Jump to content

Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72


Recommended Posts

Thanks Bill :) 

 

Well, it seems to be up so here goes… where was I?

 

Damn, down again. I give up (until tomorrow).

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CedB said:

Didn't you follow the Hurricanes?

Alas I have spent much of the recent few months in the maritime section for my sins. Aviation mojo creeping back now!

 

So the big question Ced, will the A-4 be an Airforce P(aka B) or C or a Navy Q(modified B)? I may not have posed that question entirely accurately. I find Argentine Skyhawk types a little confusing!

 

Terry

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

yup, they're blaming pandas here too. Not only pandas, but by looking at he pic, plastic pandas!

 

Ian

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CedB said:

I'd need to ask the neighbour if it was OK to knock a hole in the wall…

 

So, where's the problem...? 

 

K :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I’m late.  Have I missed anything?

 

Bit alarmed by the bright yellow doppler panel on those transfers.  Don’t look like no Sea Jet I’ve ever seen! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Alas I have spent much of the recent few months in the maritime section for my sins. Aviation mojo creeping back now!

 

So the big question Ced, will the A-4 be an Airforce P(aka B) or C or a Navy Q(modified B)? I may not have posed that question entirely accurately. I find Argentine Skyhawk types a little confusing!

 

Terry

Welcome back then Terry! :) 

According to the box the Skyhawk is an A-4P - does that make sense?

12 hours ago, Brandy said:

yup, they're blaming pandas here too. Not only pandas, but by looking at he pic, plastic pandas!

 

Ian

Back up this morning, finally! :) 

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

So, where's the problem...? 

 

K :)

 

The neighbour is a submariner and therefore not very keen on holes :D 

11 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Wha.....oh, sorry :banghead: I'll tag along, too, if I may?

Cheers,

Mark

Of course - welcome Mark :) 

8 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Sorry I’m late.  Have I missed anything?

 

Bit alarmed by the bright yellow doppler panel on those transfers.  Don’t look like no Sea Jet I’ve ever seen! 

You've only missed some ranting Crisp so nothing special :) 

Doppler panels? I Googled that, to no avail, even with the (apparently) preferred dumb question format (i.e. 'Why do aircraft have doppler panels?')

Could you enlighten me please (again)?

 

 

Right, let's try again.

SHAR trees:

 

50441661032_1d90c97499_z.jpg

 

50440786258_56271b1292_z.jpg

 

50441661007_c4c6fc56de_z.jpg

 

With some nice molding detail:

 

50441660782_ef3f4d17f7_z.jpg

 

…and nice clear canopy:

 

50441477031_8b49e0b44a_z.jpg

 

 

The Skyhawk looks to be a similar standard:

 

50441660917_31f2684a4b_z.jpg

 

50441661017_83f8221758_z.jpg

 

50441552616_705f6b6ec6_z.jpg

 

Again with some nice detail:

 

50441661057_06f669f71f_z.jpg

 

…and canopy:

 

50440861233_9fe28f9f25_z.jpg

 

Sorry, that's blurry.

Right, let's look at some progress…

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

Craig has challenged me (sort of) to use just the starter kit paints so I'll try that for a bit of fun.

When I buy a starter pack I usually take the glue, brushes and paint straight out of the box and store them with other similar items.

The paint goes in here:

 

50441734472_ac764ffab4_z.jpg

 

Problem 1: the box art shows 10 pots including a red.

Problem 2: some of the pots have badly printed numbers on them.

 

I did manage to find them though:

 

50441734457_3432ffb41c_z.jpg

 

…except the red which, at the moment, I can't find in the instructions so I'm not sure which red it should be.

Just in case the pots are useless I've also checked that I have full sized equivalents:

 

50441737777_dd818bdc27_z.jpg

 

 

Of course one problem with using the pack paints is that the designers are somewhat limited when it comes to painting details.

For example, the pilots get, er, greenish flight suits and helmets:

 

50440860688_a614dc4c14_n.jpg 50440860628_798de8c0ec_n.jpg

 

Obviously they're going to need more painting than other parts so they were started first, with a base coat of Ratskin Flesh (sorry Craig, I couldn't have green-faced pilots) and then the Hu116:

 

50443930012_129b313085_z.jpg

 

Hang on a minute… the Skyhawk pilot is a weirdly flat bottomed modern pilot, but the SHAR?

