Airfix 1/72 Dornier Do17z

Afternoon all,

Thought I'd share build 19 for the year, fresh off the bench and a return to my Battle of Britain theme. Started 5 years ago, but quickly put back in the box for some reason. Quite a fiddly build in places and another harsh reminder that my glazing work has much room for improvement... The cockpit had some help from Eduard's interior zoom PE, and the main markings come from an Xtradecal sheet. Finished as ever using Hataka Orange Line paints.

50427205348_173731322e_o.jpg6W7A5591 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50427205313_4d2c126a71_o.jpg6W7A5592 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50428073857_8dd2092b74_o.jpg6W7A5593 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50428073827_9b2ddff201_o.jpg6W7A5595 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50428073807_dcc546645b_o.jpg6W7A5597 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as always,

Shaun

Edited by Seamus
  • Like 62
  • Thanks 1

I am in the final throes of a similar build (same decals) but have serious thoughts of now chucking the thing in the bin.

I have a great admiration for modellers with such skills.

I'm stuck at the 10 year old me level (I'm considerably older).  Which isn't a very good level, believe me.

Wonderful model. 

I'll now go and retire into a corner and weep.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

I am in the final throes of a similar build (same decals) but have serious thoughts of now chucking the thing in the bin.

I have a great admiration for modellers with such skills.

I'm stuck at the 10 year old me level (I'm considerably older).  Which isn't a very good level, believe me.

Wonderful model. 

I'll now go and retire into a corner and weep.

Don’t do that!   😂

Nicely done!  These new Airfix kits build up quite well!  

I'm not a fan of the Flying Pencil, but I do plan to build the RS kit of the ka-1, which my late godfather flew/navigated in the Yugoslav Royal Air Force.  Your kit is further inspiration.

• Like 1

A rather self-effacing post, when your finished article looks excellent to me!

As for your glazing work, it doesn't seem to present any particular need for improvement at all.

All-round, a damn fine model of a nice subject!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

That’s a cracker @Seamus.. well done on all fronts, looks so good from every angle. Very well modelled. 

Now @FatFlyHalf, I agree that we are our own worst critics and believe me I’m still way off building that flawless kit myself, however these great builds are supposed to motivate us not make us take up another hobby. Might be an idea to put your Dornier kit away for a while and tackle something smaller. The trick is to master the art of ‘recovery’.. most of us fall in a trap during each build, the art is to think it through and recover the issue (somehow) when it happens. Chin up and model on. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a cracker @Seamus.. well done on all fronts, looks so good from every angle. Very well modelled. 

Now @FatFlyHalf, I agree that we are our own worst critics and believe me I’m still way off building that flawless kit myself, however these great builds are supposed to motivate us not make us take up another hobby. Might be an idea to put your Dornier kit away for a while and tackle something smaller. The trick is to master the art of ‘recovery’.. most of us fall in a trap during each build, the art is to think it through and recover the issue (somehow) when it happens. Chin up and model on. 

Cheers.. Dave

What Dave says (to both Posters).

Duncan B

• Like 1