Panther Ausf. G with steel wheels.

Retired Bob

15 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Much less messy, and a lot faster drying, than oils. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go, Though I like the finish when using several different colours of oils.  Started using it years ago when muddying up a Churchill crocodile.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go, Though I like the finish when using several different colours of oils.  Started using it years ago when muddying up a Churchill crocodile.

No problem... Just wanted to offer a quicker drying less messy option :D

You can vary the colors with washes once dry. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

I am still waiting for my track burnishing fluid to arrive so I got this Dragon Panther G with zimmerit off the shelf of doom.  Nothing wrong with the kit but when I started it over a year ago I put it back in it's box while I decided what camouflage to do, and as usual I didn't get around to finishing it.  It was well over 25% built so I could not enter it into the GB but while I'm waiting I decided to finish it off while the other Panthers are on the go.  The magic tracks for the Panther do not have large enough holes to go over the sprocket teeth so 8 special links are provided on 4 small sprues, the guide horns are attached separately, you just have to line them up correctly. so they sit correctly on the sprocket  So here is, yet another Panther G, but it's just for entertainment value and is not going to be entered in the GB.

IMG_1399

:wtf: I've just noticed the L/H track has been glued on the wrong way around.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I've just noticed the L/H track has been glued on the wrong way around.

they look ok to me ...there fitted ground shoe forward and depression behind if that makes sense......:drunk:

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

You don't have the middle name Lee do you?  It's like a Panther production line....

Orderd the burnishing fluid from Poland with a few other bits and pieces, Aber barrel few figures enough to get free postage even a replacement mantlet for the ausf D, for the sake of £2.50 why not, and of course the Tamiya  airbrush cleaner (x2).

The day after the order had been sent and confirmed I got an email from them saying the replacement commanders cupola was back in stock.....the kit one is ok but the replacement is better, these early Panther aren't overly detailed compared to the later kits like yours. Probably cost almost as much as the part just to post it alone....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I got an email from them saying the replacement commanders cupola was back in stock.

Think that's called Murphy's law mate...happens too me far to often :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The day after the order had been sent and confirmed I got an email from them saying the replacement commanders cupola was back in stock.....the kit one is ok but the replacement is better, these early Panther aren't overly detailed compared to the later kits like yours. Probably cost almost as much as the part just to post it alone....

That's always the way, I believe it's called sods law. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/10/2020 at 00:26, M3talpig said:

they look ok to me ...there fitted ground shoe forward and depression behind if that makes sense......:drunk:

You're correct, I have got my Panthers mixed up, it's the steel wheeled one that I attached the left track backwards.  The way I check that they are correctly fitted (usually) is the ground shoe lower with the depression above it as it goes onto the drive sprocket, forming a backward "L" shape. anyway I managed to bodge it so it looks correct. 😛

A quick update on this Panther, I have finished attaching the magic tracks following the success of the other Panther, so here it is, the outer set of wheels are just pushed on for the photo, once the glue is fully dried I will also coat them with black surfacer,  The barrel had got some scratches on it, so I sanded it down and recoated it with black surfacer, hopefully the rougher sanded surface will help the paint stick better.

IMG_1409

Lee @Longbow, look at what you have created. :whistle:

Thanks for looking, any comments are always welcome.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

No burnishing fluid came today, the ebay parcel tracking system is not working so I have no idea when my goodies will arrive. :shrug:

I'm in luck my parcel from Poland arrived today, 3 bottles of the stuff, 2 Ak and 1 Mig.

Nice to see some paint being splashed around, magic tracks are looking good too.

Atb

• Like 1

Update on the steel wheeled Panther, with all the final parts attached and the brackets removed from the gun mantlet,  I have sprayed on a coat of Tamiya XF88, the lighting has made it appear very light.  The zimmerit coated Panther next to it has been sprayed with the older colour, Tamiya XF60 and will get a set of Fruils when finished.

IMG_1418

Thanks for looking, any comments are welcome.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Update on the steel wheeled Panther, with all the final parts attached and the brackets removed from the gun mantlet,  I have sprayed on a coat of Tamiya XF88, the lighting has made it appear very light.  The zimmerit coated Panther next to it has been sprayed with the older colour, Tamiya XF60 and will get a set of Fruils when finished.

IMG_1418

What are you building an entire Armored Regiment ? Impressive work wish I could build them like this. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a delay since my last update, I blame the lockdown, means the wife isn't going to work and leaving me to get on with the important things in life...modelling!

Painted the wheels and tracks, just got to put the metallic edges on the wheels  sprockets and idlers, I cannot see any rubbing on the edge of the wheels against the guide horns like there is on the standard wheels.  I have put on a first coat of camouflage paint, it's just freehanded working from photos and profiles using Tamiya paints, and I have managed to break off a spare track link hook from each side, good job I have some spare ones. :wtf:

IMG_1430

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Andy J said:

That looks great Bob loving the camo scheme 👌. Forgive my ignorance Bob but is this a late Panther and therefore no zimmerit 🤔

Thanks Andy, it's the first coat so with a bit of work it should look better eventually.  We all have to learn so it's no problem asking questions, the Germans used zimmerit for about one year, they stopped using it around the 9th of September 44, they stopped because there was no significant threat from magnetic mines, it added several days to the build time and since it contained sawdust there were rumours it made fires worse.  As my tank was built at the the end of September 44 it did not get any zimmerit, around this time the planned change to the Panther Ausf.F variant was cancelled so 23 Ausf.G tanks were built with the steel wheels that had been made for the Ausf.F version. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks Andy, it's the first coat so with a bit of work it should look better eventually.  We all have to learn so it's no problem asking questions, the Germans used zimmerit for about one year, they stopped using it around the 9th of September 44, they stopped because there was no significant threat from magnetic mines, it added several days to the build time and since it contained sawdust there were rumours it made fires worse.  As my tank was built at the the end of September 44 it did not get any zimmerit, around this time the planned change to the Panther Ausf.F variant was cancelled so 23 Ausf.G tanks were built with the steel wheels that had been made for the Ausf.F version. :winkgrin:

Thanks Bob, so did the steel wheels come with the kit? And for future reference when I'm buying kits is it right to assume that any tank built after September 44 should be zimmerit free?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Bob, so did the steel wheels come with the kit? And for future reference when I'm buying kits is it right to assume that any tank built after September 44 should be zimmerit free?

This Dragon kit contained both sets of wheels and parts so that any Ausf.G was possible but if you wanted one built before Sept 44 you would have to add the zimmerit yourself.  Yes, any tank built after Sept 44 would not have zimmerit, the usual problem is kits of German tanks from the year before that date that should have it, but don't. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

This Dragon kit contained both sets of wheels and parts so that any Ausf.G was possible but if you wanted one built before Sept 44 you would have to add the zimmerit yourself.  Yes, any tank built after Sept 44 would not have zimmerit, the usual problem is kits of German tanks from the year before that date that should have it, but don't. :winkgrin:

I think before I purchase anymore kits I'll need to do more research 🤔 Thanks for your help Bob much appreciated mate 👍 

• Like 1