Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72

CedB

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

Possibly a few days, not a technique which I have tried but I have read of it doing the job.

I’ve heard of this there’s a recent build of a Cheyenne on the forums where the decals were restored this way,

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 2

Can confirm, it (sticking to the window) works.

Of course, in these Dark Days.... you have to leave them for longer periods, but I've successfully de-yellowed decal sheets from yore in that manner.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Can confirm, it (sticking to the window) works.

Of course, in these Dark Days.... you have to leave them for longer periods, but I've successfully de-yellowed decal sheets from yore in that manner.

I can also confirm this. 

Don’t get caught out, like I did, by hoping UV rays make it through the double-glazing - especially if the glass is that clever stuff that stops UV getting through. :facepalm:

• Haha 11

Thanks Roger, alt-92, Noel and Bill for the 'closed' confirmation and especially to alt for the great pictures. I'm certainly getting some more Harrier love :) 

Thanks to Keith for the SHAR translation and, like Bill, I won't ignore you! :D 

4 hours ago, perdu said:

In other news:

Grey plastic or silver old style Hairfix placky?

I am not sure if I have transfers for them but rest assured it will not be hard to collect some together.

:)

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Decision taken off you Ced, you get the silver oldest style Aifix kit-in-a-bag

P1010064.jpg

The transfers need some application of "oohya!" so it will be fun

Bill you are an exceptionally kind and generous man and I'm sure I can do something with the transfers - or make some more!

I'll look forward to building that - and watching you do yours of course.

I'd better get mine done quickly before you set the bar too high for me! :) 

Thanks to Shalako, alt, Mark and Heather for the tip on giving the transfers a tanning. I'll see what they're like and decide what to do later…

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

The 3GS was a flat touch screen but the back was a bit more sculpted and it did fit in the hand well. But I do like my 7 ( it’s a black seven which also happens to be one of my favourite songs :) so I can and have played black 7 on my black 7)

Now mind, if money was no option I’d be ordering my 12 plus now, but as these things go I’ll probably get one in 2025 or thereabouts :) 

Modern neonatal care is pretty good. My daughter was born 8 weeks early and weighed 1022g (yes a well filled bag or sugar) and although she’s in the petite side she’s healthy and strong, holds a black belt( I’m only one belt behind btw) in Taekwando and has just finished her degree. 

Back to modelling I do have a 1/144 scale Harrier in the stash that I’m tempted to break out. Maybe cut the WIP down a bit more before I do, hmmm.

Thanks Mark - I still remember stroking that 3 though! :D 

Pleased to hear your daughter turned out fine - reassuring.

Right, close the intakes and… oh wait:

50512692813_c54f082ac1_z.jpg

Nasty flash. Once sanded they went on really well:

50513410961_a586d2c2a9_z.jpg

Next question.

When I dry fitted the canopy the bit behind the seat shows:

50513440701_cf34b5321f_z.jpg

…and there's a gap. Should the gap be there? How's this from alt's pic:

33793005093_68532acfcb.jpg

Yes then. But what colour?

While you're pondering that I'll prepare the Scooter for its u/c doors, closed of course.

Adopt the position!

50512732553_92fe7db3ed_z.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 4

Hmm, the P1127. That kit is so rare now. Fond memories of it myself. 

As for the discussion of smartphones. They're only 13 years old same as my son. I don't know how I survived without one. I  use it for everything electronically speaking. Only today my solicitor rang, (we're moving house). He needed a document. I said 'Stand by. He had it in his inbox before the phone conversation ended. 

Needless to say I'm using my phone right now to write this. I think this is science fiction sometimes.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 6

Well, I popped into the LMS for a couple of pots of paint at lunchtime and emerged with this:

50515860718_e2314ca5a7_c.jpg

This is entirely your fault Ced and I hope you're sorry. 

In fact, so pernicious is your influence that I'm even thinking of building them wheels up and using the included stand. What's wrong with me?

I was amused to see, on perusing the instructions, that Airfix have got around the problem of the Mig 17 having no nose to stick ballast in by including an oil drum to prop up the tail. Cunning!

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

Looking good, Buffers! I always thought the FRS.1 was by far the best-looking Harrier, being the pointiest.

Thanks PC! Pointy is always better :D

17 hours ago, noelh said:

Hmm, the P1127. That kit is so rare now. Fond memories of it myself. 

As for the discussion of smartphones. They're only 13 years old same as my son. I don't know how I survived without one. I  use it for everything electronically speaking. Only today my solicitor rang, (we're moving house). He needed a document. I said 'Stand by. He had it in his inbox before the phone conversation ended. 

Needless to say I'm using my phone right now to write this. I think this is science fiction sometimes.

I know, I'm very lucky to have Bill as a mate :)

I'm with you on the 'phones Noel - how did we cope… oh yeah, FiloFaxs - remember those?

