Tiger Moth Underwing Serials Size

bjohns5

I have the new Airfix 1/48 Tiger Moth and I want to built a different aircraft than the two choices in the box so I need to find a set of letter and number decals for the underwing codes. I'm perplexed about the underwing serials the Tigers carried. The two schemes the kit provides have the underwing black serials in two different fonts and two different letter sizes as shown below.  What would have been the font and size used on a Tiger Moth leaving the factory in March/April 1939, or would either of the examples Airfix provided be appropriate so I can match them to a decal set?

spacer.png

Edited by bjohns5
Spelling correction

I think the 2nd marking option (the silver an yellow one) is that of a modern restoration, so the underwing serials may be correct for the restoration (but not for historical correctness).

Furthermore, I think K4259 is a postwar scheme, judging by the roundel colours/proportions. Be aware there are two propeller options (the second scheme uses a modern propeller).

K2585 appears to have the correct font serials (to my untrained eye). There are plenty of decal sheets for RAF serials/codes.

• Like 1

That is the problem we get with modern day restorations. They are not always painted/marked accurately when it come s to military subjects.  

But I really do wish that someone will bring out more decals for civilian Tiger Moths , modern day or period. Both in 1/72nd and 1/48th. I really want to finish mine in one of the nice period schemes. I know Xtradecal do them but but none of the subjects appeal to me especially the 1/48th set.

• Thanks 1

My self-imposed restriction on the subject matter I model is that the aircraft must have flown in a combat mission between the beginning of 1933 and the end of 1943. But within that period I am fascinated by the types you would never have expected to have flown in combat missions like the Avro Tutors the desperate Greek AF flew recon missions in to locate German columns in 1941, the wave of Audaxes, Gordons and Oxfords running continuous shuttles to bomb Iraqi troops in defense of Habbaniya, or in this case, imagining the lot of the unfortunate RAF Reserve pilot sent out over the ocean looking for enemy submarines in a Tiger Moth armed with nothing but a Very pistol , a pair of carrier pigeons. and I suspect, quite a bit of prayer.

Edited by bjohns5