Heller SNCASE Mistral

Graeme H

Getting into this slowly, as I'm having to get stuck into a couple of other GB's that I need to finish.

My kit is probably one of the more esoteric boxings by Lodela of the Mistral, the same kit @Wez is doing, but I've got a conversion to make it into the RAAF FB30 or FB31 version

The difference being the FB30 had the Extra intakes on top and called Elephant Ears, but was found to cause a disturbed airflow and buffeting, so moved to the underside,

I well remember seeing one of these do a wheels up landing at an Airshow in the late '50's at Williamtown RAAF Base, where Dad was stationed, and him saying that will be a write off.

The boxart is the same as the Heller kit, but made in Mexico, curiously the instructions are the same as the Heller kit

I also have Revell boxing of the same kit, and the Heller Vampire, both of which were cheap buys at swap meets

DSCN3710.jpg

I got this at a swap meet somewhere and cost me $6 

The resin comes from HPM is beautifully cast giving a very nice EJ Seat as well as both types of intakes and an all important Decal sheet

It also has the Nene Tailpipe to cut down a Vampire, but I thought better to start with a Nene powered one anyway

DSCN3712.jpg

The Plastic

DSCN3709.jpg

Work has commenced, but as I said just a place marker at this stage, until I get the BoB Hurricane done, and a bit more done on the Vietnam Canberra

• Like 8

Great to have you with us Graeme, especially with another model company i had never heard of that released Heller kits under their own brand.

I love the connection between this kit and time spent with your dad, that will make this build all the more special

Best of luck

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Watching on Graeme and keen to see an Aussie subject being built within this GB, come to think of it, you may be the only one so far? 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Watching on Graeme and keen to see an Aussie subject being built within this GB, come to think of it, you may be the only one so far? 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Hmm, I do have a couple of Heller Mirage IIIs, and several RAAF IIIO decals at the ready, that could cross over into the Interceptor GB

decisions, decisions 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Hmm, I do have a couple of Heller Mirage IIIs, and several RAAF IIIO decals at the ready, that could cross over into the Interceptor GB

decisions, decisions 

Don’t think.... DO!! 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, JOCKNEY said:

especially with another model company i had never heard of that released Heller kits under their own brand.

You have never heard of Lodela before Pat?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report, working on the wings, there are a few sink marks that need attention, and have decided to go the rescribe route as this silver platic leaves behind a witness mark when you sand it down.

DSCN3718.jpg

here you can see where they have ground off the Heller markings

DSCN3719.jpg

• Like 4

Good luck with the rescribing there Graeme, always a chore that gets me a little worked up and hot bothered. 

I'm sure it will look so much better for it. I'll probably leave mine as it when it arrives 😉

Cheers.. Dave 

I think it's easier to scribe the wings before putting them together, they stay flat and controllable, the fuselage has a lot of spurious lines that the Wooden fuselage nacelle doesn't have, but misses the important removable panel on the starboard side, will try and cut a decal for that, there is just the one line before the windscreen, and then the covers over the engine, which may be the hardest ones to do, we'll see.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Graeme had an update nearly ready to upload but the New Year has already thrown him a huge lemon beyond his Lemonade making capacity so there will be a (hopefully) short delay in transmission before “normal” programming resumes ... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/01/2021 at 01:36, Rob S said:

Graeme had an update nearly ready to upload but the New Year has already thrown him a huge lemon beyond his Lemonade making capacity so there will be a (hopefully) short delay in transmission before “normal” programming resumes ... 

It's with great sadness we have to report his passing.  RIP Graeme.

• Sad 3