Some things do improve, don't they?

56 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Well, I popped into the LMS for a couple of pots of paint at lunchtime and emerged with this:

[snip pic]

In fact, so pernicious is your influence that I'm even thinking of building them wheels up and using the included stand. What's wrong with me?

I was amused to see, on perusing the instructions, that Airfix have got around the problem of the Mig 17 having no nose to stick ballast in by including an oil drum to prop up the tail. Cunning!

Craig.

Craig I'm sorry :D 

I don't think you'll regret it though - nice kits.

OK, one for Johnny…

What's this?

50515731393_b35db4d5bb_z.jpg

A dead one of these:

50516445126_b58bed427a_z.jpg

Really impressed with the fit on this kit. I mean, look at the airbrakes:

50516942202_891786f01f_z.jpg

Hard to see eh?

We're away tomorrow for some oochie coochie coo so I'll be leaving them here:

50516943257_8734f88bd9_z.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

50515860718_e2314ca5a7_c.jpg

Craig.

Good choice Craig !!

Well done Ced !!

I also tend to prefer SHAR I but, whatever, I'll make a SHAR II too...

Can't wait to see some paints on it !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bloody brilliant catch up Ced. Those intake things eh . Who knew? I do love this place, every day’s a school day. 👨‍🎓🤩 Thanks for the joke too, you know I love it. 🤣

The jets are really coming together. Bravo indeed.

Good luck with the little bit.

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work so far.

BTW, do you plan to make a patented bomb the Fuerza Aerea Argentina had built and carried by the Skyhawks during the Falklands war? I think the front part was from a Korean-era American bomb (Mk.?) and the rear part was from a British WWII bomb. 

I think they had named it "La Bombola"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/10/2020 at 16:39, corsaircorp said:

Good choice Craig !!

Well done Ced !!

I also tend to prefer SHAR I but, whatever, I'll make a SHAR II too...

Can't wait to see some paints on it !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC :) I can't wait for the paint either! Soon, soon…

On 22/10/2020 at 16:46, Biggles87 said:

Aren't you a little old for oochie coochie coo?

:D Certainly am John. I'm afraid babies don't interest me much - helpless little beasts - but your own do warrant a bit more interest I guess.

On 23/10/2020 at 20:07, The Spadgent said:

Bloody brilliant catch up Ced. Those intake things eh . Who knew? I do love this place, every day’s a school day. 👨‍🎓🤩 Thanks for the joke too, you know I love it. 🤣

The jets are really coming together. Bravo indeed.

Good luck with the little bit.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) 

On 24/10/2020 at 18:06, Shalako said:

Nice work so far.

BTW, do you plan to make a patented bomb the Fuerza Aerea Argentina had built and carried by the Skyhawks during the Falklands war? I think the front part was from a Korean-era American bomb (Mk.?) and the rear part was from a British WWII bomb. 

I think they had named it "La Bombola"?

Thanks Shalako :) The kit comes with two wing tanks / bombs and one central one - we'll see what they're like. I had a quick Google but couldn't see many images but they look similar?

Back from the weekend with the new arrival:

50533186666_3a0e0639ac_z.jpg

The angle of the camera makes me look like a right 'Tefal head' - perhaps I should audition for the next Coneheads movie!

I'm not a great fan of babes but obviously this one is special to us.

He's very good too - no brain-splitting wails like our two had, just a gentle 'waah' when he needs attention.

Sleeping a lot too. Great stuff.

Any worries about how the Pup would take to him were foundless. Tilly is very careful and protective:

50533355287_4a758153c3_z.jpg

One of my favourite photos (and there are lots!)

Back to the modelling.

The instructions would have you glue the airbrake mount in first but the positioning is vague and the fit is tight so I found it better to glue the bits together:

50533174671_71df96c891_z.jpg

…and then sand the assembly to fit.

I've also painted the back of the cockpit interior colour after looking at the walk around:

50533336152_9e4dd91f2c_z.jpg

Not much will be seen under the back of the canopy anyway.

• Like 27

Great pictures Ced - the models are coming together nicely as well!

Just realised this is page 7 so two models means 3.5 pages each and paint is due so you must be back to your normal building rate!

Stay safe         Roger

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CedB said:

Tilly is very careful and protective:

50533355287_4a758153c3_z.jpg

"You come near my new little brother mister, and I'll 'ave you....!!"

Love the look on her face, protective indeed! Lovely pic Ced!

And yes, Shar is coming on well too, had almost forgotten about it...!! (& the Scooter!)

:)

K

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Ced,

great photos of the little 'un, he looks like a grand little fella. And you're obviously a very proud GP, as you have every right to be :)

Nice bit of progress on the builds, too!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1