Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72

CedB

41 minutes ago, CedB said:

Repeat after me… let the tool do the work

I will; this is why I break so many scalpel blades, one of these days I’m going to injure myself because I don’t have the patience to swap for a razor saw or an xacto knife .

50372401361_c38334bb2b_c.jpg

And it’s not that I don’t have all the right tools :) ( Btw my workbench is almost never this tidy in real life )

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

I will; this is why I break so many scalpel blades, one of these days I’m going to injure myself because I don’t have the patience to swap for a razor saw or an xacto knife .

[snip pic]

And it’s not that I don’t have all the right tools :) ( Btw my workbench is almost never this tidy in real life )

Nice bench Mark! Mine looks as tidy as that, sometimes :D 

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Excellent progress, and excellent news from the newborn and his mum :clap: :thumbsup:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio :) 

1 hour ago, hendie said:

ah, the mojo is back. All hail the mojo!  

good to see you back at the bench and in the mood Ced                        (there! I cued one up for you too!)

Thanks hendie and thanks for the setup - fnaar!! :D 

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

So being a Grandad has restarted your mojo!

Congratulations.

John

Thanks John :) That may be it!

As it's been a while since I did any filling, I've forgotten what my favourite is for which jobs:

50497113948_33a8eaa03f_z.jpg

Not 'Liquid Green Stuff' then (YMMV). Mine is no longer liquid. In the bin then.

How about sprue soup?

50497985862_22dac14a25_z.jpg

Maybe, especially for the deeper seams.

I think I was using Humbrol, sometimes thinned.

Oh and, of course, PPP / Vallejo for wings roots and stuff.

I think…

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

Not 'Liquid Green Stuff' then (YMMV). Mine is no longer liquid. In the bin then.

You can revive it my mixing in some water.

Oh and I found a method in one of the threads here of using mig gun metal pigment mixed with CA which I’m going to use in my next project needing filler. Hmm probably the nacelles on the HP.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I stopped using ‘ Green Stuff ‘about 30 years ago, I could never get a satisfactory finish with it, probably my fault. There wasn’t a liquid version in those days, perhaps the formula has changed since then.

It can be a bit grainy all right. They’ve definitely changed the formulation over the years but it looks as if they don’t make it anymore. Likewise Tamiya putty is also gone. (As soon as I heard this I bought three tubes which should last a few years.

These days I use my last tube of green stuff,liquid green stuff,  Tamiya putty, milliput, perfect plastic putty, Vallejo filler or CA as the mood takes me tbh none of them are entirely satisfactory for every job but needs must.

Which us why I’m going to try the pigment and CA method.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad you found your pinged bit. It’s always a pain when that happens. A “ping” then a noise from somewhere across the room. 😩😮

You got it though so that’s all that matters. sorry about Clive Dunn , couldn’t resist. 🤪

Nice to hear all is going well with the fam and that you’re up to your old tricks again. 🙌 (enjoying ze kits) 🤩

Johnny

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2020 at 16:01, Marklo said:

You can revive it my mixing in some water.

Oh and I found a method in one of the threads here of using mig gun metal pigment mixed with CA which I’m going to use in my next project needing filler. Hmm probably the nacelles on the HP.

Thanks Mark, but… :) 

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I stopped using ‘ Green Stuff ‘about 30 years ago, I could never get a satisfactory finish with it, probably my fault. There wasn’t a liquid version in those days, perhaps the formula has changed since then.

John

Me neither John - shrinks far to much for my liking :) 

I think I'll go back to Humbrol.

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Glad you found your pinged bit. It’s always a pain when that happens. A “ping” then a noise from somewhere across the room. 😩😮

You got it though so that’s all that matters. sorry about Clive Dunn , couldn’t resist. 🤪

Nice to hear all is going well with the fam and that you’re up to your old tricks again. 🙌 (enjoying ze kits) 🤩

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) 

Don't more about the grandad clip, honest, what's Dunn is Dunn :D 

Sanding. Boring. I did get the Skyhawk wings glued though:

50501263163_c33dd6353a_z.jpg

Very impressive fit, if all the gate residue is removed.

• Like 19

Thanks Giorgio and Roger :) 

A bit more done today.

The SHAR wings are similar in fit to the Skyhawk, except this one has ejector marks:

50504535713_c3565e8cfd_z.jpg

Soon removed with the #9 - you can see it in the background.

Here you can see how the lower wing part fits inside the upper:

50507503552_058c3992c1_z.jpg

As long as you remove all the gate residue - typical new Airfix. Nice.

The wing fit was tricky but, with some fiddling and wiggling, it suddenly 'clicked' into place:

50507341756_fb4416a6c9_z.jpg

As we all know, if/when that happens, GLUE IT!

Two models coming along:

50506627128_18dedb1750_z.jpg

• Like 24

I love it when that click happens, looking very decent Ced.

Proper job.

Er the lad?

Is he doing OK?

And out of any protecting boxes?

We the fairly godfathers (and g-mothers) need to know...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nice fit on those Sea Harrier wings, overall! :thumbsup: The Airfix GR9a I did a while ago was definitely not like that..... :wall:

Ciao

The fit was weird and I though, like the Skyhawk, you needed to slide it in from the back but no, it was just brute force and ignorance!

