Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72

CedB

I do hope this update isn't the final layout, can't say I'm too fond of it...

However, pilots with feet is a definite step forward (subtle?) on a Ced build!

Ian

• Haha 5

On 10/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, CedB said:

I think now is the time to apologise to Craig then - looks like the kit paints aren't going to do the job :(

Please don’t concern yourself Ced. I’ve been feeling guilty about consigning you to a potential nightmare of gloopy unworkable Humbrol horror ever since you picked up on my light-hearted remarks. I can relax and enjoy your build now!

Craig. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We have, at t'club, a chap who insists on using the Airfixotropic stuff from the starter kits in my presence.

Having used with my granddaughter (who is already at ten a better artist than I) the starter set paints to prepare an Airfix Spitfire for its public appearance after she built her first model I can state unequivocally that the gloop is ...

Er how shall I put this without incurring the wrath of MODS?

The gloop is a coloured substance consisting of a fairly quick drying pigment carrying medium.

It can coat an item if stirred often, frequently and unceasingly with colour as defined somewhere, (Where? I dont know.) and leave it coloured just like a crude paint type stuff.

Tamiya or Mr Color it ain'tn'tn't.

He does try but his fine efforts go unrewarded in comparison to actually painted models, with paint.

I suggest you have saved yourself more than a tad of heartache Ced.

• Haha 6

19 hours ago, hendie said:

then after that you may be in the mood to do some modeling?

Mehbe. :D 

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Pig Squadron Scramble!

Oi! I'm a good boy i am, honestly occifer :D 

19 hours ago, Brandy said:

I do hope this update isn't the final layout, can't say I'm too fond of it...

However, pilots with feet is a definite step forward (subtle?) on a Ced build!

Ian

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I cant agree more on that sentiment. 

Eject! On cocktail sticks. These defence cutbacks are a … :D

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Glad you’re mono cup floodeth over. Mine is back too! Something in the Autumn air. 🔥🍁🍂

wonderful progress. 🙌

Johnny

Yep, feeling a bit more mojo'd now Johnny and hope yours and mine lasts! :) 

15 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Please don’t concern yourself Ced. I’ve been feeling guilty about consigning you to a potential nightmare of gloopy unworkable Humbrol horror ever since you picked up on my light-hearted remarks. I can relax and enjoy your build now!

Craig. 

Worry ye not Craig :) 

Although it doesn't look promising from the outside:

50468182388_1f0be463ce_z.jpg

Once you've cut the hinge (to stop it tipping on the bench) and given it a good stir it does appear to be paint:

50468257463_20325944e5_z.jpg

I was going to say I think Humbrol put an effort into the starter sets, given that they are supposed to be the first time you try their products, but then…

1 hour ago, perdu said:

We have, at t'club, a chap who insists on using the Airfixotropic stuff from the starter kits in my presence.

Having used with my granddaughter (who is already at ten a better artist than I) the starter set paints to prepare an Airfix Spitfire for its public appearance after she built her first model I can state unequivocally that the gloop is ...

Er how shall I put this without incurring the wrath of MODS?

The gloop is a coloured substance consisting of a fairly quick drying pigment carrying medium.

It can coat an item if stirred often, frequently and unceasingly with colour as defined somewhere, (Where? I dont know.) and leave it coloured just like a crude paint type stuff.

Tamiya or Mr Color it ain'tn'tn't.

He does try but his fine efforts go unrewarded in comparison to actually painted models, with paint.

I suggest you have saved yourself more than a tad of heartache Ced.

The master speaks! :) 

You can see from this no-you're-not-getting-close-up pictures that the Hu33 isn't very matt:

50468107123_73f07cd0b9_n.jpg 50469038102_6eb00033c3_n.jpg

Maybe I didn't mix it enough. I'll go over it later.

Just the odd irritating pins inside the Scooter seat:

50468109358_88f562cd8b_z.jpg

Now chopped off.

No I'm not going to fill the gap in the seat.

This is a mojo restarting OOB build and if Airfix think there should be a huge seam down the seat, so be it!

