No. L760 R8 Gordini

tangerine_sedge

Hi,

this is starting to look like the real thing. Super well done to ave conquered all the curved balls this kit has thrown at you.

Do not forget to weather the passenger seat to show the sweat stains left behind by terrified passengers!!!!

Great show!

JR

The first model with a rubber roll bar I've come across! How very French.

Nice work so far. The blue suits the car perfectly.

I've found that although old Humbrol gloss paints will smooth out without leaving brush marks, tiny air bubbles rise as the paint dries, but don't break the surface. They look like dust once dry. I've never completely eliminated them but they can be minimised by not overbrushing the paint or pushing too hard on it. A bit of thinner helps as well. I watch the paint as I put it on. Bubbles form as the brush passes, I keep a tiny brush to one side that I gently go over the bubble with. They usually pop and dissapear first pass. If you end up overbrushing, the paint starts to set a bit and then brushmarks appear and can take a set. Keeping a wet edge is also important.

As soon as the paint is on, I put everything under cover to dry as enamel takes a while to dry properly.

It's hard to describe the process but easier to do for real.

• Like 1

Nice to see R8 Gordini so well performing! My first car was a dull older sister of her - the R 10 Major. I used it in 1983-89 dreaming on power of Gordini. I dig out her photo: 

50534298883_f4e4b17475_b.jpg

Extra lamps were the visible sign of a Gordini dreaming on... ;)  .A lot of memories... Sometimes I am thinking on conversion of R8 into R10, since there is no model of R10 I think.

Regards

J-W

• Like 5

spacer.png

Thanks for the support guys, hopefully she'll be on her wheels soon!  Interior almost complete, just the rear view mirror to add and the body shell to squeeze on!

And yes, as predicted the rubber roll cage is a pain in the a$$, being both difficult to attach and being slightly bent out of shape.

Edited to add : and you'll notice the part number '14' stamped on the back of the engine cover which was missed on first pass tidy up and never removed...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JWM said:

Nice to see R8 Gordini so well performing! My first car was a dull older sister of her - the R 10 Major. I used it in 1983-89 dreaming on power of Gordini. I dig out her photo: 

50534298883_f4e4b17475_b.jpg

Extra lamps were the visible sign of a Gordini dreaming on... ;)  .A lot of memories... Sometimes I am thinking on conversion of R8 into R10, since there is no model of R10 I think.

Regards

J-W

At least your car has wing mirrors, the R8 doesn't seem to have any!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

At least your car has wing mirrors, the R8 doesn't seem to have any!

To be precise had one on the left (driver) side, and it was no included in new car (at 1968) similar like safety belts (!) which were added  during exploitation and were only on front seats. This car was twice (!) in fire, both time lucky extinguished and repaired, the second time with two my children (age two and four) inside, my wife was evacuating them and I was extinguishing fire in engine compartment (with help of some by passing taxi driver...) .   That was a time!

Regards

J-W

• Sad 1

Getting there....  headlights and indicators attached.  The headlights consist of a yellow bulb, a chrome reflector, then glass on the front.  Very effective!

spacer.png

The rear lights are less effective, the red is a little washed out and pink, but they'll have to do.  The engine cover doesn't quite close as the hinge just fouls the oil filler (? Maybe) cap

spacer.png

Edited to add : almost forgot, joined the chassis to the bodywork.  The front wheels foul the wheel arches, but doesn't look too bad...

• Like 6

On 10/27/2020 at 4:54 PM, JWM said:

This car was twice (!) in fire, both time lucky extinguished and repaired, the second time with two my children (age two and four) inside, my wife was evacuating them and I was extinguishing fire in engine compartment (with help of some by passing taxi driver...) .   That was a time!

Not just twice! I have survived two fires of this car (in July 1977 and September 1981) before you received your driving licence. A real Fireball :)

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On the home stretch now.  The only casualty of the damaged box, was a snapped front bumper, so a small piece of plasticard and some glue and the bumper is 'fixed'.  The split will be hidden by the Monte Carl participation board, so a lucky escape...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The black bump bars will be touched up and lamps etc added nearer the end of the build...

• Like 2

Added the chrome chase lines down the sides, door handles and windscreen / back screen. 

Whoever designed the sprue gate locations deserves a stiff talking to, each chrome trim needed careful clean up and a touch up with the chrome pen (genius buy!!).  I've just noticed a few bits that I missed!  I've also noticed a slight fogging and a few marks from using super glue on various bits (which I never normally use).

The decals are starting to go on now.  Just the stripes, windscreen wipers and bumpers to go!

Hopefully I'll complete this today/tomorrow...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Wow! That looks really smart and so nice to see something a little different in the car kit stakes. Nice work! What were Heller thinking with that rubber roll cage thingy?

Steve

3 hours ago, Chimpion said:

Looking really good and puts me to shame. I've had one in work for over a year. I've also struggled with dust from Humbrol 14 (wondered if it was in the brushes) and also missed the number 14 part mark.

Luckily I'm on holiday this week, so lots of progress...I'm also ignoring the other kits on the shelf of doom :)

And I'm calling this one done!  Stripes added, bumpers attached and windscreen wipers fixed in place.  I've left off the additional foglights as (a) they looked a little bit anaemic, and (b) they had small attachment points that was going to drive me mad!

The good things :

Opportunity to try lots of new techniques and use new products.  Tamiya clear Orange is great!

Chrome pens are 'ace'!

Old Heller models are pretty good, more will follow!

Hardly any flash!

Opportunity to use an old Humbrol paint thats been sat in my paintbox for 20 years.

The bad things :

Rubber sprues - just no!

Sprue gates should not be placed where the part detail is.  Most of my build was spent trying to clean up the parts.

Superglue is excellent and also leaves marks everywhere.

Old paint should be thrown away.

Rubber sprues - stupid decision.

In summary, this is a fundamentally good mold, and a better modeller than me could make an award winning model from this  but would require scratch building to replace the stupid rubber bits...

Thanks for the group build nominater, I'm now a convert to old Heller kits.  On saying that, the next model is a Tamiya Porsche GT1!

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

So French, So Blue and So Heller in more ways than one! 

That's really turned out wonderfully well, a beautifully executed build from start to finish. 

Cheers.. Dave