Hurricane P.R. Mk.IIb

Katurbo

Hi All,

as the newest AH model has been released, I would like to build AM358. There is only a one major problem - camera containter below fuselage. I know that there is KORA kit available (camera+markings), but I heard a bad opinion about the resin part, so I want to scratch/project it myself. So, my question is: where can I find fine plans of that container? Books, websites, etc...?

spacer.png

Edited by Katurbo

Hmm, new on for me,  had a google

P1240915+copy.jpg

interesting.

First AM358 is a IIb,  as seen in the photo, the outer 0.303 parts doped over, and Air Britain says it's a IIb as well.

Note the book profile is a better match to the photos as well. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42288-tacr-hurricane-mki-sources/

has this

TacRMkIpod.jpg

If it gets the photobucket logo, this is an overlay, if you open image in a new tab, you can get the unsullied image.

but I think they varied,   but as the one in the photo is a bit obscured,  the above maybe as good as you will get for this. 

HTH

• Like 3

Possibly different fits - the sloping flat face is for a forward-looking camera, whereas the nicely faired solid nose is for a vertical.  Most of the photos I've seen show the sloping face, not sure I've seen the other but can't rule it out.

• Like 1

When Neil Robinson was editor of SAM, a number of 1/72 resin accessory kits were briefly issued under the magazine's aegis.  I suspect they were mastered by Paul Lucas and there was often a tie-in to a SAM article.  One of those packs featured PR Hurricanes, with at least one and possibly more camera bulges.  Can't remember now whether the set also included tropical filters or whether they were separate.  Caveat: the set may have been for the Hurricane I rather than Hurricane II but I doubt whether the camera bulge shaped changed that much.

Anyway, might be worth asking in the wanted section whether anyone has a set spare.

• Like 2

Once upon a time I had a resin Hurricane camera bulge but I sold it some time ago. It wasn't from SAM - maybe LF models ? Hazy memory suggests a rounded front.

1 hour ago, rossm said:

Once upon a time I had a resin Hurricane camera bulge but I sold it some time ago. It wasn't from SAM - maybe LF models ? Hazy memory suggests a rounded front.

1 hour ago, dalea said:

Scalemates shows resin  photo conversions from A&V models, The Final Touch and Kora. All, incidentally, have rounded fronts. SAM produced bits for Hurricane IV conversions.

Yes, A&V rings a bell now you mention it.

318 (Polish) Squadron were formed at Detling on 20th March 1943 for the specific purpose of providing photo-reconnaissance for Polish 2nd Corps in the Middle East. In mid-April the squadron took delivery of 14 well worn Hurricane Mk1s (six were actually Sea Hurricanes taken from CAM ships) and one Canadian Mk X. Despite having been overhauled by MUs, each Hurricane had typically 400 hours flying time, it took on average two days of work to get the aircraft airworthy. One was so bad that a crash inspector classed it Cat B and so it was dismantled and sent away on a trailer without it being flown by the squadron.

The next problem was that none of Hurricanes were fitted with photographic equipment. So ten of the aircraft were modified by cutting ports in the fuselage and fitting oblique and vertical camera mounts. This was done to a design prepared locally by Polish engineers.

In August the squadron, without aircraft or equipment, was despatched in convoy WS 33 on the SS Empress of Australia bound for Egypt. On 29th August they reached Almaza in Egypt and on 14th September the first nine Hurricane IIBs were delivered at Muqueibila in Palestine. Six more arrived the next day and three more two days after that. History repeated itself and the aircraft needed to be overhauled and fitted with gun cameras and photo-reconnaissance cameras.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 3:16 PM, Troy Smith said:

P1240915+copy.jpg

First AM358 is a IIb,  as seen in the photo, the outer 0.303 parts doped over, and Air Britain says it's a IIb as well.

Note the book profile is a better match to the photos as well...

What's this book Troy? I don't recall seeing it before but it looks like it's got a nice clear picture of the rear of the camera housing!

Should have searched before I posted... Mushroom Publications Polish Fighter Colours 1939 - 1947.

Edited by StevSmar
I edited because I'm tired today and not thinking straight.
  • Like 1