F-4D 479th TFS

iainpeden

I'm busy with the Hobby 2000 F-4D (Terrible Tyke 60-279) and finding it hard to find good photos as opposed to profiles and completed models.

I managed to find the b/w picture in this thread, looked hard and I suspect that 60-279 had the red turbine stripe through the fuselage insignia - whereas in the coloured picture that a/c clearly haven't.

http://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108295

Any thoughts?

All of the Air Force F-4s that I have been around had the red turbine warning stripe.  I suspect that the one color photo of an AF F-4 was not the greatest quality and in reality the stripe was there.  The Navy apparently didn't worry about the turbine warning stripe as much as the AF does.  I spent a lot of time around the F-4Ds of the 81st TFW at RAFs Bentwaters and Woodbridge from March of 75 to March of 77.

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 4:36 PM, iainpeden said:

I'm busy with the Hobby 2000 F-4D (Terrible Tyke 60-279) and finding it hard to find good photos as opposed to profiles and completed models.

I managed to find the b/w picture in this thread, looked hard and I suspect that 60-279 had the red turbine stripe through the fuselage insignia - whereas in the coloured picture that a/c clearly haven't.

http://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108295

Any thoughts?

Both 66-8738 (colour photo) and 66-0279 (b/w photo) show the red stripe behind the national insignia.

Jens

I don't think 66-0279 (not 60-279, no F-4s were ordered in FY 1960.) was assigned to the 497th TSF, according to United States Military Aviation: Air Force by Robert J. Archer it was assigned to the 48th TFW then 474th TFW, not to the 8th TFW.

Regarding the red turbine stripe on the F-4s of the 497th TFS, I don't know if "Terrible Tyke" had it or not, but there are many photos of the 497th's F-4 without the red stripe can be found in a book titled Wolfpack Hunting MiGs Over Vietnam by Jerry Scutts.

I'm posting a scan of my color photo of F-4D 66-8730 without red stripe for your reference.

0000275.jpg

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Edited by Junchan

Thanks Junchan - that is really useful.

I have gone back to the instructions and they show Terrible Tyke as 66-6279 - the tail code is represented on the instructins and the decal sheet as  AF60 - 270 (AF60 in small black font, 279 in large white). The photo in the link I posted confirms the 279 part but whether it's AF60 or AF66 is anybody's guess.

I agree about the red stripe not always being applied but again I have a feeling from the b/w picture that it's there on -279. Also clear that -279 doesn't have the formation lights whereas 66-8730 in yours does.

Thanks again

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

I have gone back to the instructions and they show Terrible Tyke as 66-6279 - the tail code is represented on the instructins and the decal sheet as  AF60 - 270 (AF60 in small black font, 279 in large white). The photo in the link I posted confirms the 279 part but whether it's AF60 or AF66 is anybody's guess.

No, it really isn't. It can only be 66-0279. It would have read "AF60-279" on the tail. And, as I mentioned earlier, 279 did have the red stripe.

Jens

• Like 1

Sorry, but it is the 497th TFS, Nite Owls that the decals are for, not the 479th. They were one of the F-4 units in SEA with F-4 with black bottoms. Simple transposing of the two digits. Posted for those, albeit probably very few,  who might be confused. Couldn't google a 479th TFS. 

Grant