WnW lead designer goes 1/144 with new company - Beacon Models

Putty Animal

12 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'd love to know how you got the open canopy to look so good.

Perhaps preoulded parts to make open canopies could be an extra for these kits - would be great for anyone making a scramble scene.

That's a good point. We can look into it - we're injecting multiple canopies per shot of the clear tool and it's possible we might be able to include both open and closed versions but it will depend on a few factors, not least cost. But we'd have to include a one piece canopy either way as assembling it closed from two pieces would be very fiddly indeed for many modellers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WLJayne said:

That's a good point. We can look into it - we're injecting multiple canopies per shot of the clear tool and it's possible we might be able to include both open and closed versions but it will depend on a few factors, not least cost. But we'd have to include a one piece canopy either way as assembling it closed from two pieces would be very fiddly indeed for many modellers.

I wouldn't consider it a priority but it would be interesting in 1/144. However, I'd personally choose build closed up in that scale. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'd love to know how you got the open canopy to look so good.

Hi Tim.  I used the front of the Sweet canopy, but thinned it down from the inside with burs and scrapers to get a better look.  The sliding portion was made from scratch and moulded over the stove. :)

@WLJayne It is so nice to be able to be able to ask questions.  The work you have done so far and the vision you have is fantastic.

I'm curious about the 109 canopies too.  So far no manufacturer has offered a good early style 109E canopy with the rounded corners.  It's a shame, as a lot of very attractive schemes feature the early style of hood.  I imagine for the initial run you would probably need to concentrate on one sort, but do you have any plans to consider something like these in future releases? 

spacer.png

• Like 1

We've already modelled the early canopy, same for the spit. We're still not sure about including the E-1 wings without the cannons as an option, and likewise the Mk1b cannon armed wings for the spit. Maybe if we do really well with the funding and we hit all our goals! We want to offer as much added value as possible and make these kits versatile. I think the open canopies may be tricky simply because of the thickness issue - but we can certainly include one piece canopy variants. It may just have to be left for the more adventurous modellers like yourself to do them in scramble configuration :D!

• Like 1

I wish this new company the very best of luck, particularly considering the disgusting way that the WNW staff were treated by their former employer (but the treatment was within New Zealand employment laws, from what I've read). 

Chris. 

• Like 1

Are there really people out there who would take pleasure from masking the canopy frames on a 1/144 scale BF109?

I really hope Beacon Models sends a copy of their CAD to Eduard so some pre-cut masks are made available! Actually, I'd rather see masks in the box than loads of optional parts such as open canopies.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Killingholme said:

Are there really people out there who would take pleasure from masking the canopy frames on a 1/144 scale BF109?

I really hope Beacon Models sends a copy of their CAD to Eduard so some pre-cut masks are made available! Actually, I'd rather see masks in the box than loads of optional parts such as open canopies.

sounds expensive for them to include, buuuut I'd appreciate the inclusion of masks.....

8 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Masks will be included in the box and we're sourcing them from a well respected supplier, as with decals. It's an extra expense, but it's manageable and these are premium kits. Sweet, Platz and Eduard are all fantastic moulding quality, so as well as matching that we're trying to include more added value in the box with things like masks.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't see masks as added value but added cost.

I certainly see them as added value, cutting them from scratch is tedious. Not all modellers would agree obviously

• Like 3

The research we've done indicates to us that it's a good selling point to leverage, and the price of the kits can still be competitive even with the inclusion at the quantities we'd be ordering from suppliers. They're only tiny as it's just canopy masks, we may do camo masks as separate items. Not everyone will want or use them, but as with any product, we're trying to satisfy the broadest range of customer needs/desires possible. These kits aren't aimed at highly price sensitive customers, there are very affordable kits from old tools out there to satisfy that market :).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Killingholme said:

Are there really people out there who would choose to attempt to mask and paint something which, involving no compound curves, is so much more easily and less stressily done with strips of pre-painted clear decal stock?

2 hours ago, WLJayne said:

The research we've done indicates to us that it's a good selling point to leverage, and the price of the kits can still be competitive even with the inclusion at the quantities we'd be ordering from suppliers. They're only tiny as it's just canopy masks, we may do camo masks as separate items. Not everyone will want or use them, but as with any product, we're trying to satisfy the broadest range of customer needs/desires possible. These kits aren't aimed at highly price sensitive customers, there are very affordable kits from old tools out there to satisfy that market :).

I have nothing to base my comment on other than my own experience, but I am absolutely sure that's the right call. Inclusion  (or easy availability aftermarket) of a canopy mask set has been increasingly a part of my purchasing decisions lately (and I mainly model 1/72). 

Sounds like you've all really done your homework. Increasingly excited by this venture.  Always looking for something a bit different. Good luck!

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Are there really people out there who would choose to attempt to mask and paint something which, involving no compound curves, is so much more easily and less stressily done with strips of pre-painted clear decal stock?

Yes there are, because to them using very thin strips of painted decal is more stressful than masking 🙂

Just goes to show what a broad church of views modellers on here have.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to see the results Adam! Heroes Models in Italy will be doing some 109s for us, and Juan Villegas is also doing some painting. It was really difficult to choose who to approach with the commission work as there are so many brilliant modellers who are supporting us and we thought that lots would be interested. That's why we're doing the giveaway, as it gives everyone else a fair chance of getting a model to paint, but we also need the more closely managed commission work for photography like Adam is doing for us :).

• Like 1

Here’s some photos of the partially assembled first one. If people would be interested I might start a WIP thread for the next three I have to build. Everything seems to go together quite well, any small problems I come across will hopefully be addressed once it’s in plastic. 
I’m quite enjoying this resin project, it’s a little outside what I usually do. Perhaps I will move my 1/144 Welsh Models Valiant ahead in my rough schedule for this year.

9987857c9e24915da5e8ae9a005ca2be.jpg
275ea5da1d1b4ec5eaf553cdbac19623.jpg
bfffa602ee4d1f39eab31b8bf95f83d6.jpg

• Like 13

The Spit looks good. I like the idea of kabuki style masks for camouflage in 1/72. If I read the post correctly, someone has also suggested a pre painted transfer for canopy framing. That might work for the 109, but may be trickier for types with complex curves such as a He111.

Looking on with interest 👍🏻

Trevor