Dragon Panther Ausf D 1/35 (obvs) Kursk.

Jasper dog

Thought a nice early Ausf D would make a nice counterbalance to all the late ones. If going early really has to be a Kursk Panther.... plus bonus of no Zimm!

spacer.png

And what's in the box!

spacer.png

Kit I bought second hand a few years ago and came with a couple of extras and some ds tracks.

Should make for a fairly relaxed and uncomplicated build... 

And the real 445, it's an option supplied by Dragon, plan to do it pre KO!

spacer.png

Good luck everyone!

• Like 10

Nice choice, are you going to bin the DS tracks fella? They are probably more trouble than they are worth, they have a tendency to crumble and eat the normal plastic of the road wheels after a period of time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Nice choice, are you going to bin the DS tracks fella? They are probably more trouble than they are worth, they have a tendency to crumble and eat the normal plastic of the road wheels after a period of time. 

Thanks Dan

Not sure, ds are quick and easy if time is an issue.

However it does have, joy of joys, individual links, I so enjoy indi link tracks....and if the :poo:I can always take the easy, if costly, option of Fruils!

Hadn't realised the ds tracks could present such an issue, wasn't even worried about the sag as with the schurzen it can't be seen!

Cheers 

Darryl 

37 minutes ago, Longbow said:

That's a great choice, and Lots of photos of Panthers at Kursk, too !!

Looking forward to this one !!

Cheers bud, looking forward to cracking on myself!

Be interested to see your RFM one too.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 21:34, Jasper dog said:

Hadn't realised the ds tracks could present such an issue, wasn't even worried about the sag as with the schurzen it can't be seen!

I've had them fall to bits on me before so I put them in the bin, I just declared my intent to join this GB with a steel wheeled G kit by Dragon, when I went to check my stash there were no other Dragon kits in the build. I'll be using Fruils with my kit.

• Like 1

Just now, Retired Bob said:

I've had them fall to bits on me before so I put them in the bin, I just declared my intent to join this GB with a steel wheeled G kit by Dragon, when I went to check my stash there were no other Dragon kits in the build. I'll be using Fruils with my kit.

I do like the Fruils, even the assembly of them so won't be to big a hardship if I'm forced down that route!

Good luck with the G too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

I do like the Fruils, even the assembly of them so won't be to big a hardship if I'm forced down that route!

I'm with you there Darryl, I have some Modelkastern early Panther tracks, nicely detailed but every link needs the guide horns glued on. :unsure:

• Like 1

Just now, Retired Bob said:

I'm with you there Darryl, I have some Modelkastern early Panther tracks, nicely detailed but every link needs the guide horns glued on. :unsure:

Now that doesn't sound like fun!

That was why I used Fruils on the Meng Jagdpanther earlier this year!

• Like 1

Well I had to start sooner or later.

This really does feel quite a lightweight build after seeing some of the builds going here, however enough waffle. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lower hull essentially done, I tend to add wheels after paint.

All gone together effortlessly, trial dry fit of the glacis plate reveals a possible fit issue but nothing of consequence. Instructions remarkably clear for Dragon so all told no worries....yet.

Has anyone noticed RB models appears to have run out of a lot of items, namely Panther barrels, I can get Aber ones but they're nearly twice the price, darn it!

Another photo of the real thing, for some reason Dragon has decided it only had one headlamp.. thankfully as it has two sprue D I have two headlamps.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

This really does feel quite a lightweight build after seeing some of the builds going here, however enough waffle. 

That's an early boxing, I have one with markings for the Italian front, they re-released it as a premium kit with a new hull with moveable axles, new wheels, lots of p/e a metal barrel and D.S. tracks. :wink:

• Like 1

On 06/10/2020 at 21:01, Jasper dog said:

plus bonus of no Zimm!

Now that's just lazy :D

On 06/10/2020 at 21:34, Jasper dog said:

wasn't even worried about the sag as with the schurzen it can't be seen!

Oh my god....really Darryl i expect more from you.......no zim is one thing but now you really are taking the..................... :cwl:

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Another photo of the real thing, for some reason Dragon has decided it only had one headlamp.. thankfully as it has two sprue D I have two headlamps.

The real thing is by the looks of it a first production run by M.A.N(twin headlights) the one Dragon have modelled is a slightly later production run ...not that there would have been any major differences....just time saving modifications......less wiring to be run no extra welding for the bracket and a 50% saving on headlights which will probably be broken 6 seconds after arriving in the field anyway:D

Good to see youve made a start, will follow with great interest mate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SimonT said:

Quick work.

I was looking for a new barrel a few months ago for the Jagdpanther (Tiger II) and they were like hens teeth to find.  I figured it was due to C-19 not letting people in to the workshops.

Almost ashamed to say it just falls together, so far at least, some plastic barrels are ok but this is two piece with the muzzle brake moulded as part of the barrel, plenty of time yet....

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That's an early boxing, I have one with markings for the Italian front, they re-released it as a premium kit with a new hull with moveable axles, new wheels, lots of p/e a metal barrel and D.S. tracks. :wink:

I have the Italian front boxing of the A and have seen the premium boxing D with the new hull etc. I'm not complaining about the kit at all, after all it's a lazy modellers delight....can you do more than one build for the GB? As a penance I might dig out the early night fight G or the Cyberhobby Panther II 

4 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Now that's just lazy :D

Oh my god....really Darryl i expect more from you.......no zim is one thing but now you really are taking the..................... :cwl:

Thanks......pal!

As I might have mentioned above, I can improve it, zimm would be wrong obviously but I'm tempted to get some Fruils and I'll give it a pretty paint job and maybe a little chap to go with it, honest guv!

I'll add the extra headlamp as the original photo is one of the two options in the box, ooops!

Another example of my indolent approach to this GB, using kit supplied markings, me so bad.....I hang my head in shame. If I where Japanese I should take the honourable course of action!

Just as well I'm not, so tough!☺

As I mentioned above I can always do another.....I  never realised how any Panthers I had! Even have one with a railway flat bed...the flat bed makes the Jagdpanther look like a walk in the park btw!

Must crack on, the time i spend chuntering on on here I could be catching up with Lee!

Thanks chaps, great to have the comments.

Cheers, breakfast whisky time!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

As I mentioned above I can always do another

I vote for the Panther II :penguin:

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Even have one with a railway flat bed...the flat bed makes the Jagdpanther look like a walk in the park btw!

I want that kit, I have the old Azimut-Ironside SSYMS heavy flatcar which is likely to be a pain to put together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1