1:48 RAAF P39F Bell Airacobra

Dunny

Hi All,

I'm straight into my next project (making the most of gardening leave before I start a new job next week!) :penguin:I'm going to build Eduard's 1:48 Airacobra. Here's the box artwork:

1.jpg

Here's the sprue shots:

3.jpg

4.jpg

And a nice PE fret:

6.jpg

The kit contains markings for 5 US aircraft (including no less than 3 with sharkmouths - @corsaircorp take note!!)🦈

However I've decided to complete this as an RAAF machine, so I've sourced a set of the excellent Red Roo transfers:

5.jpg

I'm going to complete as the machine shown, A53-6 of 82 Sqn RAAF, based at RAAF Bankstown NSW in 1943. This is the only picture I could find of the aircraft, which crashed due to engine failure in August 1943. The aircraft was subsequently repaired and returned to the US 5th Air Force.

crashed-p-39-airacobra-of-82-sqn-raaf.jp

A quick check of the aircraft serial revealed that this was a P39F:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a53.htm

This meant that the aircraft had a 3-bladed Aeroproducts constant-speed propeller and 12-stack exhausts, both of which are provided in the kit.

There has been some discussion on this forum regarding the colours of RAAF aircraft:

The scheme as presented by Red Roo shows the aircraft in US Olive Drab and Extra Dark Sea Grey over RAAF Sky Blue. I have no reason to doubt this combination, and it will make for an unusual colour scheme, so I'm going to go with it, dammit!! :banghead:

Anyway, on with the build!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Look forward to seeing it in that scheme.

Thanks Steve - it is quite unusual, isn't it?!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Big Airacobra fan here going to follow along. 

Welcome aboard Dennis!

• Like 1

Greetings from Melbourne Town!! Wow!! You don't get to see an Aussie Airacobra too often! Looks like a beautiful kit to build. One thing I've learnt about Red Roo Models is that they research their colours.

1 minute ago, bertielissie said:

Greetings from Melbourne Town!! Wow!! You don't get to see an Aussie Airacobra too often! Looks like a beautiful kit to build. One thing I've learnt about Red Roo Models is that they research their colours.

Thanks Bertie - the kit certainly looks the goods. I have also been impressed with Red Roo's level of research,

Cheers, 

Roger

• Like 1

Hi Dunny/Roger,  I think Red Roo do a good job with their research. I checked to see if they had this in stock https://www.redroomodels.com/product/raaf-colour-schemes-markings-part-6a/......      Sadly it doesn't come up as available. Maybe worth giving them a buzz if you like or just follow the scheme on the decal sheet. Cheers. Paul (aka Bertie Lissie :elephant:)     

4 minutes ago, bertielissie said:

Hi Dunny/Roger,  I think Red Roo do a good job with their research. I checked to see if they had this in stock https://www.redroomodels.com/product/raaf-colour-schemes-markings-part-6a/......      Sadly it doesn't come up as available. Maybe worth giving them a buzz if you like or just follow the scheme on the decal sheet. Cheers. Paul (aka Bertie Lissie :elephant:)     

Thanks for that Paul - at the least it does give some confidence in the scheme as presented!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi @Dunny :) Hope you are good- Did you get to see the P 39 restored by the Classic Jets Fighter Museum? (I think its now in Russia)

Have a few up close up shots if you want me to post.

spacer.png

Pinback

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pinback said:

Hi @Dunny :) Hope you are good- Did you get to see the P 39 restored by the Classic Jets Fighter Museum? (I think its now in Russia)

Have a few up close up shots if you want me to post.

Pinback

Wow - what a beauty. I'd love to see some closeups - thank you!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hello Roger !!

That's a great choice !!

Don't you worry, the Dual combo is in my attic, with the Sharkmouths....

I think that I have four P-39 Eduard and Monogram....

That will make another multi build thread...

I'll follow your Aussie Airacobra journey...

About Red Roo, I ensure you that they search thoroughly for their color schemes

And They are open to discussions, Just flagging @Ed Russell and you'll see !!

If you need me, I'll be at the bar, Naughty Corner, 3rd planet on the left hand after Uranus...

Sincerey.

CC

• Haha 3

Good choice Roger,...... I`ve always fancied doing an Aussie Airacobra myself,..... although that box art subject is very tempting too!

The RAAF scheme has always made me put my project to one side as although I do like it,....., and I trust the research that has gone into it....... I always fear that as soon as I finish it some extra info will surface,..... this dogs me a lot unfortunately,...... just like others slave over an intensive modelling project only for Airfix to then announce an all singing and dancing kit with bells on it LOL!

Really looking forward to following this one,

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 2

Hi @Dunny Sure  :) Didn't take any main U/C shots - sorry!

