Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, CedB said:

This morning I've spent too much time thinking about Apple's latest money magnet. Again.

I disciplined myself NOT to buy the iPhone 11 as my 'X' seems more than adequate.

There's me thinking I'm so glad I'm happy with my 12 & a half quid a month Motorola from Tesco, after all it makes phone calls (there's a thing!), sends texts and takes a pretty good piccie. And then you go and say....

1 hour ago, CedB said:

And (oooh, oooh) a LiDAR scanner!

....aargh, I want one....!!! I really can't be bothered with learning any more software these days, so if a phone actually had a good, useful LIDAR scanner that could import files to a 3D printer, then, well..... I WANT ONE!! (if it can't do that I'm still happy with my Motorola!)

Two nice little jets taking shape there Ced, coming along really well.

Keith

• Like 3

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I disciplined myself NOT to buy the iPhone 11 as my 'X' seems more than adequate.

I have a 7 and if I’m lucky might trade up. To an SE next year. But to be honest it’s my 6th iPhone and at the end of the day while they have gotten faster and added features and there’s always an initial feeling of coolness about a new device there really isn’t all that much difference between my trusty 3GS and my 7 ( ok processor, screen, sound, camera, etc etc are all better) but I suppose the bottom line is that while the iPhone 12 is definitely better than my 7 it’s not €1000 better to me. :)  Ramble over.

On a more serious note glad to hear the grandson is ok. It’s so worrying when they’re so sick at that age( or any age tbh) My daughter spent her first eight weeks in an icu so I can well empathise.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

The SHAR is looking good :) nice to see it can fit very snugly, I've heard complaints but you appear to breeze through!

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

so if a phone actually had a good, useful LIDAR scanner that could import files to a 3D printer, then, well.....

That would be great, however I'm a bit wary about going for a version1 - haven't heard or seen any apps for that purpose (yet). 
That said, who knows?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

My IPhone 7 is good enough for me, the screen's just big enough for me to read BM if I wear my reading glasses!

Agreed, reading specs are for my work's PC with a barely A4 sized screen...

Reading BM on my phone ??

Forget it !! 

I'll be back to the eye's doc on january.... That will be expensive methink !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 20/10/2020 at 12:14, AliGauld said:

Excellent progress on the build but more importantly great news on the wee fella.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair :)

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

There's me thinking I'm so glad I'm happy with my 12 & a half quid a month Motorola from Tesco, after all it makes phone calls (there's a thing!), sends texts and takes a pretty good piccie. And then you go and say....

....aargh, I want one....!!! I really can't be bothered with learning any more software these days, so if a phone actually had a good, useful LIDAR scanner that could import files to a 3D printer, then, well..... I WANT ONE!! (if it can't do that I'm still happy with my Motorola!)

Two nice little jets taking shape there Ced, coming along really well.

Keith

I know, I know… but my iPhone does loads for me other than calls and Flickr; diary, notes, SatNav (with CarPlay so safe), CCTV control etc etc…

And a couple of games - I'm addicted to Worms3 and play Solitaire too.

Sad man…

They are expensive though so I guess it counts, for me, as 'a treat'. I get those once a year. Probably.

21 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Congrats Ced !!

One more modeller is always a great thing !!

Now you've to build more kits to decorate the ceiling of baby's bedroom !!🧐

Sincerely.

CC

Quite right CC! At the moment he just eats, sleeps and, er, goes to the loo.

If I can get him modelling he'll be just like me!! :D 

20 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Great to hear the wee guy's out of the woods Ced. You're doing far too good a job of these, I can see a scooter in my immediate future!

Craig.

Thanks Craig :) It's a nice kit and a nice subject - go for it!

16 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Just a thought but they could make a rather spiffy mobile for over the cot.:whistle:

Good idea Alistair, but I bet the ladies would veto it! :) 

16 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have a 7 and if I’m lucky might trade up. To an SE next year. But to be honest it’s my 6th iPhone and at the end of the day while they have gotten faster and added features and there’s always an initial feeling of coolness about a new device there really isn’t all that much difference between my trusty 3GS and my 7 ( ok processor, screen, sound, camera, etc etc are all better) but I suppose the bottom line is that while the iPhone 12 is definitely better than my 7 it’s not €1000 better to me. :)  Ramble over.

On a more serious note glad to hear the grandson is ok. It’s so worrying when they’re so sick at that age( or any age tbh) My daughter spent her first eight weeks in an icu so I can well empathise.

I know what you mean about the phones Mark - more gigs, mips and other TLAs* but nothing to blow your skirt up.

The camera is just silly now TBH - professional video in a phone? Maybe a bit too far…

(* Three letter abbreviations)

I'm envious of your 3GS though - the last of the 'clamshell' models and soooo nice to feel - or is that just me?

Thanks for the empathy too - it's been a long time since I've worried, probably unnecessarily, about a helpless little body but it's not a good feeling :( 

They're going home today so fingers crossed we're over the worrying.

15 hours ago, alt-92 said:

The SHAR is looking good :) nice to see it can fit very snugly, I've heard complaints but you appear to breeze through!

That would be great, however I'm a bit wary about going for a version1 - haven't heard or seen any apps for that purpose (yet). 
That said, who knows?

