Nichimo 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IX(?)

This started as serious build, but when I put the plastic up against scale plans, absolutely nothing lined up and I wasn’t sure what Mark it was. Usually I’m not a rivet counter, but it was the rivets that threw me off. Bazillions of over-scale rivets(Notice the starboard roundel). Back in the box she went for a few years until I happened upon a photo-shop site that was having a contest “What if zebras were in charge of painting” Along side the zebra striped White House, Pyramids and such was a zebra striped spitfire. Once built and painted, my youngest daughter fell in love with it and wanted it. A new snag hit when the clear parts wouldn’t fit and so it sat for about 4-5 years. In the spares box I found a canopy that would kinda, sorta fit, another model gave me the windscreen(wrong type) and I sawed apart the Nichimo clear parts for the rear piece. May I present a fictitious South African squadron hack, coded ZB⦾A. In hindsight, darker decals should have been used

002-jpg.244725

blackadder57_201008_5f7ed41bd1427.jpg?14

My muse

zebra-spitfire-safari-38248-jpg.244732

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, fubar57 said:

This started as serious build, but when I put the plastic up against scale plans, absolutely nothing lined up and I wasn’t sure what Mark it was. Usually I’m not a rivet counter, but it was the rivets that threw me off. Bazillions of over-scale rivets(Notice the starboard roundel). Back in the box she went for a few years until I happened upon a photo-shop site that was having a contest “What if zebras were in charge of painting” Along side the zebra striped White House, Pyramids and such was a zebra striped spitfire. Once built and painted, my youngest daughter fell in love with it and wanted it. A new snag hit when the clear parts wouldn’t fit and so it sat for about 4-5 years. In the spares box I found a canopy that would kinda, sorta fit, another model gave me the windscreen(wrong type) and I sawed apart the Nichimo clear parts for the rear piece. May I present a fictitious South African squadron hack, coded ZB⦾A. In hindsight, darker decals should have been used

002-jpg.244725

blackadder57_201008_5f7ed41bd1427.jpg?14

My muse

zebra-spitfire-safari-38248-jpg.244732

Nice job with models.  photos is weird plane have polish markings from 317 squadron . I think is photos is made on Photoshop

Edited by Gierek
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

oh boy I love it.  Great paint job .  Imagine if a real one was flying toward you in that scheme !!!

Does your daughter still want it ???

Great job.

Chris

Thanks Chris. It occupies a shelf by itself on her knick-knack shelf

6 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

More a WTF than a What If! I like it though.

Is that an old Revell stand it's mounted on?

Pete

Not sure. It came with the kit

Thanks all for the kind words

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Thanks Chris. It occupies a shelf by itself on her knick-knack shelf

That's nice,  I am glad she still wanted it.  My Daughter wanted a model to paint pink with rainbows on each wing in the roundel positions,  so I quickly made a Frog Sea Venom and left it for her to paint at the beginning of the lockdown , she has not done it and now has no interest and has gone off pink too, I give up!!!

Chris