Arc En Ciel Desk Model L335 1964. FINISHED

TonyW

22 hours ago, TonyW said:

it can be very satisfying to bring an old kit back from the grave

You say it! My own restoration projects keep me away from more recent kits. That's why I like yours so much. Here is one which went through several iterations.

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

You say it! My own restoration projects keep me away from more recent kits. That's why I like yours so much. Here is one which went through several iterations.

That Boeing looks fantastic.

Kit Rescue, you know it makes sense.

Tony.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More than a month since any progress on this one. Shameful! 

I got back on it this afternoon with a full on sanding session. The plane so far had been flatted off, filled, flatted, filled endlessly, and then finally got a coat of gloss black to see how things were looking. Not too bad was the answer.

Then followed todays work, flatting the black right back with 1000, 2000 and 3000 W+D paper to get things ready for the S 'n J treatment. 

20210103-210750.jpg

Rather than the hoped for straight high gloss black finish, I got a shiny and smooth coat of many colours. Not to worry, it probably means things have shrunk a bit since I last worked on it. It can't be my bodywork, can it?

I'll be adding a few coats of gloss black tomorrow which will have to dry thoroughly before a, hopefully, final polish to a high shine. Then the chrome effect treatment can be attempted.

The Wheels, struts and props will be dealt with while the black dries out, along with the Heller stand it's going to sit on.

• Like 4

More progress. A few wet coats of gloss black went on this morning. They have highlighted a couple of small areas that need further attention. I'll let things harden, then sort out the blems followed by more top coats and then yet more drying time.

20210104-115323.jpg

It's got a bit of the Batplanes about it at the moment...

batplane.jpg

Nice, but it needs to be moving more into Silver Surfer territory...

Fantastic-Four-72-01.jpg

Things are a bit slow paced here, what with all the drying times and suchlike but I'm really enjoying seeing the thing emerge from the disaster it once was.

Tony.

• Like 8

Wow! That looks amazing Tony! I can see that sitting atop a nice Art Deco desk. Interesting how the finish emphasises the lines of the aircraft. Got me thinking though just how much rudder authority the aircraft had...or didn't have.

• Thanks 1

Today see's the Arc getting a flat off with 3000 paper, followed by another two wet coats of black. The shine is much deeper now.  It may well get a repeat tomorrow as I want plenty of paint on it for the final cut and polish. 

20210105-222701.jpg

The wheel spats have been flatted off as the deco looking rivets didn't look right against the smooth airframe any more. I need to fill a couple of areas before primer and paint can go on and I'll take care of that tomorrow.

The original support struts have also been sanded smooth and I hope to be able to use them on the plane. The ends need sorting first though.

By a miracle, the original props have all still got their blades! I'll drill the engine fronts and pin the bosses. I'll also make a set of clear disc props so I can alternate as desired.

20210105-223742.jpg

Bit by bit, I'm getting there.

Tony.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jpthedog said:

Looking good and very shiny - what black paint are you using? JP

Pound shop rattle can gloss black, over hi build primer filler.

The black is a little hot, it's cheap paint for a reason I guess, and seems to pull the filler about a bit. It will cut back to a smooth surface eventually, as long as I let it dry properly before polishing it.

The Javelin I did years ago is now showing slight shadows where panel lines were filled. That one was my first attempt at this kind of finish and it looks like I didn't let things gas off properly. It's come back to bite me years later!

Tony.

14 hours ago, TonyW said:

Pound shop rattle can gloss black, over hi build primer filler.

The black is a little hot, it's cheap paint for a reason I guess, and seems to pull the filler about a bit. It will cut back to a smooth surface eventually, as long as I let it dry properly before polishing it.

The Javelin I did years ago is now showing slight shadows where panel lines were filled. That one was my first attempt at this kind of finish and it looks like I didn't let things gas off properly. It's come back to bite me years later!

Tony.

Tony well done with the rattle can. I have Halfords gloss black in a can but trying to move away from rattle can primers etc as they are too vigorous after the control afforded by an airbrush. Agree leave to cure before polishing etc 

• Like 1

An extraordinary transformation of this plane! I was going to say "wreck"..... Is that too insulting!?? Only because I started back on the first posts. 

(and thanks for the TinTin telegram - laughed out loud again.... 🤣

Looking forward to seeing the final steps in the process. I'm guessing this is the plan for the Connie's metalwork as well?? 

Lovely..... 😎😍

• Like 1

The Constellation will be getting a similar finish Rob. If it comes out like the FROG Comet I did, I'll be one happy chappie!

The Arc will be a bit more abstract in that most of the detail Heller provided will be lost. I'm hoping the overall shape of the airframe will be detail enough. 

IMG-9877.jpg

• Like 3

More of the same, I'm afraid. Another flat off with 3000 paper, followed by the last of the can of gloss black. I got two more very wet coats out of it.

20210107-141403.jpg

That will have to do for now. There's no way I'm adding another brand of paint over that lot, Sods Law says anything new would react badly. I think there's more than enough paint on the plane now for me to flat and final polish.

I'll be leaving the plane alone for a few days. By then the paint will be hard enough to start polishing and applying a bit of brightness to it. In the meanwhile I'll crack on with the undercarriage and stand. With a bit of luck, this one should be done next week.

Tony.

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

One week to go. Best I get a move on then!

Modelling time has been a bit sparse recently, but with the finish line in sight and with a whole load of near done builds sat here, I will just have to make room for building.

The ARC got a full on S 'n J application and polish job on the airframe last night. I kept putting fingerprints on it as I worked. A pair of cotton gloves solved that problem and made polishing very easy.

20210207-114607.jpg

One of the big Heller stands also got a bit of attention and things are back on track with the build. I'll be attacking the undercarriage today and this build will be in the Gallery early in the week!

• Like 5