1:48 Westland Lysander MkIIIA

Hi All,

Here is my attempt at Eduard's 1:48 Lysander. This is a reboxing of the Gavia kit circa 2001, and I had the 'Lysander in British & Finnish Service' boxing. Here's the WIP if anyone is interested:

I chose to model as V9289 of 357 Sqn RAF, which saw service in Burma in 1945. Here's a photo of the actual aircraft (image copyright World War Photos):

Lysander-Mk-IIIA-V9289-Burma.jpg

You may note that there's a fair bit of wear around the cowling and spats. I made my first attempt at using the 'hairspray' technique to replicate this wear. I made a few other improvements and additions to the kit, summarised as follows:

Scratchbuilt the base to the pilot's seat using brass tubing, along with 0.4mm lead wire added to the back of the IP:

51.jpg

As this was a Special Duties (SD) version, I also dispensed with the rear seat and scratchbuilt a 'plywood' bench seat, full-width plywood floor with non-slip coating and sliding radio tray which were all present in this version. The rear cockpit deck was also scratchbuilt, dispensing with all equiment along with the rear guns.

46.jpg

I also considered showing the leading edge slats and flaps deployed, but as photos show both extended and stowed I took the path of least resistance. Many thanks to others who provided advice for these elements - particular thanks must go to @bigbadbadge, @dnl42 and @AdrianMF who all graciously assisted. The kit is very fiddly in parts, but it should be noted that Eduard have corrected the dihedral issues that were present in earlier boxings (caused by incorrect location of the wing strut location holes). Anyway, here's the photos:

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

Although the build has been a bit of a fight I'm quite pleased with the result and I'm definitely glad to add this most secretive of aircraft to my collection!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

What a cracker , you have done a fantastic job  and created a lovely model Roger.  I do love the scheme too with the night undersides and your weathering. Great work fella  you should justifiably proud of your efforts.  Thanks for the mention too.

All the best 

Chris 

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

What a cracker , you have done a fantastic job  and created a lovely model Roger.  I do love the scheme too with the night undersides and your weathering. Great work fella  you should justifiably proud of your efforts.  Thanks for the mention too.

All the best 

Chris 

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words and all the help - much appreciated,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Troffa said:

A marvellous build of one of Yeovil's finest. Super finish and scratch building on display. 

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding work! :worthy:

I like the weathering! 

9 hours ago, gazza l said:

Lovely work, the weathering on the black underside is particularly effective. I've just finished this kit myself... had real problems fitting the side windows.

gazza l 

22 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superb portrayal of this amazing airplane!

Kind regards,

Joachim

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Your Lysander is superb, :like:  Outstanding build and weathering, the first one I've seen with SEAC markings.

Thanks for the kind words gents - much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonyot said:

You`ve done a lovely job on this Roger,........  looks great in this scheme too,...... great paintwork,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony - much appreciated!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Lovely job, Roger. A lot of works gone into that.

Cheers Vinnie - much appreciated!

1 minute ago, Sky Keg said:

Simply beautiful Roger!!!!!  Well done sir!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

Looks excellent from over here!

Just now, Mig88 said:

Beautifully finished. Well done!

Miguel

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

• Like 1