That's an Archie!

Not very period, is he - with his leather flying helmet and boots and all…

Oh well, good enough for the ceiling.

They'll both get Hu33 boots, some detailing and Archie gets white gloves (hooray!)

 

I've also started assembling the seats:

 

50443056963_c53384cf68_z.jpg

 

The SHAR seat has a hole in the bottom that fits over a peg in the tub. Not being confident that it went all the way on I checked to make sure the canopy fits:

 

50441816537_196d5c78c1_z.jpg

 

Yep, fine.

 

Right, hopefully I can get on now…

  • Like 23
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the interest of eddicating Ri Ced may I interpose?

 

The bright yellow Doppler panels should rightly be a washed out beigey raw fibreglass colour.

 

I believe 'the doppler' device indicates to the driver just how little space he has left below him until the surface begins abrading the airplane's bottom.

 

On the SHAR set it's a pair of adjacent bloody bright yellow rectangles near one of the nozzle deflection gauge transfers.

 

HTH...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I’m late. *Takes off wet coat and shakes off the drizzle. “One more log on the fire please, I’ll get the coffee on”. Looks like your back in action dear boy. 😍

 

Johnny

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CedB said:

 

50440785708_8b6afe9923_z.jpg

See the curved ruler thing (nozzles angle indicator) on the bottom left of the Shar transfers?  Next to it, double yellow bar = Doppler aerial underneath the nose.  And to answer your question why aircraft need doppler panels: to judge / measure speed and direction at speeds too low for conventional pitot systems to measure (like, say, hovering).  Also helps with assessing drift over water.

 

The Shar doppler panel is a tan colour; think Buccaneer S1 nose radome.  Not bright yellow!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party. Noisy jet-type thingies are not really my bag, but it’s a Ced build so I will linger in the doorway and peep in occasionally to see progress.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

wrong again bilium

 

Speed drift wobbling about all over the place stuff

 

I got the colour right though.

 

When I did my S1 Buccynears I made a couple of colour sheet decals of slightly different beigey colours ready for any further needs

Pays to be prepared

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CedB said:

According to the box the Skyhawk is an A-4P - does that make sense?

Yep that makes sense and looking at the decals it is an Airforce one I'm fairly certain.

 

And as Crisp has pointed out, that yellow is way too bright for the doppler panel as you can see.

 

Sea Harrier

 

Terry

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to wander too far off topic but lately I almost never do jets. Aside from a mig 21 that I started 30 years ago ( oh of course my Campini) I haven’t built a jet in years but I have a skyhawk and a gnat in my stash and these 

50172945583_d271e618e2_c.jpg

50251251453_420d6cbac2_c.jpg

Which I bought in a moment (s) of madness and I ’m planning to build in a burst. 
 

Oh and a gloster whittle and a Hienkel 170 in 1/48 also in the stash 
 

So em what did the Romans do for us .,,

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perdu said:

In the interest of eddicating Ri Ced may I interpose?

 

The bright yellow Doppler panels should rightly be a washed out beigey raw fibreglass colour.

 

I believe 'the doppler' device indicates to the driver just how little space he has left below him until the surface begins abrading the airplane's bottom.

 

On the SHAR set it's a pair of adjacent bloody bright yellow rectangles near one of the nozzle deflection gauge transfers.

 

HTH...

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

See the curved ruler thing (nozzles angle indicator) on the bottom left of the Shar transfers?  Next to it, double yellow bar = Doppler aerial underneath the nose.  And to answer your question why aircraft need doppler panels: to judge / measure speed and direction at speeds too low for conventional pitot systems to measure (like, say, hovering).  Also helps with assessing drift over water.

 

The Shar doppler panel is a tan colour; think Buccaneer S1 nose radome.  Not bright yellow!

1 hour ago, perdu said:

 

wrong again bilium

 

Speed drift wobbling about all over the place stuff

 

I got the colour right though.

 

When I did my S1 Buccynears I made a couple of colour sheet decals of slightly different beigey colours ready for any further needs

Pays to be prepared

23 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Yep that makes sense and looking at the decals it is an Airforce one I'm fairly certain.