I've sloshed some paint on the internal bits and, when that's dry, can apply the transfers:

50469023861_f01304d1af_z.jpg

Bits are coming together (fnaar!)

I must say this forum update is a bit Curate's egg…

I like the way it collapses long quote posts (with an expand button) when you're reading but it's a pain when you're replying. IMHO.

Maybe I just need to get used to it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I think you're just going to have to grit your teeth, throw away the gloop, and use some paint. The Skyhawk seat does have a passing ( but not very close )resemblance to an early Escapac.

John

PS I don't much care for the new format either.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Once you've cut the hinge (to stop it tipping on the bench) and given it a good stir it does appear to be paint:

Hmm. Lured back into the hobby as I was by that well known gateway drug, the Aldi’s starter set, I have a fair amount of experience with this stuff and I think you give it far too much credit. Not to mention the fact that the lid is perfectly designed to let “paint” drip all over the workbench unless you cut the lid off and, as you have discovered, the number on the lid wears off with but a wayward glance making every pot opening an adventure of exciting discovery.  I’m with @perdu on this one, save yourself a lot of pain and use something decent. 

Craig.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

if Airfix think there should be a huge seam down the seat, so be it!

That applies no doubt to the extremely big moulding gates sticking out of it too, that will stop the driver wriggling about too much won't it?

Hmm, too early?

First Mince Pie of the season dropping crumbs all over the bench as I write...

1602597544767304118072197580212.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, CedB said:

No I'm not going to fill the gap in the seat.

Pilot's bum should cover most of it anyway...!! 🤣

Some mojo back here too, mainly as I've been having heaps of fun weathering a Plastic Soldier Company Tiger 1 that I started as a quick build

(in March!) Really enjoying it and have since bought a Tamiya 35th Jagdpanther as a 'nostalgia build' - the original Tamy kit of it being the first model I ever airbrushed, back in't dark ages! Hoping the enjoyment lasts with that one!

Keith

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think you're just going to have to grit your teeth, throw away the gloop, and use some paint. The Skyhawk seat does have a passing ( but not very close )resemblance to an early Escapac.

John

PS I don't much care for the new format either.

Thanks John :)

Ah, now I have an admission to make - I'd forgotten the seat pads! Now fitted (see below)

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Hmm. Lured back into the hobby as I was by that well known gateway drug, the Aldi’s starter set, I have a fair amount of experience with this stuff and I think you give it far too much credit. Not to mention the fact that the lid is perfectly designed to let “paint” drip all over the workbench unless you cut the lid off and, as you have discovered, the number on the lid wears off with but a wayward glance making every pot opening an adventure of exciting discovery.  I’m with @perdu on this one, save yourself a lot of pain and use something decent. 

Craig.

Who are you and what have you done with our Craig? :) 

now realise your earlier question about using the starter pots should have been more like 'You're not going to use the pots are you?'

As Magnus would say, I've started so I'll (maybe) finish…

1 hour ago, perdu said:

That applies no doubt to the extremely big moulding gates sticking out of it too, that will stop the driver wriggling about too much won't it?

Hmm, too early?

First Mince Pie of the season dropping crumbs all over the bench as I write...

[tempting picture removed]

Check the calendar. Is there a 'z' in the month? No? Fine for a mince pie then! :D 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Pilot's bum should cover most of it anyway...!! 🤣

Some mojo back here too, mainly as I've been having heaps of fun weathering a Plastic Soldier Company Tiger 1 that I started as a quick build

(in March!) Really enjoying it and have since bought a Tamiya 35th Jagdpanther as a 'nostalgia build' - the original Tamy kit of it being the first model I ever airbrushed, back in't dark ages! Hoping the enjoyment lasts with that one!

Keith

(Snigger… he said 'bum'!)

Thanks Keith - glad to hear your mojo's recovering too! :) 

The seat pads cover it too:

50470116183_307ceb815a_z.jpg

The pilot's showing off his moulded surgical modifications - gosh, those pilots certainly were dedicated eh?

Or were they selected for the flat bottoms do you think?

