Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72

CedB

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Arrived this morning, Otto Jones. 

Full specs to follow.

Congrats !  So, back to the beach and building sandcastles again in a few years, eh? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ced,

firstly, many, many congratulations on your new arrival! Looking forward to hearing the full specs and seeing a photo :)

My fiancee's eldest daughter is expecting, due early next April, so I'm looking forward to being a step-granddad! My own three are still little (13, 12 and 8), as I was a bit of a late starter.

And as requested, and for @keefr22, here are a couple of shots of the TC.

First, my late Dad hillclimbing his beloved 'Gee at Longleat, September 1995:

http://TC0001a.jpg

And me hillclimbing at Wiscombe near Honiton, around 2003:

http://MGCC-Wiscombe-Hill-Climb-2002-001.jpg

Here's how she looked in 1964, with a previous owner:

http://MG-TC-corrected.jpg

And at Porlock Weir in West Somerset, one evening a few years ago when I fancied a run out by myself and a pint by the sea:

http://1000059-478611012217605-1573508996-n.jpg

Dad bought her, named Giselle, in October 1968! She was black from the Factory, and Dad did a full resto in the early '70s through into the '80s, changing the colour to Damask Red. Dad's been gone these twenty years, and Giselle's really in need of a new coat of paint and some new upholstery. So I've got a bit of work to do.....

@keefr22 - I know exactly what you mean - I had a Mini some years ago, it had bucket seats. I'm not "wide", but good grief it was difficult to get into!!!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

but good grief it was difficult to get into!!!

And yesterday, once in it was even worse trying to get out....!! (Full cage, door bars, completely unfit 63 year old....!!)

Lovely pics of the MG Mark, what a gorgeous little car! I really miss going hillclimbing, great way to spend a weekend isn't it? :) (my avatar was my last run on the Epynt hillclimb in 2016 -- my son then broke the car on his last run and although we've fixed it she's been in the garage ever since..)

Keith

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And yesterday, once in it was even worse trying to get out....!! (Full cage, door bars, completely unfit 63 year old....!!)

Lovely pics of the MG Mark, what a gorgeous little car! I really miss going hillclimbing, great way to spend a weekend isn't it? :) (my avatar was my last run on the Epynt hillclimb in 2016 -- my son then broke the car on his last run and although we've fixed it she's been in the garage ever since..)

Keith

Thanks, Keith, that's very kind of you! The TC really does need her paintwork sorting out, but she runs beautifully, and with a Shorrock supercharger, she's no slouch even for a 75-year-old!

I loved hill-climbing, although I never went far afield - Longleat, Wiscombe and Finlake Park (Chudleigh, Devon).

My Mini had a full cage, too, and although I was mid-forties when I owned it, it was still a task getting in and out! Hope you get yours out on the road soon!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Thanks to Heather, Craig, Bill, Roger, Keith, Giorgio, alt-92, Dennis (drum kit? argghhh!), Mark, Alistair, Terry, Simon and Tony for the congratulations!

Understandably we're a bit short on information at the moment and no nice pictures that can be shared but we do have an 8.8lb Otto! More later when they're home and settled.

Thanks all :) 

14 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

And at Porlock Weir in West Somerset, one evening a few years ago when I fancied a run out by myself and a pint by the sea:

http://1000059-478611012217605-1573508996-n.jpg

Dad bought her, named Giselle, in October 1968! She was black from the Factory, and Dad did a full resto in the early '70s through into the '80s, changing the colour to Damask Red. Dad's been gone these twenty years, and Giselle's really in need of a new coat of paint and some new upholstery. So I've got a bit of work to do.....

@keefr22 - I know exactly what you mean - I had a Mini some years ago, it had bucket seats. I'm not "wide", but good grief it was difficult to get into!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark - that shot is a beauty and makes me quite envious. Gorgeous car and, with her history, a great thing to have :) 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

* Resists urge to post youtube of “Grandad we love you” . 🤪 

Simply wonderful news. That combined with the well detailed office and some bendy pilots, we’re away. 🤩😍

ps. 

*Clive made me do it. X

Johnny you're a scamp! :D That said I do have some flat caps somewhere…

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Congratulations @CedB Does that mean modelling is temporarily suspended?

Thanks Mark :) Managed to sneak some in…

I've AK'd the turbine:

50493876462_b7ac01b608_z.jpg

…although I'm not sure it's going to be seen much:

50493719201_5c692e40a6_z.jpg

I want to get that fit right and it's tricky. If it's not 'right' the fuselage join is going to be a pain.

Backgammon now but maybe some more later.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Mark - that shot is a beauty and makes me quite envious. Gorgeous car and, with her history, a great thing to have :) 

Thanks, Ced :)

Porlock Weir s a fabulous spot that I've known all my life, and which I do miss very, very much (along with the rest of the Somerset coastline from Kilve westward - just don't tell my better half!) now that I'm living in Derbyshire. The Ship Inn there served a great pint and excellent food, too!

I grew up with the TC, my Mum and Dad toured Cornwall in her while on their honeymoon!

• Like 2

Congratulations to the Ced family, hello Otto!

Ced, you're gonna be a brilliant Grandad.............

All the best

Geoff

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Ced :)

Porlock Weir s a fabulous spot that I've known all my life, and which I do miss very, very much (along with the rest of the Somerset coastline from Kilve westward - just don't tell my better half!) now that I'm living in Derbyshire. The Ship Inn there served a great pint and excellent food, too!

I grew up with the TC, my Mum and Dad toured Cornwall in her while on their honeymoon!

Thanks Mark - worth a visit then, when the current situation changes :) 

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Congrats GrandCed! (Why does that sound like something out of the Goodies' Ecky Thump?)

