1:48 RAAF P39F Bell Airacobra

Dunny

Do you see my friend ??

Britmodellonie's magic operated once again !!

Now, I think that you have all the things you need....

Except another 1/48 P-39 for finally doing the Sharkmouthed one and get your admission in the Multibuild 's club 🤣🤣

Oh sure !! The naughty corner ids popular, an happy band of plastic warriors with lots of highly tastefull beverages... 

As George will say, "What else ???"

CC

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Do you see my friend ??

Britmodellonie's magic operated once again !!

Now, I think that you have all the things you need....

Except another 1/48 P-39 for finally doing the Sharkmouthed one and get your admission in the Multibuild 's club 🤣🤣

Oh sure !! The naughty corner ids popular, an happy band of plastic warriors with lots of highly tastefull beverages... 

As George will say, "What else ???"

CC

Alain,

Did you just throw down the Belgian velvet gauntlet of challenge? Consider it accepted my friend, but it will be a multi-RAAF build!. To my Airacobra I shall add....

A CAC-13 Boomerang :elephant:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

Alain,

Did you just throw down the Belgian velvet gauntlet of challenge? Consider it accepted my friend, but it will be a multi-RAAF build!. To my Airacobra I shall add....

A CAC-13 Boomerang :elephant:

What do you mean, you never heard of it?!!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

What do you mean, you never heard of it?!!!

Omonoki N'Gaï Pamba ?? I'm sure that @jean will understand it, or this variant Una Nî hona Bule He ??

It's Kilingala and Kiswahili language :rofl2::rofl2:

CAC Boomerang is already in my attic... With A Vultee Vengeance and a Wirraway...

And for the challenge, I'll just say...

HOLD MY BEER !!! I say hold... not try it !! :wicked::wicked:

I'm at this time engraving a Monogram P-39....:evil_laugh:

WiP will be published in a few minutes or tomorrow morning, depending of how many time my good Lady will squat the PC.... :evil_laugh:

I can resist to anything but Temptation !! Then I already have an Aussie finished... And a New Zealander...

Just saying !!

Hilarious CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooo  now you've done it.   

Is this the 48th scale Special Hobby  kit.   Got one in the stash too.  

Great stuff.

Chris

47 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Omonoki N'Gaï Pamba ?? I'm sure that @jean will understand it, or this variant Una Nî hona Bule He ??

It's Kilingala and Kiswahili language :rofl2::rofl2:

CAC Boomerang is already in my attic... With A Vultee Vengeance and a Wirraway...

And for the challenge, I'll just say...

HOLD MY BEER !!! I say hold... not try it !! :wicked::wicked:

I'm at this time engraving a Monogram P-39....:evil_laugh:

WiP will be published in a few minutes or tomorrow morning, depending of how many time my good Lady will squat the PC.... :evil_laugh:

I can resist to anything but Temptation !! Then I already have an Aussie finished... And a New Zealander...

Just saying !!

Hilarious CC

Challenge accepted my friends - it is indeed the Special Hobby kit...

• Like 1

I am soooooo weak :banghead:

Here is a link to my new Boomerang WIP - I am now officially in the multi-build club!

@corsaircorp and @bigbadbadge can consider themselves at least partly responsible for whatever goes wrong!!

• Haha 2

Hi All,

Some progress today. I started out on the cockpit, specifically the bulkhead behind the pilot's seat. A quick check on th'interweb revealed that the dimples in the component should be through holes. Here's before:

10.jpg

And after:

11.jpg

I then realised that there is a mating transparent component, so that got the same treatment:

12.jpg

Whilst I was doing that I decided to mask the clear components as the one above would need to be sprayed:

13.jpg

I then turned my attention to the PE IP assembly (which was fiddly!!):

14.jpg

Here's the cockpit elements coming together:

15.jpg

And here's the nose section added in (you can just see the tube which houses the propshaft projecting from the firewall):

16.jpg

Here's a final view showing the nosewheel bay and the propshaft tube:

17.jpg

All going pretty smoothly so far! :whistle:

I'll get round to painting all the components which I've missed in interior green :banghead:

That's all for now - thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I might as well join in with this one as well as the Boomerang, if you don’t mind. I also have the SH 1/32 version lurking in my stash somewhere.

