No. L760 R8 Gordini

tangerine_sedge

So, the Gordini finally arrived.  The vendor said the box was slightly damaged on the ebay listing, when I received it, one end was totally squished...oops.

spacer.png

<rant>f&$%ing app developers, can't they stop f&$%ing around with their f&$%ing apps? Utter c*%$s the lot of them.  When I swap between Firefox tabs, i.e. to copy paste images, it refreshes the page, hence throwing away my edits.  Looks like I'm getting rid of firefox very soon.  F&$%wits the lot of them</rant>

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The Renault 8 Gordini has been the rallye car I loved the most when I was young. Oh so sexy!

One day, the Prefet's driver, who was a glider pilot as well, asked me if I wanted to accompany him for some rallye training in his R8 Gordini... Blue , like your model...

Stupidly, i said yes. The nest couple of hours have been some of the scariest ones of my life, pedal to the metal on Alpine roads, through air pin bends, etc...

Truly a car for the gods!

So yes., I will follow your build!

JR

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

spacer.pngThis will definitely be the Monte Carlo rally version, although in their wisdom Heller made the roll cage from rubber, so if I can't get it looking right, I might have to backtrack...

The sprues seem really crisp for such an old mold, I can only assume it's never been a great seller in the past and hasn't been repopped very often.  If all old Hellers are like this, then I'm going to add a few more to the stash.

• Like 5

Brush painted on the first coat of very old humbrol 14 (bought 20+ years ago for the 1/72 Airfix Mustang and never used again!).

Very streaky, but actually not too bad.  I think it'll look OK under a gloss coat.

Edited to add : it'll definitely need at least 2 coats of the blue :)

spacer.png

• Like 9

The engine bay is almost complete and the rear suspension is in place.  I thought the 4 wheels were the same, but they seem to be in pairs, 2 front and 2 rear, though it's not clear which is which until I try them out.  What could possibly go wrong?  :)

spacer.png

• Like 6

The second coat of blue has just gone on, and it now looks a little darker and more like the correct shade.  There appear to be quite a few dust specks and particles in the paint, so a light polish may be in order....

spacer.png

Edited by tangerine_sedge
edited fou spollink...
  • Like 9

The fun continues!  I buffed some of the worst imperfections out of the paint and put down a 3rd coat.  I think that the paint is the problem as there are still some speckles in the paintwork...grrr.

The chassis is just about finished, just the interior to do, i.e. seats, dashboard and door cards.

The wheels were an absolute @&%$# to get on the hubs, involved judicious wittling and glueing to get them right.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Started on some of the bodywork detailing.  Almost all the small bits have their sprue gates on the detail you are trying to keep, and not on the peg which will hold them in place on the bodywork.  This kit is proving to be excellent and infuriating in equal measures.

Got some paint on the clear parts.  The Tamiya Orange is good, but the revell 'klear' red is really wishy washy and gloopy...

spacer.png

• Like 2