New Eduard decals with peel off carrier film

lesthegringo

I've been watching this a few times, and I'm trying to work out why all the decal adhesive stuff is being used, and why there are two of them. 

I'll search for more details and see if I can find a more descriptive process with reasons

Les

Try to read this thread

https://modelersalliance.org/threads/eduards-new-decals.155482/

A user got this response from Eduard

"Regarding the new decals - they can be recognized by having a production date on them - 23.06.2020 and forward.
Its true the coat can be removed once dried, but it requires some skills and experience. We do not suggest to our customers they should or need to do this. The decals can be worked with the same way as before- with the older once.
So using the method of removing the top layer is up to the customer - at their own risk."

Didn’t knew that the spits had the new type of decal..but worked with that type of decal before with the HGW rivets sets and they work like a charm..

But there is a but as your surface must me gloss coated to use these to their full potential but it will look da part..

cheers, Jan

Seems that Eduard never intended or designed their transfers to work this way, unlike HGW wet transfers that are designed to have the carrier film removed.

HGW recommend the use of transfer setting solutions, I just uses my normal transfer soaking water with around 10% white vinegar and they work just fine.

To me the HGW transfer's are a water slide transfer step change, just need a wider selection.

57 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Looks like a load of faffing about for little extra benefit.

Better try them for myself before condemnation.

Rog

I agree to a point - but consider a natural metal or painted silver finish, where there is no carrier film to spoil lettering and stenciling, or where they are applied on transparencies. HGW do stenciling for many aircraft that are their 'wet transfer' type for this exact reason - think MiG 15 / 17 / 19 / 21, P-47 / 51, B-17 / 29, F-86 / 100 etc. 

The fact that they come with the model you are buying means you don't have to dip into the aftermarket, and there is nothing obliging you to remove the carrier film. As ever it's an alternative that gives you a choice, but this time without having to pay extra. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and while I am optimistic, as you you say I will try them before finally deciding whether it is worth doing.

Cheers

Les 

• Like 1

Why won't Eduard tell you the best way of removing the film instead of just saying at your own risk.Looks like they've come up with an idea that hasn't been tested properly by themselves to work reliably

26 minutes ago, colin said:

Why won't Eduard tell you the best way of removing the film instead of just saying at your own risk.Looks like they've come up with an idea that hasn't been tested properly by themselves to work reliably

Or maybe it wasn’t intended from their side?

• Like 1

Reading between the lines of what I've seen posted elsewhere, it seems that is is an unintended consequence of the new digital printing process used to produce their own decals, and it was discovered by chance. HGW do wet transfer decals that presumably use a similar method but tailored to give that as an intended property. Maybe Eduard will finesse their own process and start marketing it if they can get it to be more reliable

Les

• 5 months later...
On 10/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, dromia said:

Seems that Eduard never intended or designed their transfers to work this way, unlike HGW wet transfers that are designed to have the carrier film removed.

HGW recommend the use of transfer setting solutions, I just uses my normal transfer soaking water with around 10% white vinegar and they work just fine.

To me the HGW transfer's are a water slide transfer step change, just need a wider selection.

Having just got my first of these new decals it is clear that's what they are designed for, some one just didn't tell the marketing team - if it wasn't on purpose then it was a big screw up. They look indentical to FCM decals which have a peelable film, rather large and splotchy finish.

Eduard said they are doing a tutorial in there May Info Eduard on how to peel the film off.  

Been there ..tried them ..... forget it. Nice idea ..... might as well go back to the dry rub down. ( and the decals as well ) :analintruder:

Dick

Totally unimpressed.

I have just used these decals on a Spitfire Mk1.  They worked perfectly with just a couple of provisos.  First, putting a second decal on top of an existing one doesnt work.  The second decal simply wont stick and just lifts off.  Secondly ( and this isnt neccesarily a problem ) Clear doesnt stick to the surface.  I needed to mask over the lower wing decals and was worried that the decals would be damaged.  I put a coat of clear over the markings before masking and when I removed the masking tape the decals were fine but the clear coat was removed completely.  I suspect that when printed there is some sort of non stick coating which helps the carrier film to come off easily.

I am not entirely convinced that these are the way forward but on natural metal finishes I can see their advantages.  Would I use them again? Yes

29 minutes ago, geoff m said:

Secondly ( and this isnt neccesarily a problem ) Clear doesnt stick to the surface.

Were you using an oil or acrylic based clear?

Clear may not be a problem except with regard to getting a uniform finish, but I presume this coating would also resist the application of weathering materials which may be a big issue for some - nothing looks odder than a well weathered aircraft with bright clean markings!

I'm sure these new decals will have their uses, but perhaps not as a complete replacement for traditional decals

Cheers

Colin

Colin.  I should have said that I was using Johnsons Clear which I believe to be acrylic.

I've used these decals on Eduard's double kit of the Czech Cmelak crop sprayers/dusters, having read all the adverse comments, and advice on removing the decal film, with some degree of trepidation.

I need not have worried, however, the decals behaved faultlessly, even without removing the decal film which I was prepared to do if  it showed up.

To my great relief, not a skerrick of silvering, the film is totally invisible and bedded down a damn sight better than many other brands of decal i have used.

I have to admit that the decals were used over light coloured paint, the darkest being red. How they would behave over a dark finish, eg wartime cammo, I can't say. Nevertheless I am more than prepared to use them again if/when I build a kit in which they are included.

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come across this thread after noticing this on my 1/48th Spitfire. I wish I knew this sooner, I looked at the Eduard instructions and there is no mention of this but I managed to find the edge of the transfer and off it peeled.

The results are really something else, its given the model a look as though I've painted them on. Hopefully the other Eduard kits I've got are like this aswell, its a pretty nice addition. 

• 6 months later...