Thornycroft pilot n°15 - Leader 1957 - 1/72

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Your process for making those grills, they look very neat?

Stuart

You can click on that "reveal hidden content" and there it is! 

20 hours ago, longshanks said:

Very nice scratch building Thomas 👍

Re comparison I would prefer to see a ruler mm for larger pieces 

I use the tip of a ball point pen for small pieces

Kev

16 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Tomas, that's a very good radar set. As for size comparison, I agree with Kev above. I think a ruler is best, pen tip, match stick, etc. I don't think coins are a good idea, as they can vary in size themselves. Being Australian I can only guess the size of the coin you've used here. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks guys, so I am going to use something, what is similiar in every country. Do you guys have those lighters in your country? 🙂

61K2iKDdqfL._AC_SL1299_.jpg

• Like 1

Gidday Tomas, Nah, we're not that technologically advanced. We rub two sticks together. 😁

Seriously (for Britmodeller anyway 😀) I nearly suggested them also. They're pretty universal and others use them. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Tomas, Nah, we're not that technologically advanced. We rub two sticks together. 😁

Seriously (for Britmodeller anyway 😀) I nearly suggested them also. They're pretty universal and others use them. Regards, Jeff.

You made me laugh so hard! 😂 I will buy one of them, It will looks great. 

• Like 1

PART 08 - Anchor

So here we go again with my scretch build! Another detail on list is anchor and that should be easy. Wasn't. Four hours of cutting, sharpening and soldering, but I am happy with result. The worst part of this anchor was that anchor shackle. I have made and broken about four of them.

And also I bought lighter to show you actual size! I also updated photo of groubd searcher with lighter.

Anchor01.jpg?ver=0

072.jpg?ver=0

073.jpg?ver=0

• Like 8

PART 09 - Loudspeaker

Another day, another part! At this time I decided to do loudspeaker. It is not possible to recognize from photos what is in front of captain bridge and also It is not possible to recognize it from plan. Every Leader I have seen had there search light, huge reflector, but in comics with Leader there is loudspeaker drawn and also noticed in text, so I decided to make loudspeaker. I have chosen the one from this age, and just do that. What materials I have used for this little piece? Brass, lead, tin, plastic, resin, glass fiber and super glue. 

018.01-Pedloha.jpg?ver=0

018.03.jpg?ver=0

018.02.jpg?ver=0

• Like 11

On 26/10/2020 at 09:14, Steve D said:

Hi Tomas

As a scratch-builder myself, that's some very impressive work, in particular at 1/72nd, it's going to be a special model when complete 👍  

Steve

Thank you so much! I hope that It will look great!

• 2 weeks later...

Almost one month since last post, shame on me. 

PART 10 - Small things matters

I continue with build, but I did lot of things, which just don´t deserve to be here. Right now I work on details, to have them all prepared for painting, so I can make wooden deck with all of those holes, frames and so on. I am challanging myself, so I upgrade my rule. My biggest rule was, that every next model has to be better then the last one. My new rule says, that every next detail should be better then the last one and there are no compromises!

Todays details are really small, and not that important, so I will not spam with photos of their template.

Windlass (6 mm x 3 mm x 4 mm):

023_2.jpg?ver=0

Deck pipes (5 mm x 3 mm, diameter of flange is 2mm):

020_2.jpg?ver=0

Venturi tube (5 mm long x 4 mm high, diameter od vent is 3 mm):

022_2.jpg?ver=0

Coat of Arms (5 mm x 6 mm):

coat-of-arms-of-the-trinity-house-lighth

Trinityhouse.jpg?ver=0

021_2.jpg?ver=0

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Amazing detail work. How did you produce the coat of arms?

Stuart

It´s printed by my 3D printer Anycubic Photon, after I have drawn it. For example, this is drawn and printed windlass for my second build HMCS Snowberry!

Spoiler

2A874C01-4A6A-4D26-93EC-1019ECB107EE.jpg

Edited by TomasBudweis
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This may be the last photo of Leader from June 2022. The landowner wishes it gone, and the owner can't be found.

If you need any other photos, let me know as I'm passing most days. Equally, if anyone has any details or photos on this vessel's history, I'd love to hear it.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 17:48, GreenwoJ said:

This may be the last photo of Leader from June 2022. The landowner wishes it gone, and the owner can't be found.

If you need any other photos, let me know as I'm passing most days. Equally, if anyone has any details or photos on this vessel's history, I'd love to hear it.

spacer.png

I don't know, If I understand perfectly, but is it still there? Not sold? 

We have a serious problem with protecting historic transport vehicles in this country. Traditionally trains were always seen as the big problem due to operational costs, but the preservation sector has largely overcome this by adopting leisure and tourism business models to fund their preservation and operation. It has been so successful that in 2022 new steam locomotives are actually being built! But securing the future of historic ships remains one of the most intractable issues- due to the perfect storm of astronomic costs of restoration, difficulty of finding viable commercial uses for them and the genuinely daunting prospect of funding the ongoing maintenance of something that put simply sits in water but also dissolves in water. To put it in context, if this boat was a significant historic building, it would be protected by listing or scheduling (a statutory protection), which would give it legal status in the planning system, protection from both wilful or negligent destruction, and if it was considered 'at risk' would also give the owners access to various government grants to protect them. And if the owners didn't care, there's provision for local authorities to compulsory purchase the building. There are a lot of heroic organizations working to preserve historic ships in the UK, but the fact remains that nothing similar to statutory protections (other than the ordinary grants made available for museums and tourist attractions) is available to those orgs. The fact remains that I could purchase that boat tomorrow, torch it down to the waterline, and nobody could stop me.

Will