WnW lead designer goes 1/144 with new company - Beacon Models

Putty Animal

Yes, this looks a very interesting project.

Problem is my eyes are screaming at me to go up from 1/72nd to 48th and 32nd, not down to 144th! 😄

But I really like the idea of building some RAF Bomber Command and USAAF 'heavies' in this scale, if they ever came about. I'd actually have the space to display them.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IanC said:

Problem is my eyes are screaming at me to go up from 1/72nd to 48th and 32nd, not down to 144th! 😄

You'd be surprised, building a 144th scale plane is often no more fiddly than any other scale - if you can model a 48th scale cockpit, you can make 144th scale landing gear!

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

....someone has also suggested a pre painted transfer for canopy framing. That might work for the 109....

Trevor

Squadron did this a number of years ago and called it "Fast Frames" and it was not 100% effective.  Was hard to get them to stick at the edges as they were pre-cut from some kind of vinyl.  If it were pre-cut on kabuki tape it would stick great and conform to curves but the finish is not smooth.  But the idea I think is good.  

Camo pattern masks are a possibility, but I think it would be a bridge too far for including with the kits as standard in terms of cost. However as an optional extra, I think it could be done without much issue. There's only the A and B scheme for the spitfire, and I think two common splinter patterns for the 109. It's something to look into, but I wouldn't make any promises. 

Edited by WLJayne

On 1/5/2021 at 7:14 AM, WLJayne said:

The research we've done indicates to us that it's a good selling point to leverage, and the price of the kits can still be competitive even with the inclusion at the quantities we'd be ordering from suppliers. They're only tiny as it's just canopy masks, we may do camo masks as separate items. Not everyone will want or use them, but as with any product, we're trying to satisfy the broadest range of customer needs/desires possible. These kits aren't aimed at highly price sensitive customers, there are very affordable kits from old tools out there to satisfy that market :).

If you’re going to include canopy masks, please include wheel masks as well for painting the tyres and hubs neatly.

On 21/01/2021 at 7:29 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Here’s some photos of the partially assembled first one.

Looks good!  Will theu come with the stand, or have you got a separate source for those?

On 1/30/2021 at 7:22 PM, VMA131Marine said:

If you’re going to include canopy masks, please include wheel masks as well for painting the tyres and hubs neatly.

We can ask if that's possible, however they are extremely small. But we'll try!

Nice work Adam those are looking amazing!

With regards to the flying bases, those hex shaped ones you can get in tabletop gaming shops (I bought them on ebay) however we will be making our own flying base if we raise enough money. We will have to reach a very high funding goal to be able to afford to cut the tool for the bases, so fingers crossed the campaign will be popular! This is the concept so far, it uses a neodymium ball magnet so you can pose the model in flight:

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant job Adam!! We're going to do some photography with those and the 109's that Fabio is painting. I've also ordered that aerial gaming mat from DeepCut and some Luftwaffe/RAF themed dice. We're also having quite a few painted up as static models too of course, as that's the focus. But hopefully these will tempt a few tabletop gamers to back the Kickstarter too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps! Here are some images of Adam's "in flight" builds, as well as a WIP of the static build being completed by Juan Villegas. We have 15 modellers currently working on builds of these so lots more to come!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Fabio Santonocito has finished the in-flight Bf109's to do battle with Adam's Spitfires! Just waiting for Juan Villegas to finish the static versions of all these now, and then we'll be able to do all the photography we need :D.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I’m going to throw my vote in here for AIRLINERS! in 1/144, especially if they are to the same standard as that exquisite Spitfire. A new Boeing 707 and 727 are badly needed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I’m going to throw my vote in here for AIRLINERS! in 1/144, especially if they are to the same standard as that exquisite Spitfire. A new Boeing 707 and 727 are badly needed.

Always a possibility for the future :). Warplanes are going to be where most of the money is of course, but for the sake of variety I would to do things like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WE GO LIVE ON THE 18TH OF MAY 2021!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beacon-models/the-few-part-1

The wait is over, we can finally announce the launch date! The pre-launch Kickstarter page is now live, link below. You will have to create an account on Kickstarter and follow the project by clicking the "Notify me on launch" button on the page. You will then receive an email from Kickstarter on the 18th May when the campaign is live and you can make your pledge!
As you can see, we have pre-launch stretch goals, with a prize draw and extra free goodies for all backers. To unlock these, we want to reach as many Kickstarter followers as possible. So to all our wonderful early supporters, we now need you more than ever! Please share these posts and the Kickstarter links among your friends and communities, and help get as many people as possible following the Kickstarter page as well as our other social media pages. We will also be doing marketing in the next few weeks before launch, so expect to be joined by many new recruits! Thank you all so much for supporting us for so long. We have learned to much along the way and we hope it will result in a smooth campaign and amazing model kits, with many more to come in future!

Will & Bryan.

spacer.png

Edited by WLJayne
  • Like 4

On 4/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, WLJayne said:

Always a possibility for the future :). Warplanes are going to be where most of the money is of course, but for the sake of variety I would to do things like that.

Transport aircraft used in civilian use or the other way from 40's would be nice and be closer to your main are of interest, like de Havilland DH.91 Albatross, Avro York (for example LV633 Ascalon, Churchill's personal aircraft.), Vickers VC.1 Viking, Avro Lancastrian. and such.

Edited by Botan