***finished***Heller L083 P-40e

PhantomBigStu

On 10/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, JeroenS said:

Congratulations, you have build 100 🙂 

I hope your auction comes through. 

Cheers, it has, just paid for it :)  

Anyway if our resident Aussie Rabbit leader views this, yes it will be an RAAF build :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice decal sheet there Stu. I’m really impressed by these new Heller boxings, lets hope we see more of the range released this way. 

Cheers.. Dave

Yep, was the decals that tempted me into this one, anyway together now and ready for painting in nice RAAF colours  

50509299367_c9b30b0201_b.jpg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Yep, was the decals that tempted me into this one, anyway together now and ready for painting in nice RAAF colours  

Nice choice young man.. that’s one free Tinny for you! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice choice young man.. that’s one free Tinny for you! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Never had the pleasure of Aussie beer, aside from the well known brand of cistern water marketed as Lager over here......anyway spits together as well though that sadly won't be joining in RAAF markings 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That looks like a nice kit. 

I bought a load of bagged but unboxed Heller P-40s from Hannants a few years back, for the school modelling club. Apparently there had been a leak of some sort which had destroyed the packaging but the kits and decals inside were fine. 

On inspecting an example it turned out they were all Airfix mouldings which, you would have to say, weren't as good looking as the Heller original. Curious. 

There were P-47Ns in the box as well but they were undoubtedly Heller kits.

John 

For its age and older issues maybe, fit on mine was really poor at the wing fuselage join, and it turns out those wheels are too big for the wells, had to use some spares.  Anyway now to touch up the upper camos paint a couple of spare pilots and add the canopies. Also finally ordered the Mirage IV.

Meanwhile whilst the pilots are sorted, been trying to mix the spinner colour to match the decals using spare starter pots of Revell blue and white. Not perfect, could be less purple and more cyan blue, but not being well enough versed with pigments I’m not going to risk it. 

50707602246_ae299de1b5_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stew,

always nice to see a P-40!

It would appear the decal sheet is pretty similar to the one found in the Academy's P-40E.

Hopefully your decals will be consistently better!

Great show.

JR

• 4 weeks later...
  • PhantomBigStu changed the title to ***finished***Heller L083 P-40e

Finished for a second time, ordered a pot of Vallejo blue that I hope would be a better match for the decal, still not close but good enough, also lost the heller bead sight piece but a spares box rummage yeilded a sub peice. Also took delivery of something for a future heller build 

50905712561_b58d2aea5b_b.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations Stu

I do like your "wee" future project in the background, next Blitzbuild is it ?

Cheers Pat 

Now that would be one hell of Blitzbuild miracle......just ordered the Heller kit to use it on now later in the year.  Should have the updated gallery pics for the p-40 up later 

• Like 1