructions and fettle it to fit after the nose goes on.  The decals wrapping around the front wing take a fair amount of setting solution, very warm water to soften the decals and hair dryer application.  The end plate decals really couldn't cope with the tight curves, I hope that you have better luck there!

I have another copy of the kit waiting in the stash.  Despite the decal issues, I'm still looking forward to it as it is a handsome model.

• Like 1

Aha! So this is where you've gone!! I don't make it down into this part of the forum often!

Hi Nigel. I will try and keep up your build!! It's a long time since I made a racing car - probably back in my teens......I think!! Looking forward to seeing yours in progress.

Hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Aha! So this is where you've gone!! I don't make it down into this part of the forum often!

Hi Nigel. I will try and keep up your build!! It's a long time since I made a racing car - probably back in my teens......I think!! Looking forward to seeing yours in progress.

Hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

All good thanks. Nice of you to drop in :happy: I'm starting the Intercepter GB next week but this has been keeping me out of mischief in the interim. Lots of prepping of parts but a fair few ready for paint now!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Johnny H was a brilliant driver, who knows what he might have achieved had he ever been fully fit in F1.  

I had the privilege to share a beer with him at La Rascasse during the Monaco 2013 GP. He's so humble; such a nice man!!

Couple of quick dry fit pics of the cockpit before the body goes off to the paint shop! I have to confess to being rather disappointed by the Tamiya belts. I thought they were going to be a pre-cut fabric and they are in fact (as I guess a lot you already know) un-cut plastic!! :sad:

2k5eFXC%5D

2k5eFXn%5D

Vicarage Vee mentioned his decals weren't great and after taking a closer look, these aren't looking too good either. Closer inspection finds a lot of yellowing and it makes me wonder if they're going to be brittle! Oh well, time will tell  :wonder:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel. Just checking if there's been any more progress on this or if you've been devoting your time to your Interceptor GB project.....just off to check the latter.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Yep, been working on the Beaufighter but have managed a tad more. Paint is complete and first decal is (wanted to check that they are going to play nicely).

Work is getting in the way of both builds at the minute but glad to be busy at present

2k6rcqm%5D

2kcGKAr%5D

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, F1Fan said:

Following this with keen interest, great work so far 

Many thanks :happy: The progress is rather slow (as expected) but I'm hoping to finish my Beaufighter soon so I'll have some time before the next GB to get some work done here 🤞

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one :) 

It's one of the gaps in my stash I need to fill (among others) but I have just got hold of a 102D at the right price :) 

Ian 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think this may be as far as this one goes. I've spent a tad more time on the decals but I'm not sure my patience is going to hold out. They're not going down great and I've already realised a placement error hence this may end up as a 'what if' some day.

Thanks to those who showed interest in this; sorry to disappoint :sorry:

Cheers

Nigel

2ktoT2V%5D

• Sad 1

Hi Nigel. Hope you are keeping well. I am sorry this one isn't going as planned. I must admit these 'high number of decals kits' always make me a little nervous. Hopefully it might get a look in somewhere down the line.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

All good thanks but definitely looking to the hobby for a bit of lockdown relief, not stress  :wink:  As much as I pictured this model looking like the box art, it's not to be hence moving onto my planned GBs. I'll check the lists to see if we're taking part in any of the same. Either way, I'll drop by your builds to see some 'magic'

Stay well

Nigel

• Like 1