144 Compagnie Saharienne 1/35 figure

Ted

First released in 1977, the figure I'll build was originally in a two figure set with a camel. I'll start with just the standing figure.

20201006_172630

The model is part of this big set made up of three kits and a really flimsy vacuformed base. I built the Moroccan figure a while ago.

20201006_172355

20201006_172412

The instructions are cool, there are some tips on improving the diorama.

20201006_172457

And here's the base which I won't use.

20201006_172748

• Like 9

Nice one Ted.  Until I bought the Carbonel book I never knew that Heller did so many figure kits, I either never never saw them or they never registered in my conscience, this is why I'm so pleased to see them in this GB.

Figure modelling to my mind is one of the more difficult genres in modelling so good luck and welcome.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ted said:

And here's the base which I won't use.

Doesn't look that bad,  if flimsy, maybe you could pour some plaster or filler into the back, or even that expanding builder foam, which would not be so heavy. 

Be interesting to see you do some of the enhancement techniques on the instructions :) 

I remember doing some WWII French figures long ago,  well sculpted I Recall, and still in a box somewhere.

Look forward to more.

cheers

T

• 2 months later...

Looks very good Ted. This is the wonderful thing about these Classic Group Builds, the sheer variety of models.

And... at the risk of showing how little I know about figures and what they might have worn in the desert, is that supposed be a British soldier on the far left? Carrying the water ration and wearing a dressing gown? I only ask because he seems to be wearing a ‘Tommy’ tin helmet.

Thanks for the nudge to get back to this figure.

The figure with the british helmet is a Moroccan Gourmier. The Morrocan troops were equipped by British and American supplies but I don't know the details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I won't bore you with excuses, at least I'm back at it. After the quick assembly I resculpted some wonky fingers and patched some gaps with putty.

Now he's primed and ready for paint.

20201126_184755

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Because everyone knows brits always wear socks with sandals  ! 

There is nothing more comfortable than socks and sandals.

Got a bit done on his face and coat. I also have to de-saturate the blue on his kepi. Blue is a tough colour to use on miniatures.

20210120_205652

• Like 4

Got this one done. I may use the figure on a diorama sometime so I didn't do anything to the base, just painted it to hide any bare plastic.

Heller figure models are decent for their time.

20210128_190123