Jump to content

Falklands Dogfight Double - Airfix 1/72


Recommended Posts

Yrrnngghhhh. That's the level of my mojo at the moment.

My last WiP of three Hurricanes took over TWO MONTHS - I'd normally have completed at least three builds in that time and three-at-a-time doesn't count, not in my mind anyway.

 

I looked through the stash to find something that wouldn't make me too guilty if the mojo drought messed it up and might give me some 'mojo exercise'. Tricky.

The only likely candidate was this:

 

50431538813_d9c874e04b_z.jpg

 

Bought in a panic when I read somewhere that it had been withdrawn.

I tried to find out from Scalemates how old the kits are but got bored… they both look like new tools so should be challenging enough.

I'll take some pictures of the part trees later.

  • Like 29
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CedB said:

tried to find out from Scalemates how old the kits are

 

Pretty sure the A-4 is the new generation Airfix, the SHAR is older but still a relatively new mould. I've got the Scooter more or less built and don't recall any major issues with it.

 

K

 

Edit - Scalemates suggest the Shar was a new tool in 2010 and the Skyhawk in 2012 - doesn't time fly, I thought the Skyhawk was about 3 years old!! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh, looking forward to this! I'm glad you went for this rather than the Belvedere, I was worried it might be a bit overwhelming for you in your current mojo-deprived state. Are you going to do the build using only the paint, glue and brushes that come in the box for an extra challenge?

 

Craig.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going to stick with the kit schemes ? There are some really nice schemes for the Skyhawks try looking up Indonesian airforce. I have one in the stash and I’ll probably go that way or one of the aggressor schemes.

 

50435341693_f221c2a1cb_c.jpg

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Room for one more socially distanced of course!

This looks to be an interesting project Ced hopefully these will reignite your mojo!

 

      Stay safe           Roger

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am always going to be lurking round a non_brownandgreen Ced build, especially one with anarrier innit, innit.

 

Ced can you hustle the barman, he thinks Scotsrules rule here.

 

And it's not even official in Nippieland yet.

 

I will try another Chimay, it seems my palate needs eddicating.

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose, being socially distanced by a mere 14,000 miles, I'm safe for a long range lurk into a very welcome Ced-build, suppose i'll have to get my own drinks 'n' chips though. Too far away for @CC's chimay........[why didn't that notification work ?...oh well...

 

I hope I sensed a return ing of the mojo - I noticed a ripe "fnaaar" towards the end of the Hurricane trio build, albeit with some prompting.........

 

Also hope that your build,@Ced, will contain much of the jolly banter which make your builds so enjoyable and put a grin on this gnarly bemasked phizog. 

 

Looking forward to the start.

Rog 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ooh, front row (at the bar of course!) Looks like an interesting diversion Ced, I'll keep an eye on things from here.

 

Ian

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon me, I'll just sneak in at the back here.....

 

Rather smaller than the B36 that I've just been admiring, at least you'll have space on the ceiling for these..

 

All the best

 

Geoff

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have one in the stash and I’ll probably go that way or one of the aggressor schemes.

 

50435341693_f221c2a1cb_c.jpg

 

Those be E's rather than B's (P's) though..... :)

 

And I bet Ced's ceiling will soon be adorned with a SHAR chasing an Argentinian Scooter round the room....!!

 

K

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome everyone! Good to see you :D 

 

 

 

On 08/10/2020 at 09:37, keefr22 said:

Woohoo, first here!

 

Nice choice Ced, hope these revitalise the mojo somewhat!

 

Keith

Thanks Keith - I hope so too! :) 

On 08/10/2020 at 09:41, keefr22 said:

 

Pretty sure the A-4 is the new generation Airfix, the SHAR is older but still a relatively new mould. I've got the Scooter more or less built and don't recall any major issues with it.

 

K

 

Edit - Scalemates suggest the Shar was a new tool in 2010 and the Skyhawk in 2012 - doesn't time fly, I thought the Skyhawk was about 3 years old!! 

Oooh, good news! 

I have taken 16 photos of stuff this morning but Flickr is down.

Just my luck.

Get some mojo and then something squashes it!

I'm refreshing the 'Bad, bad Panda' screen as I post so fingers crossed…

On 08/10/2020 at 10:25, Dandie Dinmont said:

Ooh, looking forward to this! I'm glad you went for this rather than the Belvedere, I was worried it might be a bit overwhelming for you in your current mojo-deprived state. Are you going to do the build using only the paint, glue and brushes that come in the box for an extra challenge?

 

Craig.

You're right Craig - I'm not sure of doing Adrian's kind donation justice at the moment.

Build using the bits in the box?

Now there's a challenge!

I'm not sure the glue and brushes are up to my current (low) standards but paint?

Challenge accepted!

On 08/10/2020 at 10:40, Marklo said:

Are you going to stick with the kit schemes ? There are some really nice schemes for the Skyhawks try looking up Indonesian airforce. I have one in the stash and I’ll probably go that way or one of the aggressor schemes.

 

50435341693_f221c2a1cb_c.jpg

Yep, sorry Mark, OOB for these :) 

On 08/10/2020 at 10:43, Hamden said:

 

Room for one more socially distanced of course!

This looks to be an interesting project Ced hopefully these will reignite your mojo!

 

      Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger - I could do with some igniting, it's true! :D 

On 08/10/2020 at 10:50, perdu said:

I am always going to be lurking round a non_brownandgreen Ced build, especially one with anarrier innit, innit.

