Dragon Panther Ausf D 1/35 (obvs) Kursk.

Jasper dog

Not really what I'd hoped for today, knocked work off early afternoon, Mrs JD had a hospital app 7.30 this eve, yeah go figure 7.30, that's a Sat a night out these days! Do I spend the intervening time on the Panther or....

spacer.png

Yeah guddling in the mud, should I play with the Panther or excavate a channel in the dyke in preparation for winter.....Did find an old horse shoe!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Just as long as there wasn't an old horse attached, then it's lucky. :whistle:

Poor Dobbin....I tried asking our elderly neighbour's if they remembered the horses ploughing the field.....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Poor Dobbin....I tried asking our elderly neighbour's if they remembered the horses ploughing the field.....

Looking at that picture the ploughing was a heck of a long time ago.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking at that picture the ploughing was a heck of a long time ago.

I can only assume it's been chucked into the dyke a fair time ago, good size too, Clydesdale or Suffolk punch, something with big feet anyhow!

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Not really what I'd hoped for today, knocked work off early afternoon, Mrs JD had a hospital app 7.30 this eve, yeah go figure 7.30, that's a Sat a night out these days! Do I spend the intervening time on the Panther or....

spacer.png

Yeah guddling in the mud, should I play with the Panther or excavate a channel in the dyke in preparation for winter.....Did find an old horse shoe!

I’m glad we aren’t on the Somme....

Your trench digging skills suck...... :D

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Your trench digging skills suck...... :D

Thanks, appreciated... 😤

It only needs to be a touch deeper and wider and perhaps with a decent field of view...

Tbh as long as it keeps the water away from the house I don't care!😜

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

It only needs to be a touch deeper and wider and perhaps with a decent field of view...

Is that so you have a clear field of fire for the snipers and cross fire for the machinegun posts. 😄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Is that so you have a clear field of fire for the snipers and cross fire for the machinegun posts. 😄

Exactly, have to keep the natives at bay!

• Haha 1

Little bit more done yesterday. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The aim is to get the basic hull and turret complete so I can start chucking a little paint around. Waiting for a new 75mm barrel so the mantlet and turret front are still loose. Loaders hatch can be open or closed, managed to avoid gluing it solid for once.

Coaxial mg has had its muzzle drilled out too, hate seeing a solid muzzle.

Bit of filler required on the commanders cupola too otherwise turret was no problem. 

Getting the top and bottom of hull together was a tricky job, no idea what I'd done wrong but it was a very tight fit and left a slight gap on the nose.

Plastic card tab is ready to accept the replacement mud guard just prior to painting. 

Would inside the drivers vision port flap be interior white or dunklegelb? I'd assume dunklegelb but ??

Otherwise all going together as advertised, if I only had the time to really get stuck in!

Fruils have come just need putting together and burnishing, no rush on that front.

There we are, still plugging away.

Thanks for looking

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Would inside the drivers vision port flap be interior white or dunklegelb? I'd assume dunklegelb but

Red oxide Darryl as the port would be closed during the painting process of the exterior hull and the port is separate to the paint process on the internals ...so would have been the colour that the whole exterior would have been during manufacture 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Red oxide Darryl as the port would be closed during the painting process of the exterior hull and the port is separate to the paint process on the internals ...so would have been the colour that the whole exterior would have been during manufacture 

Cheers bud, red it will be. The only colour example I've seen was a very nicely restored one which was yellow.

• Like 1

Brief midweek update...

Aren't I the lucky one, mid week modelling not long but something!

spacer.png

Drilled out the exhausts, dragon do give an indentation (one on left) but not very deep so quick ream out, simples!

spacer.png

Few fixtures and fittings added to the hull whilst waiting for the new barrel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not very exciting but at least proof of life if now't else!

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 9

Progress is progress Darryl...whats the saying...slow and steady wins the race.... unless you're up against Lee in which case it's more like slow and steady puts you so far behind you can't catch up :D

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Progress is progress Darryl...whats the saying...slow and steady wins the race.... unless you're up against Lee in which case it's more like slow and steady puts you so far behind you can't catch up :D

Hey, Mister !!

One day I'll use ALL the Parts !! :D

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Hey, Mister !!

One day I'll use ALL the Parts !! :D

Explains a lot don't it.....

Have we seen photos of both sides, you don't think he only paints one side and the top do you?

Wasn't that a thing with one of the modelling mags years ago, the editor would only finish the side that was going to to photographed??

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Explains a lot don't it.....

Have we seen photos of both sides, you don't think he only paints one side and the top do you?

Wasn't that a thing with one of the modelling mags years ago, the editor would only finish the side that was going to to photographed??

Seriously ? :D

12 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Seriously ? :D

Of course I'm sure you wouldn't only finish one side mate....

It was rumoured, long time ago, that was the way to get all the kits finished and photographed, it was a rumour and could be total whatsits!

• Haha 2

Wonders never cease, another update!

Hull pretty much complete, save paint, tools and wheels.

Mounting brackets for the schurzen fitted, combination of Dragon and pe ones along with damaged front mudflap. The dragon ones are simply but fairly robust so they will be fine behind the schurzen, the pe are used where the damage/missing plate will be.

PE grills fitted to engine deck along with access hatches etc. As the vehicle would have been fairly new I'm not going to batter it around too much by bending or cutting the pe grills as you might expect to see on something that had seen months of use.

Not expecting to see the turrets parts for the better part of a week so I'll have to get on with the wheels and tracks next I suppose! Hate panther wheels!

spacer.png

Most of the bits to make up the schurzen brackets, sooo exciting,  you must be thrilled, pity I forgot to take a pic if the assembled bracket!

Damaged front  corner.

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

• Like 11