Model Master Discontinued

USAJustin

So I found out my go to enamel paint for Modern US subjects, Model Master, is being discontinued. Any suggestions on a paint brand I should try that’s accurate for modern US aircraft? MRP? AK? Hataka? Gunze? 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Well im working most with Gunze, Tamiya and MRP, highly recommended.

I’ve used Gunze quite a bit for luftwaffe and IJN/IJA colors. They’re quite good, I’ll have to pick up some for my modern US jets. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you wish to stick with enamels, there's Humbrol, Colourcoats, and True North. The latter is manufactured in Maine, and it is an alkyd enamel like Model Master. And Revell is bringing its enamel paints to the US.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Well, that is lousy news indeed, in a year that's been chockfull of them. Model Master were my go-to enamel paints as they worked well with my Badger 150 airbrush, and I found the enamels dried quickly (especially the flat versions) and covered well. Knowing this was coming, I've been stocking up on my favourite colours for a year or so, but it looks like that may soon become impossible. Time to try other paints, I suppose, but I will not go to water-based acrylics - I've found that they are death to my airbrush, and I'm not going to spend the rest of my life breaking down my airbrush and completely cleaning it every time I airbrush!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Well, that is lousy news indeed, in a year that's been chockfull of them. Model Master were my go-to enamel paints as they worked well with my Badger 150 airbrush, and I found the enamels dried quickly (especially the flat versions) and covered well. Knowing this was coming, I've been stocking up on my favourite colours for a year or so, but it looks like that may soon become impossible. Time to try other paints, I suppose, but I will not go to water-based acrylics - I've found that they are death to my airbrush, and I'm not going to spend the rest of my life breaking down my airbrush and completely cleaning it every time I airbrush!

Regards,

Jason

The discontinuance of Model Master has been known and talked about on various modeling forums for several months now. It's not exactly a very recent development. But there are some very good alternatives if you, like I, wish to stick with enamels. See my previous post.

• Like 1

Yes, I did, Michael - I shall have to check those out. Thank you! I've known about this for some time also, which is why I've been stocking up on those MM paints I use and can find, but I suppose I will need to look for alternatives. Just now, I've loaded up another virtual 'checkout cart' to buy up some more MM paints, whilst I still can. However, I will try out the alternatives, to see which ones work best with my airbrush.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Currently I'm getting away from my acrylics like Vallejo and Ammo by MiG for much the same reason Jason @Learstang says, im tired of completely breaking down my Airbrush everytime I switch to Tamiya, Hataka, or Mr.Color Lacquers. So Im switching to Lacquers only until I can get something better, hopefully enamels. I still have months worth of acrylics but they're getting dusty as Im tired of the headaches. I use them for brushing and small bits now. 

• Like 1

That's exactly what I use my acrylics for - small brush-painting, like cockpits or other fiddley bits. Then, I like using them, but not for airbrushing.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had read of the "True North paints" but, had not seen a site for them, thank you! There is also "Tru Color Paint"  at https://trucolorpaint.com which also has listings for aircraft, military vehicles, ships, and trains(the owners started by offering train colors for model railroading). HTH

Joe

I said "North Star" when I meant "True North." Duh. My previous post has been corrected.

Tru-Color has received some very good reviews as well. It's acetone based, however, and that may make them too smelly for many users.

• 2 weeks later...

Enamels usually do require ventilation when using them. That is the downside. So do lacquers such as "Flo Quil"(I believe the rail road colors still exist; though I might be incorrect)and others.

8 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Enamels usually do require ventilation when using them. That is the downside. So do lacquers such as "Flo Quil"(I believe the rail road colors still exist; though I might be incorrect)and others.

Floquil was re-formulated as an enamel some years ago, but it has been discontinued along with Model Master.

Thanks for letting me know. i knew that Floquil's and PollyS' military line of paints had been dropped when Testors bought them back in the '70s-'80s, but, wasn't sure of the train colors. I believe that the PollyS train colors are what are sold now.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jan.2021 issue of "FineScale modeler has an ad stating that the Revell line of paints(enamel and acrylics) will be sold in the USA. In their "Workbench Reviews" section the editors mention two new lines of paints. One is from "Splash Paints", the other is from Model Car World. https://www.splash-paints.com is the address. https://mcwfinishes.com is the address for Model Car world. MCW is offering paints for the WW2 Luftwaffe, RAF, etc. It is small, but, they are offering paints for a number of aviation and military vehicles of several countries. Model master may be gone; but, several companies are looking to offer excellent lines of paint for aircraft, vehicles, and ships. HTH

Joe