Bf109G-10 Night fighter, NJG11

Looks lovely in the all-over light grey. Top weathering too.

Idiot question if I may: Why did the Germans paint these in such a pale colour, when British and US night-fighters and bombers tended to go for black? Any wisdom gratefully received.

Justin

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Idiot question if I may: Why did the Germans paint these in such a pale colour, when British and US night-fighters and bombers tended to go for black? Any wisdom gratefully received.

Justin

The Germans experimented with many colour schemes it was discovered that black created a more visible silhouette. This is evident in most mid to late war planes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedders said:

Justin

47 minutes ago, Walter said:

The Germans experimented with many colour schemes it was discovered that black created a more visible silhouette. This is evident in most mid to late war planes. 

First, the first use of this camo was high altitude day interceptors,  and then the G-10 were for chasing Mosquito's

see 

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7711

this is an old thread, but I note @Jerry Crandall mentioned, he maybe able to add more.

second,  regarding night camo. 

Black, of various forms seemed the obvious answer,  but turned out it wasn't except on moonless nights, causing an aircraft to be silhouetted against the ground,  let alone clouds.

Experiments showed in the case of fighters, both Luftwaffe and RAF, that a pale colour with a upper surface disruptive pattern worked best.

Think early black Mosquito vs later overall Med Sea Grey with disruptive of Dark Green.  

see these monographs

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/06-De-Havilland-Mosquito

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/09-Bristol-Beaufighter

which cover the change over in schemes

The US eventually found that the best black was high gloss Jet, turned out that black appeared grey in searchlights.

I think RAF bombers were Dark Green Dark Earth uppers as much for ground concealment as night camo as well.

There have been threads on this in the WWII section, this is just a very brief outline....

HTH

• Like 2

Thank you for your comment and an informative discussion. 
For some reason, I found overall RLM76 scheme like this very attractive. I think it extends to include the pale PRU Spitfire as well:) 

Nanond