Type 039 Song class Submarine - my first venture into 1/350 maritime - Complete, with modified screw!

Here is my first ever 1/350 scale model. Bronco models 1/350 Song type 039 Submarine.

The Type 039 submarine (NATO reporting name: Song-class) is a class of diesel-electric submarines built for the Chinese PLA Navy. The class is the first diesel-electric submarine to be fully developed within China and also the first Chinese diesel-electric submarine to use the modern teardrop hull shape.

Apart from a scratch built 1/1200 scale Oberon class built in my teens, this is also my first ever model of a Submarine. The Bronco kit is quite basic but in my opinion has good general surface detail. The top of the fin was modified to better represent the prototype, from pictures I found on the web. I used Tamiya acrylics, and rather than pure black, I mixed several shades of very dark grey for the main hull with some areas in pure matt black (mostly the upper hull walkway and under chin (bow) sonar below the torpedo tubes. The lower hull is Tamiya Hull red with a dash of extra pure red. Upper deck details and fin windows in various shades of grey, and the emergency buoy release doors in bright orange. The torpedo tube doors were added from very thin plastic card, as much of the scribed fine door outline was moulded across the doors and became almost invisible after clean up. Draught marks on the original were moulded on, so these were rubbed off and replaced with aftermarket decals.

The WIP can be found here:

So here she is complete:

IMG20201007162838 IMG20201008125256 IMG20201007163316 IMG20201007163243 IMG20201008125310 IMG20201008125303 IMG20201007163044 IMG20201008125205 IMG20201008125221 IMG20201008125030 IMG20201007163400 IMG20201008125054 IMG20201007163110 IMG20201008125522

Next Submarine project will be an Astute class. The difference in size is very noticeable!

Thanks for looking

Terry

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Nick Charnock said:

Very nice Terry 👍

Thanks Nick. I'm reasonably pleased. One small step into 1/350, but a long way to go to get to your Hood standard!

1 hour ago, dolphin38 said:

Great looking build, very nice finish :thumbsup:

Thanks, much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Very nice 'rapid' build Terry, gonna' do another? The one thing that sticks out for me is the prop lacking any pitch on its blades, not your fault I'm sure.

Thanks Stuart. Yes, I will (at some point) do my Astute and maybe other submarines including that Type 031 PLA modified Golf class I came upon! They are quite and interesting subject as it happens.

The prop had bothered me actually, for a number of reasons I couldn't pin down, and it was actually just press fit into the rear. Your observations are spot on, so I took it off after your comment, and did this:

IMG20201008191459 IMG20201008191508 IMG20201008191527

I was able to twist each blade without any damage. I think it looks much better (thanks) but the second picture above now shows how way over thick the screw blades are!

I think there is some retrospective work I could do to think those blades down, so who knows, that might happen yet!

You have an uncanny knack of replicating my conscience!

Terry

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Very nice looking boat there Terry I like the contrast between the matt and gloss surface as for the blades try thinner blades on next build don’t go making my mistake of always one more little adjustment and end up making a mess of the fantastic job already done 👍

Stay Safe

beefy  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

Nice Sub Terry!  😉

Thank you!

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Terry, I think you've done a very good job on the sub, way ahead of my 1/700 efforts. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. 1/700 is a challenging scale that I've yet to tackle succesfully!

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Very nice looking boat there Terry I like the contrast between the matt and gloss surface as for the blades try thinner blades on next build don’t go making my mistake of always one more little adjustment and end up making a mess of the fantastic job already done 👍

Stay Safe

beefy  

Thanks Beefy. Good advice that I suspect I will follow and just leave things as they are now!

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You're a man of many talents Terry. Neat fix with the prop blades, and a good job all round.

John.

Thanks John. Jack of all trades is another take on that! I do appreciate the compliment though.

2 hours ago, Dancona said:

Very nice clean build Terry, it must be tiny !

Thanks David. It is indeed quite small. The Astute should look impressive alongside, when I get around to that one!

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Very nice Terry. A few submarine kits have arrived here in the past few weeks. 😁

Thanks Roger. Submarines can be quite addictive I've now realised!

Thanks again all. Back to some aircraft models now, along with the saga of the Vosper!

Terry

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 9:17 AM, Chewbacca said:

Fabulous work Terry, especially after your reshaping of the propellor (or is it a propulsor given the number of blades?).

Thanks Ralph.

Your question prompted me to look that up. At first it seemed the two descriptions were interchangeable but some sources state a propulsor is shrouded. On a submarine apparently that reduces blade tip cavitation, and therefore noise. I guess the little Song class is/was a noisy little Singer!

On 10/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, robgizlu said:

Super finish and super display Terry.

Congrats on a very fine model

Rob

Thanks Rob. Am inspired to build another, but other projects await!

Terry