John

The more the merrier John - welcome aboard!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress so far.

I  recall a suggestion that Bell used their own version of interior green, there might be something here on BM about it.

John

Good tip - thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress so far.

I  recall a suggestion that Bell used their own version of interior green, there might be something here on BM about it.

John

Yup agreed !!

It's more darker !! look like the bronze green used for the Avenger and Marauder !

CC

• Like 2

Looking good Roger so far, the Ip looks particularly nice.  I am not aware of any info on this type at all.   

Now that you are into multi builds , what about a Buffalo too, Special Hobby do a lovely 32nd kit of RAAF version.  

Just a thought!!!😉

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Roger so far, the Ip looks particularly nice.  I am not aware of any info on this type at all.   

Now that you are into multi builds , what about a Buffalo too, Special Hobby do a lovely 32nd kit of RAAF version.  

Just a thought!!!😉

Chris

Jeez man, you are trouble! (He said looking for said kit on internet). Maybe I'll see how a simple dual build goes first,

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Jeez man, you are trouble! (He said looking for said kit on internet). Maybe I'll see how a simple dual build goes first,

Cheers,

Roger

😃 Me!!! Not guilty me Lud.  The SH kit is very nice and very detailed too.  And not that much size difference to your  Avenger.  

Good to see you have the multi build bug , I had 12 started and stalled and have since cleared 6 of them this year so far.  The mojo returns and off you go.  

Chris

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

😃 Me!!! Not guilty me Lud.  The SH kit is very nice and very detailed too.  And not that much size difference to your  Avenger.  

Good to see you have the multi build bug , I had 12 started and stalled and have since cleared 6 of them this year so far.  The mojo returns and off you go.  

Chris

I just scored an Airfix Lanc BII from my parents for my birthday, so happy with that (also bigger wingspan than Buffalo!) I think I like the idea of themed builds, rather than multiples of 1 type or just randoms. I think I need to retain some focus...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Nice progress Roger. The cockpit detail looks good.

Thanks Steve - it's a little fiddly but I have to say I'm impressed with the detail and engineering thus far...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress so far.

John

Yes, there is.  I found it recently while researching my own Kingcobra.  In it someone quoted a paint requisition/allocation for the Airacobra which had a quantity of Medium Green paint, not obviously used anywhere else on the airframe,  That was good enough to persuade me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Yes, there is.  I found it recently while researching my own Kingcobra.  In it someone quoted a paint requisition/allocation for the Airacobra which had a quantity of Medium Green paint, not obviously used anywhere else on the airframe,  That was good enough to persuade me.

That's settled - a home-brew Bronze Green it is. Thank you for the steer...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dunny said:

That's settled - a home-brew Bronze Green it is. Thank you for the steer...

Before I commit - @Dana Bell would you be able to offer any advice? It would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Chris

How many ??

Huh, I don't know, moons ago, a gentle Bm'er has counted 37....

Now, it's never carved in rock...:rofl2:

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

I just scored an Airfix Lanc BII from my parents for my birthday, so happy with that (also bigger wingspan than Buffalo!) I think I like the idea of themed builds, rather than multiples of 1 type or just randoms. I think I need to retain some focus...

Don't you worry, docs use to say that brain must be trained....

Multi tasks is a good way to do so...:wicked:

Then, it's a mojo saver !!

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Fine job Roger, look good to me !!

CC

• Haha 2

Hi Dunny,

Sorry that I hadn't logged into this conversation earlier.  I've two contemporary color photos of open P-39 cockpits.  The first clearly shows Bronze Green (recognized by it color and oily sheen) and the second clearly shows the blackish version of Dull Dark Green (similar to German Black Green).  Recovered wrecks and museum unrestored aircraft show Interior Green (black-tinted zinc chromate).  All of this makes sense - Bronze Green and DDG were interchangeable, depending on what was in stock at the time of painting; Interior Green was the replacement mandated in 1943.

Untinted (yellow) zinc chromate appears to have been used everywhere outside the cockpit until it was replaced by Interior Green in 1943.

Hope this helps...

Dana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5