Great progress on the models too!

Ian

Thanks Ian - ey oop! :D

2 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Congratulations to the Ced family, hello Otto!

Ced, you're gonna be a brilliant Grandad.............

All the best

Geoff

Awww thanks Geoff, very kind :) 

Otto apparently has an infection so it looks as though they'll be staying in for a while. Bit worrying.

I did though wiggle the SHAR fuselage halves together:

50494695631_94643b0112_z.jpg

…and turned my attention to the Skyhawk.

Nasty bobbles on the inside of the intakes:

50494013188_6929725e74_z.jpg

…needed removal before the splitter would go in. Then part 1A was removed from the tree:

50494749126_46c3ba60bd_z.jpg

…and promptly pinged off into the ether. I've had a quick look around but no joy.

I'll need to clear the bench later.

Rats.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Ouch that’s going to be awkward to scratch a replacement. 

Happens to the best of us. Of course you’ll find it once you’ve replaced it. Happened to me only this week wit a section of rotor blade on my hind. Just as I finished painting the replacement, the original turned up.  I also had to scratch two missing hatches on my M3 now they haven’t turned up yet.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

worth a visit then, when the current situation changes

Absolutely! It's a beautiful area :) not that I'm biased, of course!

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

Otto apparently has an infection so it looks as though they'll be staying in for a while. Bit worrying.

Hope everything is fine with little Otto - sending all our good thoughts and wishes.

The SHAR and Skyhawk are coming along nicely!

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

belated congrats Ced.  

4 hours ago, CedB said:

…and promptly pinged off into the ether. I've had a quick look around but no joy.

hendie's helpful tip for the day: Ced, start looking in the last place you'd look and that's where it is

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, CedB said:

and promptly pinged off into the ether.

Weirdest one Ive ever had was moving models from point A to B lost a canopy and couldnt find it. Several days went by and when loading the car with groceries found it in the rubber grid on the back bumper of my Jeep. How it stayed there for the 100+ miles of highway driving between losing it and finding I will never know ? 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Look up on top of the Sunderland, what other reason is there for hanging it up there except to act as 'lost pieces magnet'?

A bit of an infection, not surprising when you consider their journey here.

Both my grandkids has a short period riding inside the illuminated plastic box.

Did neither of them any harm granddad, its all about making us more careful.

"get well soon little Otto"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

Ouch that’s going to be awkward to scratch a replacement. 

Happens to the best of us. Of course you’ll find it once you’ve replaced it. Happened to me only this week wit a section of rotor blade on my hind. Just as I finished painting the replacement, the original turned up.  I also had to scratch two missing hatches on my M3 now they haven’t turned up yet.

My fault Mark - I was pressing too hard on the Ninja saw :( 

Repeat after me… let the tool do the work!

17 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Absolutely! It's a beautiful area :) not that I'm biased, of course!

Hope everything is fine with little Otto - sending all our good thoughts and wishes.

The SHAR and Skyhawk are coming along nicely!

Mark

Thanks Mark :) I'll put that area of the coast on the list!

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Also congrats from me here too. I was away for a week and have to read a bit now, before I can write something meaningful.

[snip pics]

Cheers

Thanks Ben - great Grandad shots! Can't wait to get painted :D 

13 hours ago, hendie said:

belated congrats Ced.  

hendie's helpful tip for the day: Ced, start looking in the last place you'd look and that's where it is

Thanks hendie - you were absolutely right! Found it behind the desk - it had pinged further than I thought! :D 

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Weirdest one Ive ever had was moving models from point A to B lost a canopy and couldnt find it. Several days went by and when loading the car with groceries found it in the rubber grid on the back bumper of my Jeep. How it stayed there for the 100+ miles of highway driving between losing it and finding I will never know ? 

That is weird Dennis - well travelled eh? :) 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Look up on top of the Sunderland, what other reason is there for hanging it up there except to act as 'lost pieces magnet'?

A bit of an infection, not surprising when you consider their journey here.

Both my grandkids has a short period riding inside the illuminated plastic box.

Did neither of them any harm granddad, its all about making us more careful.

"get well soon little Otto"

:D

Thanks Bill - I'm sure he'll be fine…

36 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I am sure the Granddad can make one, let`s face it, not much will be seen once up on the ceiling.

Sorry to hear about the little Otto probs.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

Full Otto details at last. Born by C-section at 10:44 on 15th, 8lb 8ozs.

Mum and baby doing well although tired!

Thanks again to everyone for the kind wishes.

Back to the modelling.

Having found the missing turbine I could AK the blades and pipes:

50495095888_e5b77e97fe_z.jpg

…although not much will be seen:

50495959637_e40dddc010_z.jpg

The pipe didn't fit to the turbine very well:

50495807161_b859b01b40_z.jpg

… 'cos there's a lump in the part:

50495102568_d9e0404104_z.jpg

Aha! First chance to use the micro-chisels!

First thing I learned was don't open it this way or all the bits fall out:

50495809866_6af6e690d7_z.jpg

Soon removed the lump:

50495110088_cc782b9656_z.jpg

I'm really pleased with that because so much can be seen down the exhaust:

50495819316_281ab0a486_z.jpg

Not.

Next job was to fit the intake parts which I think have got transposed in the instructions. They're a really tight fit:

50495825181_5cfe792c44_z.jpg

… and I found the only way to get them in was to insert them from an angle and shove:

50495123043_9f8d0e8723_z.jpg

The internals could then be fitted:

50495132898_da084fd0ff_z.jpg

…and the fuselage closed up:

50495852781_9fdf781460_z.jpg

Needed some clamps.

Of course.

• Like 14