1/48 Stearman Display aircraft

This is my 1/48 Revell Boeing Stearman N4786N, display aircraft and my second civilian aircraft in a row after completing my DH60 Cirrus Moth last week.

I have to say it is a great kit and goes together very well with good positive fit on the parts.

The red prop tips are a bit spurious but I added them after looking at a number of photos online  .  There are no photos I could find of the machine in this scheme however there were earlier images of it in a Blue and white scheme with chequered tail and sunburst pattern on the wings.   The owner had named it after his wife Terry.   The name on the cowling was Terryfic.

The plane  succumbed to an accident in  21st May 1971, where it failed to execute a proper recovery from an inverted Spin and crashed and was damaged beyond repair.

This is the first time I have used Prym elastic thread which was great and I was able to rig the plane with the wing just glued onto the fuselage struts and then add the main wing struts after.  The Prym thread stick immediately in the holes when the end was dipped into CA glue which meant all the rigging was completed with an hour or there abouts. 

The only issue I had was with the scallop decals on the wings Tailplane just getting it to conform.   I ended up painting the red over these and over the rim of the engine cowling. 

I think this is a Great fun model that would be a good choice for anyone who's not done a biplane before.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris 

• Like 45

Hi Chris,

absolute stunning work. This is really a show stopper! And I agree PRYM elastic is really nice stuff and not even expensive. And now we will start the 32 one from ICM? 
Best regards

Andy  

• Thanks 1

Where to start? Beautiful work on the white paint, the red trim is outstanding. The wear where the wing walker would stand is most convincing. A beautiful rendition of a very attractive airplane. Well done!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Chris,

absolute stunning work. This is really a show stopper! And I agree PRYM elastic is really nice stuff and not even expensive. And now we will start the 32 one from ICM? 
Best regards

Andy  

Thanks Andy that's really kind of you.   Oooooo the ICM one, very nice. Good luck with your build 

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Where to start? Beautiful work on the white paint, the red trim is outstanding. The wear where the wing walker would stand is most convincing. A beautiful rendition of a very attractive airplane. Well done!

Thanks SAT69.   It's a cracking kit to build.

20 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Beautiful job Chris,..... this one has turned out fabulously.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony very kind

Chris

• Like 1

That's a great build of a beautiful aircraft, Chris ! 

Wholeheartedly concur with foregoing comments of admiration.

There's one on my display shelf along with its brother in AAF Trainer blue and yellow.

I nearly built the blue and white version but decided the red and cream looked more cool.

Rog

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Moa said:

Chris, this is a wonderful model!

Superbly done, sir!

More like this,. please!

Thanks Moa very kind of you.  I have some civilian machines to do so will be more coming 

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work! :clap2:

Thanks dnl42 

10 hours ago, roginoz said:

That's a great build of a beautiful aircraft, Chris ! 

Wholeheartedly concur with foregoing comments of admiration.

There's one on my display shelf along with its brother in AAF Trainer blue and yellow.

I nearly built the blue and white version but decided the red and cream looked more cool.

Rog

Thanks Rog, very kind indeed, it was a great kit to build and I looked at the other too but decided this one looked better.  I bet the pair you have look great together on display. 

5 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful Looking Stearman, truly excellent Modelling !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman for your kind comments. 

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Wow - superb finish Chris! The rigging is a work of art. Awesome work,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger and thanks for your support too.  The rigging was very simple and quick what with the good fit and elasticated thread. 

Thanks to all for your kind comments 

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epeeman said:

Great work, Chris -

Lovely colourful biplane and very nicely rigged!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave very kind of you, the colourful scheme attracted me to it, the great fit allows rigging prior to wing struts being fitted which made it quick and easy to rig.

1 hour ago, WildeSau75 said:

easily one of the best models of the last weeks. love the scheme - you nailed it! 

Wow thank you WildeSau75  very much indeed, it is a very enjoyable kit to build. Revell are to be congratulated on this one too.

Chris

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A wonderful model of a most worthy subject!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim very kind.

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Outstanding work, Chris. Does the Prym just come in one diameter?

Thanks Vinnie much appreciated.   The one I used is 0.5mm thread and the product serial number is 977 770 from what I recall it also comes in 0.7mm size too.  Its very cheap on  Ebay at around £4 and comes in a 200 metre roll.  So will last a fair while!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

17 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Hi Chris....

The old Stearman is superb! Just beautiful. I really really like this. Outstanding work on the rigging, too! Wow. :thumbsup:

Wow thank you Challenger350pilot for the compliment,  that's very kind of you 

Chris