Pipistrel Virus SW 1:72 - Toyota Prius of the skies

Evening,

Another in a series of small general aviation 1:72 models that I have been designing and 3d printing to keep 2020 interesting...and what better to model in 2020 than the Pipistrel Virus? (Actually it's pronounced Veerus).

2020-10-08_08-24-33 2020-10-08_08-24-17 2020-10-08_08-25-24 2020-10-08_08-24-51 2020-10-08_08-26-50 2020-10-08_08-27-31 2020-10-08_08-28-09 2020-10-08_08-25-46 2020-10-08_08-26-08 2020-10-08_08-26-19

This is a dinky plane with a lovely bird like fuselage that reminds me of an Etrich Taube. I think it deserves a model, it's quite a thing if you are unfamiliar - 140kt cruise at a claimed 48 nautical miles per gallon. 1000 or so have been manufactured so far, including 194 to India where it is the air force basic trainer. And happily, one flew over my house last week (once you've modelled one you can definitely spot them). 

This is the parts breakdown:

Virus parts

Thanks for stopping by!

Harry

• Like 25

Very neat little machine and ditto model. Also, it's really interesting to see how a new bransh of our hobby is developing in leaps and bounds.

Is the model resin printed or mad in ABS or similar?

Do you perhaps have a WIP anywhere? I'm interested in the technology, maybe for a Dan Dare Anastasia eventually…

Smart work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Evening,

Another in a series of small general aviation 1:72 models that I have been designing and 3d printing to keep 2020 interesting...and what better to model in 2020 than the Pipistrel Virus? (Actually it's pronounced Veerus).

It should be pronounced Virus, after all all lots of people can get one, it's airborne and can be very infectious. It'll also kill a  few people.😘

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Very nice, none of the stepping which sometimes characterizes 3D prints. I wouldn't like to accidentally lean on the door in flight though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelh said:

It'll also kill a  few people.😘

Yes, I noticed there have been a few crashes in India...but then, if it all goes wrong, it's got a parachute!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat little machine and ditto model. Also, it's really interesting to see how a new bransh of our hobby is developing in leaps and bounds.

Is the model resin printed or mad in ABS or similar?

Do you perhaps have a WIP anywhere? I'm interested in the technology, maybe for a Dan Dare Anastasia eventually…

Smart work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Thank you - this is a resin DLP print. FDM printing is not really ideal for model planes imho, at least for small ones, although useful if you wanted to make a giant model and didn't mind doing all the detail by hand. 

WiP - I'd like to, but I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment. Building these is really just like any resin kit with a bit more sanding. The design phase really needs a YouTube video series! 

• Like 1