Revell P-70 into a Boston III

So, a bit more progress.  I got some thin coats of 'scale black (half black / half brick red) on.  I then masked off the fabric parts of the control surfaces, and dry-brushed on some anthracite.

Then just dry-daubed various combos of scale black, pure black, anthracite and very dark grey.

A few decals on from the following sheet:

2021-01-05_09-33-59

Which leaves us here:

2021-01-05_09-34-21

2021-01-05_09-34-32

Looks awful, doesn't it?  Never mind.  I think it will look better with a light grey filter coat, an overall flat coat, and some pastel work.  We'll see.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 5

Just caught up with this. The sort of modelling I like, especially knowing that you’ve got the Super Hobby kit in the stash, but went for this one! It’s looking mighty fine and pretty close to done. 

Regards,

Adrian (MPM and Airfix Boston IIIs in stash)

• Like 1

Cracking job on this one, it's good ghat you got it to stand rather than Tailsit.   I built the SH mk V by Revell and I couldn't get mine to stand without tailsitting,  had to put it on a base and drill a hole in the front wheel and brass rod bent at an angle to go into the base. 

Love all the traditional modelling going on here. 

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up with this. The sort of modelling I like, especially knowing that you’ve got the Super Hobby kit in the stash, but went for this one! It’s looking mighty fine and pretty close to done. 

Regards,

Adrian (MPM and Airfix Boston IIIs in stash)

Thanks, Adrian

I don't know what it says about me but further to your comment above, I've just bought Revell's old tool Lanc from ebay and sold on the new one!

Rgds

Martin

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking job on this one, it's good ghat you got it to stand rather than Tailsit.   I built the SH mk V by Revell and I couldn't get mine to stand without tailsitting,  had to put it on a base and drill a hole in the front wheel and brass rod bent at an angle to go into the base. 

Love all the traditional modelling going on here. 

Chris

Thanks, Chris,

It was touch and go, though, and I've just wiped off the nose gear leg (sigh). 

BTW, I've also got 2 of the MPM Bostons, but the thought of accurately aligning all the little exhaust outlet fairings on the cowlings really puts me off.

Rgds

Martin

Just now, mike romeo said:

Thanks, Chris,

It was touch and go, though, and I've just wiped off the nose gear leg (sigh). 

BTW, I've also got 2 of the SH Bostons, but the thought of accurately aligning all the little exhaust outlet fairings on the cowlings really puts me off.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike romeo said:

BTW, I've also got 2 of the MPM Bostons, but the thought of accurately aligning all the little exhaust outlet fairings on the cowlings really puts me off.

They are not too bad to add, just don't let the carpet monster at any of them !!! 

Chris

• Like 1

So, things look a little better now.  I finished off the decals, sealed them in with klear, then added a very thinned layer of mid grey colour.  It took a bit of effort to get the right thickness, but after a matt coat, it looks like this:

2021-01-07_10-12-27

2021-01-07_10-12-15

For a faded RDM2 finish, that'll do it for me.

Painted the props and main wheels today, and I'm currently repairing the nosewheel leg.  Some scratchbuilding will be required.

More soon.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 2

Progress on the Boston intruder continues at my usual glacial place (Why does the, "Black . . . . black!!!!" Fast Show character come to mind?)

Anyway, she's on her feet and defo not a tailsitter.  The nosegear leg has bits of the original, bent plastic rod, brass tube, araldite, sprue soup and super glue, so a bit of a bodge up and, sans doute, very fragile.

Quite happy with the finish tho', despite shimming, glasswork fit is only so so, as are the frame lines.  Probs do some touch up there.  Also, If I do another of these as the mount of Bill Newton, VC, I may try smash moulding some replacements.

2021-01-10_11-07-54

2021-01-10_11-08-04

2021-01-10_11-08-23

The sit is currently a bit flat, rather than slightly nose up, so if I can easily remove the main wheels (which are an interference fit rather than glued), I will file a couple of flats in those.

In the last pics, you can see the hedgehog exhausts, which are quickboost at the rear and plastic tube, heat bent over a candle flame, at the front.

Hope you enjoy, and feel free to leave comments.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, tommyinuk0 said:

Hi, just aquired the same Matchbox kit, going to just do it OOB but thanks for your posts, which show me what's ahead! Your kit turned out great and looks the part, I may use some of your tips.

Enjoy it however you build it, Tommy!