Here is a link to their website which gives details on their previous projects including the P39.  http://www.classicjets.com/oldprojects.htm

Hope these are of some help- most are self explanatory

Plenty of boxes in the rear cockpit here

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This shot is looking upwards in the front wheel well showing the pipe enclosing the propshaft.

spacer.png

Lastly - couldn't resist it- their magnificent P 38 restoration which went to the UK

spacer.png

Pinback

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, Dunny said:

The scheme as presented by Red Roo shows the aircraft in US Olive Drab and Extra Dark Sea Grey over RAAF Sky Blue.

of you can find it, this is a very interesting read

The Modeller's Guide To The Bell P-39 Airacobra In RAAF Service, Gary Byk.

12946243171.jpg

which goes into detail of why such colours are suggested.   Got colour chips as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Rewriting this book is on our agenda. It is basically still correct but really out of date. Some of the colour advice is admittedly speculative but that's nothing new in modelling!

@Dunny PM me your email address if you want more pictures of RAAF  P-39s.

The former SAAM P-39 was somewhat of a cosmetic non-flyable rebuild but pretty well done. The new owners in Russia are contemplating a flying rebuild. Given the relative importance of the P-39 in Australia and Russia, I am not unhappy to see it go there. I measured it up a few years ago for the book re-write. One day..............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

of you can find it, this is a very interesting read

The Modeller's Guide To The Bell P-39 Airacobra In RAAF Service, Gary Byk.

which goes into detail of why such colours are suggested.   Got colour chips as well.  

That's great Troy - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

Rewriting this book is on our agenda. It is basically still correct but really out of date. Some of the colour advice is admittedly speculative but that's nothing new in modelling!

@Dunny PM me your email address if you want more pictures of RAAF  P-39s.

The former SAAM P-39 was somewhat of a cosmetic non-flyable rebuild but pretty well done. The new owners in Russia are contemplating a flying rebuild. Given the relative importance of the P-39 in Australia and Russia, I am not unhappy to see it go there. I measured it up a few years ago for the book re-write. One day..............

Thanks Ed - will PM you!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice Choice Roger , I thought about the Special Hobby 32nd kit but thought I had better not.  Be great to see this progress in this cracking scheme.  

Chris

Cheers Chris,

I wasn't aware of a 1:32 option. Very cool, but outsize for me!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinback said:

Hi @Dunny Sure  :) Didn't take any main U/C shots - sorry!

Here is a link to their website which gives details on their previous projects including the P39.  http://www.classicjets.com/oldprojects.htm

Hope these are of some help- most are self explanatory

Plenty of boxes in the rear cockpit here

This shot is looking upwards in the front wheel well showing the pipe enclosing the propshaft.

Lastly - couldn't resist it- their magnificent P 38 restoration which went to the UK

Pinback

Awesome photos Pinback - thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Sadly I sold the last decal sheet in 1/48 yesterday. If you drop me a line by email (off the website -  redrooatredroomodels.com) and let me know what you need I'll see if there are some bits lurking in the decal archive. Cheers, Gary

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger !!

That's a great choice !!

Don't you worry, the Dual combo is in my attic, with the Sharkmouths....

I think that I have four P-39 Eduard and Monogram....

That will make another multi build thread...

I'll follow your Aussie Airacobra journey...

About Red Roo, I ensure you that they search thoroughly for their color schemes

And They are open to discussions, Just flagging @Ed Russell and you'll see !!

If you need me, I'll be at the bar, Naughty Corner, 3rd planet on the left hand after Uranus...

Sincerey.

CC

I'm pleased to hear it Alain - welcome aboard. Could this be the next CC multi-build?! :elephant::elephant::elephant:

That naughty corner does seem awfully popular 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GPB said:

Sadly I sold the last decal sheet in 1/48 yesterday. If you drop me a line by email (off the website -  redrooatredroomodels.com) and let me know what you need I'll see if there are some bits lurking in the decal archive. Cheers, Gary

Thanks Gary - very kind! I already got the sheet a few weeks ago so I'm good to go!

Many thanks,

Roger

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Good choice Roger,...... I`ve always fancied doing an Aussie Airacobra myself,..... although that box art subject is very tempting too!

The RAAF scheme has always made me put my project to one side as although I do like it,....., and I trust the research that has gone into it....... I always fear that as soon as I finish it some extra info will surface,..... this dogs me a lot unfortunately,...... just like others slave over an intensive modelling project only for Airfix to then announce an all singing and dancing kit with bells on it LOL!

Really looking forward to following this one,

Cheers

Tony  

Thanks Tony,

The sharkmouth versions were tempting, but couldn't resist the OD/EDSG/Sky Blue! I know what you mean about accuracy, but at the end of the day it's all about 'reasonable doubt'. I've yet to tackle any seriously demanding kits, but can imagine the frustration of the 'Airfix Syndrome'!!

Good to have you aboard,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2