 

Ced can you hustle the barman, he thinks Scotsrules rule here.

 

And it's not even official in Nippieland yet.

 

I will try another Chimay, it seems my palate needs eddicating.

Welcome Bill! Barman, what's a barman? I have a faint memory…

Pleased to have you here, although I will warn you the Scooter is a bit brown and green :) 

On 08/10/2020 at 11:14, roginoz said:

I suppose, being socially distanced by a mere 14,000 miles, I'm safe for a long range lurk into a very welcome Ced-build, suppose i'll have to get my own drinks 'n' chips though. Too far away for @CC's chimay........[why didn't that notification work ?...oh well...

 

I hope I sensed a return ing of the mojo - I noticed a ripe "fnaaar" towards the end of the Hurricane trio build, albeit with some prompting.........

 

Also hope that your build,@Ced, will contain much of the jolly banter which make your builds so enjoyable and put a grin on this gnarly bemasked phizog. 

 

Looking forward to the start.

Rog 

Very kind Rog - some mojo back being squashed by Flickr at the moment, damn it.

Hopefully, when I can post some photos, I'll also be able to sneak in a few double-entendres too…

22 hours ago, Brandy said:

ooh, front row (at the bar of course!) Looks like an interesting diversion Ced, I'll keep an eye on things from here.

 

Ian

Not my usual WWII Europe theme Ian so a nice change, hopefully :) 

22 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Only socially distanced by about 1,000km but that’ll have to do, I’m in.

 

John

Good to see you John :) 

22 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm in, of course :) Two jets, uh? This is gonna be fun .... :popcorn:

 

Ciao

Yes! And the molding detail already has me thinking 'I need some Giorgio washes on those' - see, I do learn, sometimes! 

I just may not remember :) 

22 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Hi there,

Good choice of kits that man.

Hopefully it's something nice and simple and relaxing.

It's supposed to be fun.

 

Enjoy it.

 

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - Fun? Ah yes, I remember fun! (Basil Fawlty lives in us all…) :D 

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ah good still a first page seat on a Ced build. 

Welcome Dennis! Beer at the bar :) 

18 hours ago, hendie said:

Ced, throw some more logs on the fire please. Weather's getting a bit chiller

Will do hendie - heating's on! :) 

 

 

(Flickr just showed me my Camera roll, without the new pics, then died again. I bet the techies have been trying 'that new update'… Get a grip chaps)

 

17 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Pardon me, I'll just sneak in at the back here.....

 

Rather smaller than the B36 that I've just been admiring, at least you'll have space on the ceiling for these..

 

All the best

 

Geoff

Welcome Geoff :) 

Yep, everything's smaller than the B36. I'm surprised it's still hanging to be honest.

 

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

Those be E's rather than B's (P's) though..... :)

 

And I bet Ced's ceiling will soon be adorned with a SHAR chasing an Argentinian Scooter round the room....!!

 

K

Yes!

I had considered having one of the Sidewinders 'in flight' but then realised, to keep the scale, I'd need to ask the neighbour if it was OK to knock a hole in the wall…

 

 

Well, Flickr's still down and my iPhone still says 'Uploadr working…' which it patently isn't.

Let's hope their tech support is better than their spelling.

Later chaps.

Hopefully.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CedB said:

sorry Mark, OOB for these

Each to their own @CedB; I like a nice Oob build every once in a while. Mine will be probably be a grey aggressor ( when I get to it; might slip it in to my 1/72 clear out after the TA 154 is done)

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CedB said:

 

Good choice Mark. I quite like the Skyhawk to be honest, nice lines. :) 

 

Me too and I’ve built many in the past, but as I used to brush paint I never felt I did justice to the paint schemes. Of course now that I’m airbrushing that isn’t an issue. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Me too and I’ve built many in the past, but as I used to brush paint I never felt I did justice to the paint schemes. Of course now that I’m airbrushing that isn’t an issue. 

Oh dear Mark, what will I do now I've accepted Craig's challenge? We shall see :shutup:

 

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm in for this one. Not followed a Ced build for a bit, and look, page 1!

 

Terry

Welcome Terry :) Didn't you follow the Hurricanes? Probably wise…

 

 

Anyway, Flickr appears to be back up.

I guess 'the man who knows' got into work and fixed it. Again.

Now I just need to remember why I took the photos this morning…

 

Ah, easy, transfers:

 

50440785708_8b6afe9923_z.jpg

 

Uh oh, yellow bits.

could paint those of course but a ) yellow is a pig to paint and b ) there's a thin bendy bit. Transfers it is. Maybe over white.

 

Now I realise that the Uploadr (sic) has jumbled the shots. Rats (and then some). 

SHAR part trees:

 

OH GOOD GRIEF IT'S GONE DOWN AGAIN!

Cue Victor Meldrew…

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Victor Bill :D 

 

Well, I was downstairs on the iPad and the site seemed to be back up so I came up to the man cave and… it's down again :( 

 

I can see the photos on my mobile devices. Weird.

Maybe I should do a 'trailer'?

 

Coming soon to a browser near you…

Pictures of part trees.

The hunt for little paint pots.

Pilots to the fore.

Seats - yes, they're glued!

 

Don't miss next time's exciting episode…

  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that all photo sharing sites have minor glitches from time to time.

 

Even my favourite Postimg has its offdays, but in their favour they don't try to get away with blaming poor little pandas.

 

Beastly beastists

.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...