34 minutes ago, perdu said:

I love it when that click happens, looking very decent Ced.

Proper job.

Er the lad?

Is he doing OK?

And out of any protecting boxes?

We the fairly godfathers (and g-mothers) need to know...

Thanks Bill, very kind :) 

Otto James Scrimgeour* Jones is now getting on fine and his infection (whatever it was) has responded to antibiotics. He wasn't in a box, thanks goodness, but worrying nevertheless.

(* Family name - all the males have it in son-in-law's line)

He's now feeding, sleeping and the other stuff (ugh) well and they hope to be out on Thursday. 

Mum is also getting some sleep and feeling much better too.

We're hoping to visit them at home at the weekend, fingers crossed.

Hopefully then I can get a photo that I'd be happy to share where he's not looking like a grumpy old man…

Back to models.

I've been thinking about hanging the models and I'd like a Harrier, u/c down and hovering.

This one has to be chasing the Scooter, obviously, so maybe I'll get another, one day.

Had a quick look at a P1127 kit but they're rare. Hmmm.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

The fit was weird and I though, like the Skyhawk, you needed to slide it in from the back but no, it was just brute force and ignorance!

Thanks Bill, very kind :) 

Otto James Scrimgeour* Jones is now getting on fine and his infection (whatever it was) has responded to antibiotics. He wasn't in a box, thanks goodness, but worrying nevertheless.

(* Family name - all the males have it in son-in-law's line)

He's now feeding, sleeping and the other stuff (ugh) well and they hope to be out on Thursday. 

Mum is also getting some sleep and feeling much better too.

We're hoping to visit them at home at the weekend, fingers crossed.

Hopefully then I can get a photo that I'd be happy to share where he's not looking like a grumpy old man…

Back to models.

I've been thinking about hanging the models and I'd like a Harrier, u/c down and hovering.

This one has to be chasing the Scooter, obviously, so maybe I'll get another, one day.

Had a quick look at a P1127 kit but they're rare. Hmmm.

I might, just might have more than one of those.

I shall investigate...

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2020 at 16:03, CedB said:

Not much done in the last day or so as we've been waiting for the first Grandchild to be born.

Arrived this morning, Otto Jones. 

Full specs to follow.

Just caught up with the good news, congrats to all involved!

glad to hear initial problems resolved, and I'm sure photos will soon follow. 

• Thanks 1

I’m all caught up now!

great work grandpa Ced, congratulations! Hope they are all doing well, 8.8 is a good healthy size! My best to you all.

not sure how I missed this but will be tagging along if I may.

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Otto James Scrimgeour* Jones

What a marvelous name! Glad the little 'un is doing well now. :)

If Bill doesn't have an 1127, I can recommend the new Airfix GR1/3 kit as being a nice build (OK the GR3 fin is slightly short, but I doubt that would be noticeable up on the ceiling. And if it did bother you Freightdog do a replacement)

Keith

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mark, John, Finbarr Craig (titter), Rob and Simon for the kind wishes :) 

updates this morning are, shall we say, a little lavatorial so I'll keep them to myself.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I might, just might have more than one of those.

I shall investigate...

Bill you are a very, very kind man and I feel guilty, then happy, then guilty to think of you donating another kit for me to massacre.

More happy than guilty though, it has to be said :D 

33 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What a marvelous name! Glad the little 'un is doing well now. :)

If Bill doesn't have an 1127, I can recommend the new Airfix GR1/3 kit as being a nice build (OK the GR3 fin is slightly short, but I doubt that would be noticeable up on the ceiling. And if it did bother you Freightdog do a replacement)

Keith

Thanks Keith - noted! :) 

This morning I've spent too much time thinking about Apple's latest money magnet. Again.

I disciplined myself NOT to buy the iPhone 11 as my 'X' seems more than adequate. Mostly.

But now… 5G (if you have it in your area and your network)? I don't go out much nowadays it has to be said, but I do go to the daughters using Waze to guide me.

Sky are tempting me with a 'VIP deal' on a cheap SIM deal but there's no coverage in my area yet (they use O2).

I'd sell it cheap if there was no coverage…

Camera is better, obviously.

I'm thinking of a Pro Max so my Kindle is bigger - poor old eyes would benefit.

In comparison to my current X (which Mrs B will inherit) it has an extra 'Ultra Wide' lens.

5x optical zoom rather than 2x. Better aperture so better for those revealing close ups (careful!)

And (oooh, oooh) a LiDAR scanner! I think that might let me scan things for 3D printing (if I had a printer).

And scan the rooms so that I can do the long-planned house book.

Same ppi on the screen (hmmm) but more nits. Can't beat nits IMHO.

It's obviously a reward for me too. Now I just need to decide who to buy it from and which deal to go for… groan…

Anyway, the Harrier got some more attention too.

I was a bit paranoid about cutting these off and getting them mixed up:

50509222802_33bb0af2ba_z.jpg

…but, as it happened, they are quite different:

50509244007_795ba74728_z.jpg

Spent ages getting the halves lined up but those will still need some filler I think.

The tailplanes worried me because of the angle of the dangle but 'new Airfix' made it easy, again.

Looking a lot more like a SHAR now:

50508393898_dd0e1c91b6_z.jpg

• Like 12