You can imagine it can't you…

'Hey Marv, have you seen Johnson's bottom? Looks like a Scooter candidate to me'.

Well, maybe not.

Anyhow, the pilots got a dirty wash:

50470758321_9ca052cf97_z.jpg

Then the SHAR pilot was inserted:

50470076198_f0c120f1d5_z.jpg

OK, perhaps hendie's prediction will not come true…

"No, wait" shouted Archie "my feet are twisted together a bit. Try prising them apart and let me have another go."

Sure enough, with a bit of help, in he went:

50470917126_8a609ecb98_z.jpg

Scalpels away chaps.

In with the Scooter pilot:

50470995802_d729b60258_z.jpg

Not bad eh? You can see how the chunks missing from his arms fit over the console.

I had trouble fitting his joystick (oooer Missus) so he came out temporarily while that was located and then back he went.

Fits in the fuselage too - note that the bottom of the 'pit forms the front wheel bay:

50470858906_824757a215_z.jpg

Quick interior shot:

50470902731_3181ed6222_z.jpg

Then it was time to separate the fuselage halves from the trees. Had to take care not to chop off the pitot thingie:

50470191928_af8130dd14_z.jpg

…and this gate is NASTY:

50470869266_9126d08c8f_z.jpg

…on both sides. This will need cleaning up:

50471052232_968962217c_z.jpg

Still, progress!

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

There was something about the photo of the SHAR pilot trying to get into his seat that made me laugh out loud.  🤣 

John don't knock it, that is me sliding down into my Midget...

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I can hardly get into the TC thanks to Lockdown Paunch Syndrome :( and it's a slide entry cos the doors are bolted shut!

• Like 2

On 13/10/2020 at 16:26, giemme said:

And good progress too! :clap2:  :clap2: Those huge Airfix gates are most annoying, aren't they? :badmood:

Ciao

They are indeed - especially when they look like actual parts! See below :) 

On 13/10/2020 at 17:04, perdu said:

:rofl2:

On 13/10/2020 at 17:08, Dandie Dinmont said:

Queen had a song about this didn’t they?

”Flat bottomed boys who flew their scooters up Falkland Sound”

I’m sure that’s how it went. 

Craig. 

Good one Craig :rofl:

On 13/10/2020 at 17:27, Hamden said:

Nice start Ced those cockpits are coming together nicely

Stay safe            Roger

Thanks Roger - not too bad given the amount of effort I'm putting in i.e. very little! :) 

On 13/10/2020 at 18:07, 2996 Victor said:

I can hardly get into the TC thanks to Lockdown Paunch Syndrome :( and it's a slide entry cos the doors are bolted shut!

You have a TC mark? Lucky chap! Photos please… :) 

Not much done in the last day or so as we've been waiting for the first Grandchild to be born.

Arrived this morning, Otto Jones. 

Full specs to follow.

So I could do some on the kits.

Intake and turbine assembly:

50484288866_52eb4f3668_z.jpg

Delayed a bit after puzzling over the Scooter trees until I realised. Duh.

Look at 6B though - now that's what I call a bad pin placing.

Turbine and intake have been painted and the other inserts glued to one side of the fuselage:

50488921583_9f20fdbc8d_z.jpg

I needed to dry fit the other fuselage half to make sure the bits located properly. Tricky.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Congratchumalashuns Clan Ced! Welcome to the world, Otto! :cat:

What H said, well done the mom and dad

And the grand-grandparents

Welcome to the madhouse Otto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

Not much done in the last day or so as we've been waiting for the first Grandchild to be born.

Arrived this morning, Otto Jones. 

Commiseratio.... er Congratulations Mrs and Mr Ced, the new parents and 'ickle baby Otto - grandkids are brilliant tbh!

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

You have a TC mark? Lucky chap! Photos please… :) 

Seconded!!

Went to try and start the Mini this morning but as suspected the battery was flat. Thing is I'm sure it's got smaller since I last sat in it, I mean I can't have got bigger..... :shrug:

Keith

• Haha 4