Panther Ausf. G with steel wheels.

Retired Bob

Sorry for all the questions Bob but I've just found this and it comes with 4 sets of wheels, so surely this would allow me to build a late G minus zimmerit with steel wheels?

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Sorry for all the questions Bob but I've just found this and it comes with 4 sets of wheels, so surely this would allow me to build a late G minus zimmerit with steel wheels?

I just had a look at the kit contents on the Scalemates site, it does not have a full set of steel wheels included, it has just a pair of steel wheels for the rear axles like my other Panther build, their paint schemes show this steel wheel fitted to most schemes, even from 1944 when in fact they were only fitted during March/April 45.  It looks a very nice kit, but I do not have one so ask if anyone that does have it what the box means about 4 sets of wheels? :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I just had a look at the kit contents on the Scalemates site, it does not have a full set of steel wheels included, it has just a pair of steel wheels for the rear axles like my other Panther build, their paint schemes show this steel wheel fitted to most schemes, even from 1944 when in fact they were only fitted during March/April 45.  It looks a very nice kit, but I do not have one so ask if anyone that does have it what the box means about 4 sets of wheels? :winkgrin:

Thanks Bob I'll leave you in peace now mate though I suppose the real answer is to learn the art of zimmerit application as then there's no issue with any kit i buy 🙂👍

11 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Bob I'll leave you in peace now mate though I suppose the real answer is to learn the art of zimmerit application as then there's no issue with any kit i buy 🙂👍

No problem, I have applied zimmerit and apart from Lee's method with mesh most other patterns are slow and very time consuming, makes applying rivet heads seem interesting.  I got this kit today, originally a Dragon kit but this new boxing by Das Werk gives the choice between the standard 75mm gun and a 105mm one but the best bit is the waffle pattern zimmerit is moulded on, and looks good.

IMG_1431

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

No problem, I have applied zimmerit and apart from Lee's method with mesh most other patterns are slow and very time consuming, makes applying rivet heads seem interesting.  I got this kit today, originally a Dragon kit but this new boxing by Das Werk gives the choice between the standard 75mm gun and a 105mm one but the best bit is the waffle pattern zimmerit is moulded on, and looks good.

IMG_1431

I have the same kit Bob and agree the zimmerit is excellent. The Tiger i built was from Das Werk also and again the zimmerit effect was great 👍 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I last updated this thread, been busy trying out disc camouflage schemes and other life distractions,  Repaired the broken track hooks, I'm just about happy with the camouflage pattern on this Panther so next task is some Klear  and burnt sienna oil washes..

IMG_1440

Any comment or suggestions welcome.

• Like 16

Looks great Bob, nice tight spray pattern too. Can I ask which and whos paint you've used?

Only ask as the brown looks better than the AK version I've used, less orange. Whilst I appreciate the late war yellows, brown and greens are different to the mid war ones, purely from an aesthetic point of view it is more how I'd imagine. The one I've used looks a little too orange so for future reference would be good to know.

Looking forward to seeing this progress. 

Cheers 

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Looks great Bob, nice tight spray pattern too. Can I ask which and whos paint you've used?

Hi Darryl, Tamiya paints sprayed freehand with the H&S Evolution with the 0.2 needle fitted.  Having looked at various Panther builds on modelling sites I copied the colours that I liked the look of, in this case the dark yellow was XF88, green XF89 and brown XF79 it's called linoleum deck brown, the lid is the same colour as XF90 brown but like you say it looks less orange.  All well thinned with Tamiya X-20A.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Another one doing two at the same time..........:doh:, make's me look like I'm dawdling along.....

Thanks Simon, but I'm just kit bashing compared to your masterpiece. :nod:

• 2 weeks later...