That 1965 Airfix 1/72nd Val D3A1

Here's my third Japanese WWII aircraft. I have returned to plastic modelling after too many years and I have decided to make as many Japanese planes as possible.

I've narrowed my list down to those were over 1000 were made, there's a lot :)

Here's the third, an old AIrfix kit from 1984 with plastic bits in it from the 1965 mould...

There's a thread in the WIP section, this took a bit of love to fashion.

I got depressed during the build but finally made it out the other end.

Learnt a lot. Notice how I flattened the tyres in completely the wrong place :(

As always, I welcome any and all comments.

c55cddd0-83bd-4919-b39d-e32b576fa43c.jpg

f8485dc7-19f1-4019-bf83-6cb8d2981de7.jpg

6b786493-6453-4a05-8437-598eb9f7fdf3.jpg

8171a5e5-91fe-4634-93a0-de308915b326.jpg

Thanks for watching!

That's all folks.

Edited by Si2
comment comment
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Very nice model! I didn't know there was an upgraded kit - I built the original 1965 version as a kid. That was an exotic plane then.

29 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Very nice model! I didn't know there was an upgraded kit - I built the original 1965 version as a kid. That was an exotic plane then.

Belive me, the kit is NOT upgraded :)

This is pure 1965.

• Like 1

Good job. Yours brought nostalgic memories flooding back. Long overshadowed and neglected for so many years by major manufacturers other than the Japanese brands who gave them a major push in the 1970s, Japanese types are an interesting study. As long as the shape reasonably resembles the type, skillful painting always invokes suspension of disbelief and arouses interest. 

In many ways, imperfections regardless, those venerable kits really hit a resonant mark.  Better than anything IMP which came before, which for the most part was "nothing", they went together quickly and easily, were instantly recognisable and another toy for this boy's armory even if the box top art was only applied imaginatively in the very early years. 

I never had the Airfix "Val" myself back in the day, but I recall the excitement when I built my "Dinah" not so very long after its release.  Spending that much, I think the triage process went something like 'a two engine type' seemed better value than one, so the "Val" stayed on the shelf for another day, which never eventuated in those years. Both were Series Two and boxed rather than header hangers, so not the ordinary fortnightly spend on the trip to the hobby shop to cough up my pocket money in those days. 

• Like 2

I congratulate you for taking on the dated molds when there are other more modern options available and turning it into a real beauty.  I would be proud to have this in my display cabinet.  Well done!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

I congratulate you for taking on the dated molds when there are other more modern options available and turning it into a real beauty.  I would be proud to have this in my display cabinet.  Well done!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

This one was cheap in my local model shop. I regretted the choice at some points, but in the end I'm happy it's done.

I now have a Tamiya kit to restore my sanity!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

These vintage kits have a archaic beauty in itself and thus somehow appealing in its own right, beautiful little reminder of that....

Edited by supersonic
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Si2 said:

I now have a Tamiya kit to restore my sanity!

Haha. Mojo magicians. Older or newer tool, Tamiya are pleasurable kits to build and invoke aesthetic suspension of disbelief that's for sure.

If you like Japanese 1937-1945 period subjects, unless 1/72 is your preference for reasons of space, economy or just a liking for the scale, it might interest you to have consider Hasegawa 1/48 kit lineup for a much wider selection of types, along with Tamiya's of course.  Hasegawa's "Val" and early & later "Kate" for instance, if more work than your average Tamiya, build into beautiful detailed models at price points not a lot more than Tamiya's venerable moulds, but at around half the price of Tamiyas newest tool kits in that popular scale.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 21:31, Bigglesof266 said:

Haha. Mojo magicians. Older or newer tool, Tamiya are pleasurable kits to build and invoke aesthetic suspension of disbelief that's for sure.

If you like Japanese 1937-1945 period subjects, unless 1/72 is your preference for reasons of space, economy or just a liking for the scale, it might interest you to have consider Hasegawa 1/48 kit lineup for a much wider selection of types, along with Tamiya's of course.  Hasegawa's "Val" and early & later "Kate" for instance, if more work than your average Tamiya, build into beautiful detailed models at price points not a lot more than Tamiya's venerable moulds, but at around half the price of Tamiyas newest tool kits in that popular scale.

I like building but when they are done they just collect dust. I need somewhere nice to store them. 1:72 is just right for my skill level I think. 

• Like 1

Your build reveals nothing of its old-school origins, as far as I'm concerned!

All the hard work and angst really paid off in the end.

Extremely well done!  :thumbsup::clap2:

Looking forward to seeing your next project!

• Like 1