How many Phantoms can you get in a bath?

Truly outstanding collection.

My wife complained about me buying an Airfix Stirling and Tomcat yesterday.

I’ll show her this to show he what a collection could be like😏

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments and as the padded white van hasn't turned up to take me away I assume nobody reckons I'm totally nuts.

To answer a few questions I've received.

Dad and I started making Phantoms when the (1960s) Airfix kit appeared at about the same time as the first Microscale and Modeldecal sheets; and they were the only aftermarket sheets available - what a change to today. We made a lot and at one point bought Airfix Phantoms in bulk - 24 at a time.

My own collection got going after I moved out to get married 34 years ago - the first 4 being XV470 in 2 and 56 squadron marking and Bicentennial VF-151 and VF-161. 

To preserve the decals they are all sealed - originally a spray we used to seal chalk pictures at school but now a mixture of Klear and Hannants acrylic matt varnish.

Largest collection - I have heard of larger ones - @Rhino  (Ted of the IPMS UK F-4 SIG) might know.

Having done this audit I have172 with 1 on the go and 2 in plan (i.e. taken out of the stash in the loft and matched to decals)

The stash - 50 unmade

If you saw the F-4 SIG 50th anniversary display at Telford in 2008, 80 of mine were there.

Thanks again

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

When it was time to pack up, how did you know which ones were yours? I guess a parent just knows.

A small sticky dot under the port wing. One actually went missing for 2 years until the leader of the SIG found it in his store.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gene K said:

So how many FineMolds will be added?? 

:thumbsup:

What's your favorite kit, in "each"scale?

Gene K

Hi Gene

I have 2 Fine Molds kits on order - the blue scheme and the dark grey/dark green one. 

Favourite kits - hmm.

In 1/48th it's the Hasegawa ones - but I have also made Monogram, Italeri and Revell. I enjoy my modelling but to my standard so I'd rather have 3 at £20 each than 1 at £60. 

In 1/72. The most used kit is the Esci one for many of the USN a/c which I find straightforward to make and it looks right. I have used Hasegawa for USAF/ANG and JASDF - as much for the decal options as anything but always find the front fuselage joint tricky. I think the Italeri one has the best slatted wing of all of them and the later Revell ones look a bit pinched but decals are good. I am down to  my last 3 Esci C/Js so I'm beginning to panic as I have had a check of the decal sheets I have.

For the Spey engine a/c (RAF/RN)in 1/72 - it has to be Fujimi as I don't think the Airfix one should be allowed to be sold it's that poor. (but don't get me started on that one).

I once (many many years ago) made a 1/32 Revell one but that ended up as a target for my teen aged air rifle practice.

As to my wife's reaction when she got home. First comment was "I hope those weren't wet when you put them on the bed", the second comment "Why didn't you dust the desk while you were at it?"🤐

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Favourite kits - hmm.

Pretty much my feelings ... except in 1/72 where I love the now-superseded-by-FM Hasegawa kits.

As to my wife's reaction  

:like:

Gene K

On 10/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, Duncan B said:

Oh boy are you in trouble if the Mrs comes home early.

Duncan B

On 10/12/2020 at 7:13 PM, iainpeden said:

As to my wife's reaction when she got home. First comment was "I hope those weren't wet when you put them on the bed", the second comment "Why didn't you dust the desk while you were at it?"🤐

Just imagine this scene ...  wife returns home and there is a Phantom's in bed ... she goes to the bathroom and there is also a Phantom's ...probably there was also a F-4J Phantom VX-4 "Black Bunny"  somewhere?

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

Damn! Someone is a Phantom-Fan :D And rightly so, love the Phantom. Built a few myself over the years and now trying to get a 1/48th short nose Phantom but don't know which one. Eduard has some tasty liveries and editions, heard some good stuff about the Academy F4J and of course there is the Zoukei-Mura kit. Any recommendations? :)  

Ian!

WOW! That is incredible! Not only the number of them but the quality. I assume they are all 1/72....anything bigger would require a second home.

That is really awesome that you found your particular niche in the hobby. Truly amazing. Thank you for sharing it. 

How did you get so involved with the Phantom? 

You should get a bumper sticker

Hello I am Ian 

and I am a Phantomaholic

LOL

All the Best!

Don

• Thanks 1

Phabulous collection! 

It's funny how even two shelves full of model planes starts to get funny looks but the lady in our lives can have an unlimited amount of baking equipment and shoes! 😂

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 6:31 AM, RupertTheBear said:

... now trying to get a 1/48th short nose Phantom but don't know which one. 

In my opinion, unquestionable that the ZM is superior in all respects, but at a cost (totally worth it).  There has been a lot of gnashing of teeth about the ZM rear fuselage shape, but many (like me) are hard pressed to spot it without the contour drawings that point it out.  Hypersonic has a correction set that has gotten great reviews. Here's the set being used by a BM member.

As an aside, ZM has recontoured this area of their new F-4E kit.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

22 hours ago, Gene K said:

In my opinion, unquestionable that the ZM is superior in all respects, but at a cost (totally worth it).  There has been a lot of gnashing of teeth about the ZM rear fuselage shape, but many (like me) are hard pressed to spot it without the contour drawings that point it out.  Hypersonic has a correction set that has gotten great reviews. Here's the set being used by a BM member.

As an aside, ZM has recontoured this area of their new F-4E kit.

Gene K

Yeah the ZM kit is a beast, but too costly for my taste and skill. I wouldn't do the kit any justice, at least not as much as it deserves and what is possible with it. I'm going for an Academy kit, probably with an Aires resin cockpit. That combo is still less expensive than the Hasegawa or ZM kits and it's possible to build a beautiful Phantom out of the Academy kit :)