 

And as Crisp has pointed out, that yellow is way too bright for the doppler panel as you can see.

 

Sea Harrier

 

Terry

 

Thanks Gents, very helpful :)

I think now is the time to apologise to Craig then - looks like the kit paints aren't going to do the job :( 

 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry I’m late. *Takes off wet coat and shakes off the drizzle. “One more log on the fire please, I’ll get the coffee on”. Looks like your back in action dear boy. 😍

 

Johnny

Welcome Johnny :) Certainly more progress, thankfully.

 

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Late to the party. Noisy jet-type thingies are not really my bag, but it’s a Ced build so I will linger in the doorway and peep in occasionally to see progress.

Nor me Heather, usually. I do allow some 'specials' though and I think these count, in my head anyway.

I was in the MoD (Navy) at the time so the memories are there, albeit from a distance :) 

 

52 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ah, this looks like is going at a more regular Ced's pace... :)

 

 

So far Giorgio, so far :fingerscrossed:

 

16 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Not to wander too far off topic but lately I almost never do jets. Aside from a mig 21 that I started 30 years ago ( oh of course my Campini) I haven’t built a jet in years but I have a skyhawk and a gnat in my stash and these 

[snip pics]

 

Which I bought in a moment (s) of madness and I ’m planning to build in a burst. 
 

Oh and a gloster whittle and a Hienkel 170 in 1/48 also in the stash 
 

So em what did the Romans do for us .,,

Crikey, that's quite a stash Mark!

As I mentioned above I wander from my theme from time to time for 'specials' and early jets are on the cards, as are 'specials' like these two :) 

 

Hanging Hurricanes this morning so my arms are empty at the moment.

More soon.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CedB said:

They'll both get Hu33 boots, some detailing and Archie gets white gloves (hooray!)

 

Could these be the first pilots ever to keep their feet in a Ced build?

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling up a chair to this one. I've got my mask on and will sit near the open window if I may? Always loved the Harrier. Did a GR5 last year but have most of the variants in the stash. Must get back to my Sea Harrier 'hovering' on the shelf of doom. Nice tips about the doppler panel colours, obvious now it's pointed out. Right, onwards and upwards Ced. Any particular aircraft you're modelling? Will you stick with the kit decals/serials or divert off-piste? Much variation and field (sea) applied paint alterations from what I gather. :popcorn:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, CedB said:

Hanging Hurricanes this morning so my arms are empty at the moment.

Man's a poet.

 

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2020 at 13:53, hendie said:

 

Could these be the first pilots ever to keep their feet in a Ced build?

 

Maybe :D

 

 

What's going on with the forum? Everything's gone a bit grey and the bottom of the quoted boxes has vanished? Can't be my eyes going can it??!!

 

 

On 10/10/2020 at 18:43, Marklo said:

I’m entirely with you there @CedB I also find myself doing that in life as well as model making :) 

Thanks Mark :) 

 

On 10/10/2020 at 20:40, Pete in Lincs said:

There's a lot of it about. Self isolation doesn't cure it.

Oh dear. At least you won't be passing it on Pete :D 

 

20 hours ago, HP42 said:

Pulling up a chair to this one. I've got my mask on and will sit near the open window if I may? Always loved the Harrier. Did a GR5 last year but have most of the variants in the stash. Must get back to my Sea Harrier 'hovering' on the shelf of doom. Nice tips about the doppler panel colours, obvious now it's pointed out. Right, onwards and upwards Ced. Any particular aircraft you're modelling? Will you stick with the kit decals/serials or divert off-piste? Much variation and field (sea) applied paint alterations from what I gather. :popcorn:

Hey Phil! Sticking to OOB builds for (hopefully) a mojo boost :) 

 

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Man's a poet.

 

…and I don't know it :D 

 

 

Not a huge mojo boost today but, today Matthew, I'm painting things black:

 

50461380896_c455862939_z.jpg

 

50460687103_d82f38450e_z.jpg

 

With any luck there'll be some glue soon.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, where's the 'Go to Top' button gone?

I use that, a lot.

 

Ah, there's been a forum update:

Took some time to post that.

Better read it then…

 

OK, 'Go to Top' now a little 'up arrow' bottom right of screen.

Happy for the moment, probably.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...