Thanks alt - I can see why people have problems - it's a weird fit to be sure :) 

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

My IPhone 7 is good enough for me, the screen's just big enough for me to read BM if I wear my reading glasses!

Ah, well, going for the 'Max' is me giving up John… maybe a trip to the optician would be cheaper but we shall see (or not!) :D 

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Agreed, reading specs are for my work's PC with a barely A4 sized screen...

Reading BM on my phone ??

Forget it !! 

I'll be back to the eye's doc on january.... That will be expensive methink !!

CC

Indeed CC. I changed optician to the one my wife goes to and he's great, but the shop does designer frames…

They do employ nice young ladies to tempt you to spending £100s on 'style' but I've grown out of that to be honest.

I should go back for a check though, like you.

And then off to a cheaper shop!

The nozzles have been filled with thinned Humbrol and scraped:

50512660671_c8f9195960_z.jpg

I was a bit disappointed until I realised the filler was darker grey - they are smooth, honest!

Inserted and glued like this:

50511955223_fe965e051d_z.jpg

I hope that's right.

BIG gaps eh?

While looking for bits I noticed this:

50511956963_b61117ac6d_z.jpg

Now that most of the big parts are off 'Sprue C' is really wobbly and the only thing holding the centre in is the probe. 

Removed and put somewhere safe.

Next step:

50511965358_86412a29a9_z.jpg

I really don't like these choices where there's no guidance on WHY there's a choice.

I have no idea.

This:

50512844757_e52e8c3f58_z.jpg

… or this:

50511975408_aae5f222b5_z.jpg

…for a SHAR that's chasing a Scooter?

Answers please on a postcard to…

• Like 10

My vote is for the top version as I believe that the extra doors just drop open when on the ground or hover. I may br wrong though!

Really nice progress on these you are almost back up to normal speed.

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

The open ones are 'down on the ground'; on a parked a/c the louvre doors drop down (that's why the lower ones are in a closed position).

Best compare with an in-flight picture :)

• Thanks 2

'Auxiliary Air Intake Doors' add intake air where demand exceeds normal flow

Normal flow is in flightery

Excess demand is during hovering flight when 'the mighty flying 'oss' needs a bit more airflow

Chasing scooters the extra would not be normal I believe.

In other news:

Grey plastic or silver old style Hairfix placky?

I am not sure if I have transfers for them but rest assured it will not be hard to collect some together.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CedB said:

SHAR = Sea HARrier

Scooter = Skyhawk

(if that be a serious question....!!)

K

Edit - ignore me, I missed the first bit of the question.... :doh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Found a good piccy in the archives.

This is a stationary EAV-8A at Rota in 1990:

You can see the top aux inlet doors open, and the lower ones closed. 

y4mGGFT7z6UX_jHDHTTzN2gwmjd6Ofz0K4VImmR2

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Shalako said:

Was this the case for all types of Harrier or, just for the specific one?

Yes it applied to all of them. It used to irritate me that many kits had either them fully open or fully closed. It was very fiddly cutting open closed ones adding plastic card to depict a parked Harrier.

Airfix at least made an effort. They were only fully open at slow airspeeds and in the hover when there was insufficient airflow through the intake. It was automatic not pilot controlled.

On the ground the top ones flopped open. The middle ones were partially open or closed. The  bottom inlets were closed. Just from gravity.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Grey plastic or silver old style Hairfix placky?

I am not sure if I have transfers for them but rest assured it will not be hard to collect some together.

Decision taken off you Ced, you get the silver oldest style Aifix kit-in-a-bag

P1010064.jpg

It's all there but the decals may benefit from ultravioletting or scan and reprint

They are immensely old.

I get this one, I just re-found my next mojo basher

It is gorgeous

P1010062.jpg

The transfers need some application of "oohya!" so it will be fun

P1010063.jpg

A slight short-shot on the rudder but entirely sortable, looking forward to this next.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, CedB said:

I'm envious of your 3GS though - the last of the 'clamshell' models and soooo nice to feel - or is that just me?

The 3GS was a flat touch screen but the back was a bit more sculpted and it did fit in the hand well. But I do like my 7 ( it’s a black seven which also happens to be one of my favourite songs :) so I can and have played black 7 on my black 7)

Now mind, if money was no option I’d be ordering my 12 plus now, but as these things go I’ll probably get one in 2025 or thereabouts :) 

Modern neonatal care is pretty good. My daughter was born 8 weeks early and weighed 1022g (yes a well filled bag of sugar) and although she’s in the petite side she’s healthy and strong, holds a black belt( I’m only one belt behind btw) in Taekwando and has just finished her degree. 

Back to modelling I do have a 1/144 scale Harrier in the stash that I’m tempted to break out. Maybe cut the WIP down a bit more before I do, hmmm.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, noelh said:

It used to irritate me that many kits had either them fully open or fully closed. It was very fiddly cutting open closed ones adding plastic card to depict a parked Harrier.

You and me lad!!! That's why I've asked for the clarification. Those scale model companies:angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Shalako said:

Are you referring to exposing the decals to the sun for a few days or, to a UV lamp?

Possibly a few days, not a technique which I have tried but I have read of it doing the job.

Colour me unsure...

• Like 2